User Tag List

First 1234 Last

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I'm not sure if I'm an Si user, but here is what makes sense to me as fitting the description:

good sense of my internal state
    good muscle memory, able to "learn" things by watching others and feeling how it would be to do it
    physical sense for energy, including a sense for how old objects and buildings are
    unconsciously routinize things- it's hard to get into habits and hard to get out of them
    little memory for facts unless they stand out somehow or are triggered by something
    everything I see reminds me of things I associate with that kind of thing (Si-Ne?)
    good navigation skills, both visual and kinesthetic
    Edit: Another thing: I have a lot of what I feel like are past life memories, and I can sometimes sense other people's.

These things could be Se, and I'm an INFJ; either way I'm very curious.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Tabula View Post
    Its coolness doesn't lend itself well to written descriptions. Mostly, I'm amused by strange this-reminds-me-of-that impressions and feelings that I can't exactly explain, but are really cool to experience.

I remember when I was in dance class as a child, one of the songs reminded me of a giant, crimson, smirking tiki face. I "saw it" in my mind's eye whenever it was played. I can't say how or why that's what it made me see, but it was amusing, nonetheless. These sorts of strange associations happen to me all the time.

I get "feelings" a lot, which are sort of cool, I guess. Whenever I go on vacation, it takes me a long time to "feel" like I'm at home. The feel of homeness is physical to me. I don't know how the hell to explain it. But I carry around this foriegn feeling in my gut which takes awhile to go away.

Now that I think of it, none of this is probably very cool to anyone except me.
    This is the kind of random stuff that can blur lines for me with Ne & Si also. I'll have some random, visual associations with things, or a visual image associated with a feeling that I find very interesting. I think connecting concrete symbols to impressions is very Si.

I've read Si types are more inclined to find a random mental image "morbid", but I imagine sometimes it's simply amusing too.

A difference I sometimes find between me & an actual Si-dom is they can be a bit uncomfortable with the foreign feeling. I guess they will want to sort of attack it, so as to subjugate it to their inner world (find a way to relate it to something known?). I think that's where associations with acquiring and reviewing facts/concrete experience comes in. I know a lot of Si types who like to look stuff up before going somewhere or doing something new. They like to know what to expect I guess (?).

With Ne, you're drawn to & fascinated by novelty because it oozes potential, and lack of a foreign feeling can make you restless, as familiarity feels like a cage. Sometimes though, when something is very, very physical & new, I can get overwhelmed in not knowing how to navigate it. I may rather like the idea of something over its reality because of that, as the reality can turn out to not have potential but just require a kind of physical adaptation that demands too much energy from me. I literally like to go new places, but not be the one to navigate.

In some ways, I see Si types as adapting better there because they DO have a more solid grasp of what is predictable in a tangible way, so even new landscapes can have enough predictability for them to get footing quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Conscious Orientation - Si
    they prefer to stick to the familiar, and find it difficult to adopt anything new. This is connected with their need to see things in a clear setting. If they can bring themselves to accept anything new, they tend to occupy themselves with it until it has become absolutely clear to them. Here is revealed the obstinacy of instinct, with its ever-renewed attack until it has learned to control its object.
    Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    I agree, but ive always wondered what the point of dominant Si is? As a secondary and tertiary it makes sense, even as an inferior it makes sense, but as a dominant?

It just sounds like an extremely bizarre way to perceive information. It also sounds like an incredibly miserable life as well as it appears as a very melancholic function....always wishing it were back at some other point, as the future becomes more grey and dull with each passing moment.....

Bearing in mind I am possibly Si dominant myself.
    And yet you often sound like a Ne-dom to me, incuding this massive aversion to Si

Quote Originally Posted by Conscious Orientation - Si
    Since in most cases there is little external evidence of this inner satisfaction, the lives of these people may sometimes appear to others as anything but happy, arousing compassion, for which there is no real reason.
    Your impression is not uncommon though, which is why I made this thread. I too have a bias against Si, but sometimes I realize my own Si and see how very bizarre & romantic it is & think "Damn it, this is COOL" (see @Southern Kross 's post - I often cannot trace connections though).

There's an arbitrary consistency to a Si-dom that is absolute bizarre to me also (this is Si that I do not relate to). I knew this ISTJ once who wore a plain white shirt & jeans every single day for a year. He had many pairs which were nearly identical. Why did he do this? He just wanted to. He could offer no rational explanation for what compelled him to repeat himself day-in and day-out. It certainly is bland on one hand, but also WEIRD. Most people are not that consistent, especially for no reason. Most people take some comfort in ritual, but it's like this preoccupies the Si type.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    This is the kind of random stuff that can blur lines for me with Ne & Si also. I'll have some random, visual associations with things, or a visual image associated with a feeling that I find very interesting. I think connecting concrete symbols to impressions is very Si.
    What do you think would be the Ne equivalent or the Ne>Si take, if connecting concrete symbols to impressions is Si? Abstract symbols? I have trouble understanding the N function.

