User Tag List

View Poll Results: Dom/Tert Loops: Real or Fake?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Real

7 77.78%
  • Fake

2 22.22%
12 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Default Dom/Tert Loops: Real or Fake?

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    Its based upon my observations over time not a jump. Also its why the preface of personal opinion was listed.

I don't believe in the whole TiNi loop thing. That may explain moments in an ISTPs life (Ni creeps in as paranoia and doubt) but not a prolonged period of time. That makes no sense (to me). When under stress I have escaped into Ti (without Ni) or Se ( without Ti filters) not skipped it and gone to Ni and lingered there.

If someone is typing themselves as ISTP in a "loop" they are mistyped. But I can understand why people would not agree with this. There seems to be two sides on the loop issues. People who believe it and those who don't. So that's where I'm coming from.
    I thought MDP2525 brought up a very good point here. I actually have a thread revolving around this TiNi loop thing, which is titled: Who thinks I'am an ISTP? Vote for this if you believe it! Loops seem to be a way of inventing explaining for things we don't understand the prime causes for, kind of like how people called the Earth flat, or how people would call lightningbolts God's divine wrath.

Of course, I could be wrong, and there could be at least a little something to this loop theory, but it seems like a weak foundation to base a whole typing argument on. So what do you folks think about Dom/Tert Loops: Real or Fake?

Infinite Bubble

I think they exist because they are a logical way of explaining unhealthy behavior. An introvert under certain conditions will withdraw from the world and into themselves even more; a situation which causes them to bypass the extroverted auxiliary functions - after all, introversion is their natural state of being. The opposite is true for extroverts, bypassing their introverted auxiliary, for the same reasons. They would probably be too objective and avoid the inner turmoil that's going on inside them. That last statement should be clarified because I'm not as sure on it. But for introverts it definitely makes sense why they would go into a tertiary loop. For healthy being, a balance of intro- and extroversion is needed, and it makes sense that someone who isn't wouldn't have this balance. That is my take on it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Poimandres View Post
    I actually have a thread revolving around this TiNi loop thing, which is titled: [URL="http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/sp-arthouse/60956-who-thinks-i-am-istp-vote-if-you-believe.html"]
    Tut-tut, that shameless advertising there!

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Society

functions are a method our brain produces to provide for our needs in dealing with reality.

- we need Te/Ti to resolve cognitive dissonance.
    - we need Fi/Fe to resolve emotional dissonance.
    - we pay attention to Si/Ni for maximum coherency.
    - we pay attention to Ne/Se for maximum stimulation.

these are responses to different forms of stress, and we are shaped into a given order based on the stresses we are most sensitive too.

but sometimes life deals you milk even if you're lactose intolerant - certain events, internal accumulation over time, or any combination thereof, will force you to deal hands down with the sort of stresses you are less equipped to deal with.

so if you are an ENTP and you get overwhelmed by emotional dissonance, you're Ti is no longer the tool for the job, so you'll utilize an NeFe loop.
    if an INTP feels extremely confused and overwhelmed, paying attention to Ne is just going to make things worst, so the Ti will start paying attention to Si for coherence.
    etc...

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Fake. I don't think it logically follows that these loops must exist based on the other information given by the MBTI, and it gets dangerously close to the kind of predictive measures that a typology system like this one can never actually do.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Sounds a little loopy to me.

I think it is valid though.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Okay folks... I was probably wrong; it looks like this loop theory is actually for real - I am a clear case of TiNi!

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    functions are a method our brain produces to provide for our needs in dealing with reality.

- we need Te/Ti to resolve cognitive dissonance.
    - we need Fi/Fe to resolve emotional dissonance.
    - we pay attention to Si/Ni for maximum coherency.
    - we pay attention to Ne/Se for maximum stimulation.

these are responses to different forms of stress, and we are shaped into a given order based on the stresses we are most sensitive too.

but sometimes life deals you milk even if you're lactose intolerant - certain events, internal accumulation over time, or any combination thereof, will force you to deal hands down with the sort of stresses you are less equipped to deal with.

so if you are an ENTP and you get overwhelmed by emotional dissonance, you're Ti is no longer the tool for the job, so you'll utilize an NeFe loop.
    if an INTP feels extremely confused and overwhelmed, paying attention to Ne is just going to make things worst, so the Ti will start paying attention to Si for coherence.
    etc...
    Nah, we need T to define things, F to make judgments of what something is worth, S to perceive that something and N to see its possibilities over time(where it came from and where its going to), its hidden structures and to perceive instincts and hunches.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Society

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    Nah, we need T to define things, F to make judgments of what something is worth, S to perceive that something and N to see its possibilities over time(where it came from and where its going to), its hidden structures and to perceive instincts and hunches.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Poimandres View Post
    I thought MDP2525 brought up a very good point here. I actually have a thread revolving around this TiNi loop thing, which is titled: Who thinks I'am an ISTP? Vote for this if you believe it! Loops seem to be a way of inventing explaining for things we don't understand the prime causes for, kind of like how people called the Earth flat, or how people would call lightningbolts God's divine wrath.
    Somewhat sloppy comparison.

The loop makes sense in context of MBTI function ordering and potential discomfort with introverted/extroverted function direction. Its flaw is that of MBTI in general -- if MBTI is not accurate, then the loop concept is incorrect as well. If MBTI is right more or less, the loop concept meshes with the theory but hasn't yet been validated, it's just a construct meant to explain a behavior.

Consider looping a "working theory" ... it works theoretically but it's not verified, so it's a placeholder until some better explanation can be offered for these kinds of deviations from expected function preferences in MBTI.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft