User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which cognitive function do you associate the most with narcissism?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Se

3 20.00%
  • Si

0 0%
  • Ne

3 20.00%
  • Ni

1 6.67%
  • Te

1 6.67%
  • Ti

3 20.00%
  • Fe

2 13.33%
  • Fi

2 13.33%
First 3456 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    is it really plausible that the Fi-Te half of the population is immune to NPD?
    I'm not sure where you're getting that from... Certainly not from anything I've said. No one is immune from malfunctioning Ti.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    With that avatar?
    Exactly. With this avatar.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Infinite Bubble

First of all, I am going to rule out both Pe functions. Their use is merely to take in information from the outside world, and it is objectively orientated, away from the self. This most likely wouldn't cause narcissistic tendencies. Te is also to be ruled out due to it generally not being orientated towards people anyway, although I shall add that it may be used in an unhealthy manner to try to find measurable ways to prove (to themselves or others) that they are more superior. Ni is a contender. It is singular in orientation, towards the user, and often gives the impression that its assumptions are correct. So one I'd say is unhealthy Ni. It could also cause the user to have unrealistic dreams and goals.

There is a difference between narcissism and self-absorption or pure arrogance. Narcissism is an artificial cover to conceal the great negativity they have towards themselves. Narcissism is created out of deep insecurity and fragile self-esteem. It is about themselves in relation to everyone else. They live off other people in an extremely detrimental manner. Thus it makes sense that unhealthy use of Fe would lead to that. Manipulation, seeking constant attention, boastful, hypersensitivity to insults. Ti of course has the duality with Fe, and would fuel the latter function, but the naturally detached way in which it operates means that it probably wouldn't be the primary cause.

About Si and Fi, I am more unsure of. It could be possible that Si gives a similar effect to that of Ni. But Si, with the help of weaker Ne, often takes on a negativistic attitude and sees everything in a pessimistic manner (generalizing here), so perhaps the narcissism wouldn't arise. Fi as a value function could in an unhealthy manner inflate their personal values and beliefs as more important than others. But I think Fi more likely comes under the "self-absorbed" label, rather than narcissistic.

But overall I do not believe it has all that much to do with functions, if at all.

Society

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    I'm not sure where you're getting that from... Certainly not from anything I've said. No one is immune from malfunctioning Ti.
    right, i forget you're a proponent of the 8 functions / shadow-function system... it's possible but i don't quite buy into that - i meant TJs & FPs who traditionally don't have Ti or Fe.

anyway - i was thinking more of @Blackmail! @Asterism @Polaris & myself.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Ne essentially thinks it's good at seeing that which isn't there.

Fi thinks it feels and knows what the other person is feeling.

Te doms are almost always the ones telling everyone what the best way is and even ignore Ti.

I don't think Si has very much to do with it. Based on experience I'll go ahead and say ESTJ's are the biggest narcissists, my personal experience being the military and constantly listening to "you should be more like me" bullshit. In descending order of narcissism (just my personal opinion):

ESTJ > ENFP > ENTP > ENFJ > ESTP > ENTJ > INTJ > ESFP > INFJ > everything else.

In otherwords: frequency of enneagram 3's.

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Your link is more than 12 years old (2001).

Here is a more recent study (2008):

"Prevalence of lifetime NPD was 6.2%, with rates greater for men (7.7%) than for women (4.8%). NPD was significantly more prevalent among black men and women and Hispanic women, younger adults, and separated/divorced/widowed and never married adults. NPD was associated with mental disability among men but not women. High co-occurrence rates of substance use, mood, and anxiety disorders and other personality disorders were observed. With additional comorbidity controlled for, associations with bipolar I disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, and schizotypal and borderline personality disorders remained significant, but weakened, among men and women. Similar associations were observed between NPD and specific phobia, generalized anxiety disorder, and bipolar II disorder among women and between NPD and alcohol abuse, alcohol dependence, drug dependence, and histrionic and obsessive-compulsive personality disorders among men. Dysthymic disorder was significantly and negatively associated with NPD."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18557663

That makes 61% males, and 39% females.
    And, race was mentioned too. To the point of saying "significant". Also, a stream of other disorders and drugs. Unless you take those into account, type them as well, and then pinpoint which comes first, type or narcissism, and finally do the math after all that, then the answer to this will never arrive. And, even then it would be doubtful as to its accuracy. Why? Because all of that still hasn't taken into account misdiagnosing and mistyping.

In other words, wut? MBTI does not come any where close to making life a simple as that. It barely makes anything simple when used for what it was meant for, much less something with as many variables as there are humans with brains consisting of hereditary-based problems, brain chemicals altered by drugs and/or diet, and individual life experiences, etc. as narcissism constitutes. Plus, again, misdiagnosing/typing.

And, using others on the forum as examples isn't going to help you at all. It will get you an answer, but not an answer to the question you're asking.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

MBTI
    IxxJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    right, i forget you're a proponent of the 8 functions / shadow-function system... it's possible but i don't quite buy into that - i meant TJs & FPs who traditionally don't have Ti or Fe.

anyway - i was thinking more of @Blackmail! @Asterism @Polaris & myself.
    I'm actually of the mind that NPD is a culture-bound syndrome more than anything else. But, that's not what this thread is about. Or is it?

It's interesting to see how cognitive blind spots play into this particular debate, though. Or, one's relationship with the function in the 7th or 8th position (if you go by 8 function theory). As far as I've noticed, high Fe users don't get Fi and vice-versa and have a tendency to hurl selfish/self-absorbed/narcissistic indiscriminately when that happens. I've noticed INTPs (just a convenient example here) kneejerking a bit in their responses to Fi, and I think that's a combination of inferior Fe plus two subjective modes of processing (Ti/Fi) being largely incompatible and resulting in a Highlander effect.

I also wouldn't say any particular combination of functions results in immunity to NPD or narcissistic traits, although it's easier for me personally to perceive some combinations that way than others, because of my own position of bias. A full-blown narcissist may well be impossible to type, because the personality is so disordered that you'd have nothing to base your assessment on other than a collection of behaviors that change from moment to moment, because persons with this issue are so outer/other-directed and have no sense of self.

Society

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    Ne essentially thinks it's good at seeing that which isn't there.
    Ne doesn't do much seeing in the first place - it doesn't passively observe as much as actively creates. it takes the input of existing patterns with old patterns and mixes them to create new ones. most of the times its just ideas, sometimes those ideas can become theories and those are used to understanding, but even then, NPs tend to use their Ji to understand what they see, not their Ne. it isn't much of a passive observer function.

Society

Quote Originally Posted by Asterism View Post
    It's interesting to see how cognitive blind spots play into this particular debate, though.
    that's what's weird here though: so far everyone who made the connection of Ti/Fe & narcissism is a primary Ti/Fe user, except perhaps infinity bubble (and you?). essentially: it should be our blind spot. so why isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Asterism View Post
    high Fe users don't get Fi and vice-versa and have a tendency to hurl selfish/self-absorbed/narcissistic indiscriminately when that happens.
    it goes both ways, and i think a big part of it is actually just here:
    1. the current in/out metaphors of Fi & Fe allow for a large room of misinterpretation that seems to have nothing to do with people of either types.
    2. Fe in RL is very attune to the facial expressions, tone & social cues from others. so it's manifestation on the internet is much more limited.

INTPs and INFPs argue a lot because they both reach conclusions that to the other side appear like arbitrary assertions.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    bad

To be honest and fair,I voted Fi.