I've read Si types are more inclined to find a random mental image "morbid", but I imagine sometimes it's simply amusing too.
    Hmm. I suppose, for me, it depends on the nature of the mental image. Though, it might just be that way for me because I'm a really visual thinker. I'd be interested to know what other SJs think of that.

A difference I sometimes find between me & an actual Si-dom is they can be a bit uncomfortable with the foreign feeling. I guess they will want to sort of attack it, so as to subjugate it to their inner world (find a way to relate it to something known?).
    The feeling itself isn't the uncomfortable part, for me. What bothers me most about it is that it takes awhile for it to abate, so my feelings aren't matching up the way they should, to my mind (i.e., "I'm home, so why do I still feel like I'm not?") It's like I have to steep in my surroundings for a bit before those internal feelings are finally affected in a way that makes sense to me again; the lag is where the uncomfortability is, for me. There is still an element of connecting it to something known, though; if not for my little cache of sense impressions, I wouldn't even know what "homeness" and "foreignness" felt like.

I think that's where associations with acquiring and reviewing facts/concrete experience comes in. I know a lot of Si types who like to look stuff up before going somewhere or doing something new. They like to know what to expect I guess (?).
    Absolutely.

It's more that I need to have an idea of what's expected OF ME in that new situation. [Fe?] Maybe that's the same thing? I dunno. I'm a little hesitant about this one, though, because I know that a lot of my "figuring it out beforehand" is related to having social anxiety disorder. I don't want to embarrass myself by looking foolish in this new situation, so I make DAMN sure I know what I'm getting into, so as to blend in as much as possible. I've found that as I've been getting better, more secure, more confident, I need to know less and less about the new situation. That said, I'm not sure I'm the best one to comment (even though I did ).

With Ne, you're drawn to & fascinated by novelty because it oozes potential, and lack of a foreign feeling can make you restless, as familiarity feels like a cage.
    I think we mean different things by "foreign feelings." I should've said "feeling of foreignness." But anyways.

Sometimes though, when something is very, very physical & new, I can get overwhelmed in not knowing how to navigate it. I may rather like the idea of something over its reality because of that, as the reality can turn out to not have potential but just require a kind of physical adaptation that demands too much energy from me. I literally like to go new places, but not be the one to navigate. In some ways, I see Si types as adapting better there because they DO have a more solid grasp of what is predictable in a tangible way, so even new landscapes can have enough predictability for them to get footing quickly.
    I think we have this in common. It'd seem to be something Se-ers would have the best/easiest/most natural handle on, I think.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Tabula View Post
    What do you think would be the Ne equivalent or the Ne>Si take, if connecting concrete symbols to impressions is Si? Abstract symbols? I have trouble understanding the N function.
    Jung very simply put it as "sensing is seeing what is & intuition is seeing where it's going". Ne is not about abstract symbols so much as Ni is. Ne is a perception of what something external (yet still often intangible) could become. It's seeing potential for things to morph, in which case, a symbol becomes irrelevant because it's too static. The unconscious projects "ideas" onto things, which make them seem "alive" or in a fluid state. The disregarding of common symbols in a culture by using them differently or not at all can look disrespectful; Ne types get accused of such things a lot. Se types do this too; things have no meaning beyond their current context (an extreme Se view). I guess Ni focuses on symbols from the subconscious more than internalizing concrete objects & experiences.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

The Iron Giant

Every damn stupid thing, regardless of its apparent insignificance or sometimes because of it, can without warning rise into a mythical splendid thing that is both completely removed from reality and so deeply derivative of it as to be utterly relevant. My special someone picked a flower for me on her way home and showed it to me on camera in late 2011, and just earlier today I was gazing at the photo of her holding it with such deep appreciation for everything she and that flower mean to me. If the flower still existed, I would have it here and keep it always. All she did was pick a flower for me on the way home.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

^That sounds like connecting concrete symbols to impressions.

So saying stuff like "it smells like the beach" when someone is wearing sunscreen, is Si, I guess. Or maybe that's too general to really apply. I dunno.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

^ Agree. I like @Stephen 's description though. It's more like what a process feels like as opposed to a dry, scientific definition.
    I again get the sense of gleaning as much from a sensory impression as possible by "reliving" it through concrete symbols. Breadth (Se) vs depth (Si) stuff.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Every damn stupid thing, regardless of its apparent insignificance or sometimes because of it, can without warning rise into a mythical splendid thing that is both completely removed from reality and so deeply derivative of it as to be utterly relevant. My special someone picked a flower for me on her way home and showed it to me on camera in late 2011, and just earlier today I was gazing at the photo of her holding it with such deep appreciation for everything she and that flower mean to me. If the flower still existed, I would have it here and keep it always. All she did was pick a flower for me on the way home.

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    ^That sounds like connecting concrete symbols to impressions.

So saying stuff like "it smells like the beach" when someone is wearing sunscreen, is Si, I guess. Or maybe that's too general to really apply. I dunno.
    As far as I understand - Si leaning on a Ne foundation. (Just as dominant Ne leans on a Si foundation.) Si deeply knows what "sunscreen" smells like, and deeply knows what "the beach" smells like. Ne provides the background link.

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    I agree, but ive always wondered what the point of dominant Si is? As a secondary and tertiary it makes sense, even as an inferior it makes sense, but as a dominant?

It just sounds like an extremely bizarre way to perceive information. It also sounds like an incredibly miserable life as well as it appears as a very melancholic function....always wishing it were back at some other point, as the future becomes more grey and dull with each passing moment.....

Bearing in mind I am possibly Si dominant myself.
    With the caveat that this mostly comes from observing my ISFJ significant other - I have often read that Si is intimately linked to the past, which I understand because static entities necessarily exist across through the past-to-present timeframe (unlike Se processes which change through time), and that automatically anchors Si in the past, but Si as a dominant function seems to operate very much in the present. My ISFJ's Si databank (as fixed on a Ne matrix) grows and deepens daily, and is far more up-to-date than my own databank. He is a keen observer of people, places, institutions, organizations, and other static entities. He's quick to know of a new entity, he's quick to know when it changes, and he's quick to know when it is no longer. I don't think there is necessarily always a wishing for the past, though there seems to be a keen awareness of what was better in the past. There also seems to be plenty of room for future anticipation, though future visualizations are generally built with blocks of past experience. Si doms don't seem to be as impacted by the melancholy idealism that NFs are sometimes lost in and seem more ready to work with whatever is at hand, trusting that the past isn't a lost utopia but a re-creatable and improvable reality.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

A wild and free spirit in a vast world full of sheep and cattle.
    I am the wolf in sheep's clothing.

If the world is a playground. I am the curious fella observing from the bushes. That's not creepy at all...
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    With the caveat that this mostly comes from observing my ISFJ significant other - I have often read that Si is intimately linked to the past, which I understand because static entities necessarily exist across through the past-to-present timeframe (unlike Se processes which change through time), and that automatically anchors Si in the past, but Si as a dominant function seems to operate very much in the present.
    Thanks for this - I like the clarity this comparison brings.

It makes the cogs turn in my brain (in regard to the functions).

[/Ne flight of fancy]

My ISFJ's Si databank (as fixed on a Ne matrix) grows and deepens daily, and is far more up-to-date than my own databank. He is a keen observer of people, places, institutions, organizations, and other static entities. He's quick to know of a new entity, he's quick to know when it changes, and he's quick to know when it is no longer. I don't think there is necessarily always a wishing for the past, though there seems to be a keen awareness of what was better in the past. There also seems to be plenty of room for future anticipation, though future visualizations are generally built with blocks of past experience.
    Yes, that connection from the past experience and expectations to what actually eventuates, is strong in Si doms. My ISFJ mum often speaks about this sort of thing. She talks about how strongly she felt about the women's lib movement in the 60s and 70s, and how the way contemporary young women have turned out has undone all that (in her opinion). She's not romanticising the past, because the way it was before was worse; she's romanticising the hope she had for the future back then, so to speak, and lamenting how people seem to have turned their backs on it.

Si doms don't seem to be as impacted by the melancholy idealism that NFs are sometimes lost in and seem more ready to work with whatever is at hand, trusting that the past isn't a lost utopia but a re-creatable and improvable reality.
    Interesting claim. It may be true in part but it's not entirely so for my Mum. She's quite a sceptic and is prone to pessimism (BTW she's probably a 6w5 Sp). Granted, it's an unwilling pessimism; she hates that it brings her down and would prefer things to be otherwise. It's not like my sort of exploration of the dark and depressing aspects of life. I face it more openly, with more curious interest, and perhaps take a sort of perverse pleasure in wallowing in it. My mum really dislikes depressing movies, for example. The way she talks afterwards watching one (because inevitably, I've been the one that forced it upon her ) it's like it disrupted her happy reality and made her think of unpleasant issues that can't be solved. Perhaps it's that drawing attention to negative things breaks her established trust in a better future or her faith in people. Or maybe it's a Judger's dislike of open-endedness, which in many ways, is what unhappy endings are.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte