User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which cognitive function do you associate the most with narcissism?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Se

3 20.00%
  • Si

0 0%
  • Ne

3 20.00%
  • Ni

1 6.67%
  • Te

1 6.67%
  • Ti

3 20.00%
  • Fe

2 13.33%
  • Fi

2 13.33%
First 12345 Last

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    when she made the big deal of it, did you tell her you don't care about her going into your social turf?
    Yes. I grew less annoyed when I realized that it was what she wanted. If she had been clearer about that, I wouldn't have had an issue and would probably have gone along with it without a problem.

It's part of why we broke up, because she got mad at me for not fulfilling her needs, despite the fact that she never told me them. Actually, I was able to guess that certain things I was doing was bothering her, but when I asked her if that was the case, she told me they ''weren't a big deal." I'm sure she thought she was doing something really awesome by not having me worry about it. The simple fact, though, is that "being free from worry" wasn't something I needed. I even told her that, several times.

She thought she was being "empathetic" but she was just ignoring what I was saying in favor of what she likes to have happen. To me, that seems like Fi narcissim. Placing a lot of importance on what you think is "empathetic" and the "right thing to do", and not giving a damn if what people actually want contradicts that.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Society

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Yes. I grew less annoyed when I realized that it was what she wanted. If she had been clearer about that, I wouldn't have had an issue and would probably have gone along with it without a problem.

It's part of why we broke up, because she got mad at me for not fulfilling her needs, despite the fact that she never told me them. Actually, I was able to guess that certain things I was doing was bothering her, but when I asked her if that was the case, she told me they ''weren't a big deal."
    ...right, that's natural, relationships have many hammer-you-anvil sandwich situations.

not only yours, but in this case quite possibly hers: there are situations where the need has to be met independently of communication in order to be meaningful because it isn't the actual act that's valued but the intent behind it.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I voted Ni because they place so much focus on introspection which naturally leads to a lot of attention directed towards their own self.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

...right, that's natural, relationships have many hammer-you-anvil sandwich situations.

not only yours, but in this case quite possibly hers: there are situations where the need has to be met independently of communication in order to be meaningful because it isn't the actual act that's valued but the intent behind it.
    True. It was a couple months ago, and the fact was simply that we weren't compatible, which I've accepted. I don't think she's a terrible person.

At any rate, I'm more interested in knowing Fi plays a role in all of that then in figuring out what went wrong. I've thought enough about the latter already.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

Visit my Johari:

Society

True. It was a couple months ago, and the fact was simply that we weren't compatible, which I've accepted. I don't think she's a terrible person.

At any rate, I'm more interested in knowing Fi plays a role in all of that then in figuring out what went wrong. I've thought enough about the latter already.
    i don't think people are capable of processing thoughts without their dominant function playing a role... so, her being an IxFP, yes.

nothing in your description strikes me as narcissistic though, just egocentric. those two can exist independently from one another - you can be narcissistic without being egocentric at all, and vise versa.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

i don't think people are capable of processing thoughts without their dominant function playing a role... so, her being an IxFP, yes.

nothing in your description strikes me as narcissistic though, just egocentric. those two can exist independently from one another - you can be narcissistic without being egocentric at all, and vise versa.
    Is the distinction between the two that narcissism is a focus on how you appear to others, and ego-centrism has more to do with focusing on yourself? That is, it considers one's own perceptions, perspectives, ideas, wants and desires to be paramount and unassailable, even in social situations?

I'm not sure about that definition, though, because everyone prioritizes their needs and understanding to some extent, and I don't want to make it seem as though I don't understand that. I think I do understand the distinction you're drawing, though. Perhaps it would be better to work stubbornness into that, somehow.

Visit my Johari:

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I said Ne, not because I can see any reason for it but because the most narcissistic person I have ever known was likely to be an ENTP (am pretty sure she is mentally ill). Really, I don't think type has anything to do with this.
    Narcissistic ENTPs are not in short supply.

Quote Originally Posted by unnamed View Post
    It sounds like Ti more then Fi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
    I want to say that Ti would be high up on the list, but what I'm thinking of is probably really Ti getting broadcasted by Fe
    I don't think it has anything to do with Fe, if it is type-related at all, it is related to an inferior expression of Ti (hence the possible observed relationship with Fe users). (Auxiliary Ti users can still use it in infantile, inferior ways).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Is the distinction between the two that narcissism is a focus on how you appear to others, and ego-centrism has more to do with focusing on yourself? That is, it considers one's own perceptions, perspectives, ideas, wants and desires to be paramount and unassailable, even in social situations?

I'm not sure about that definition, though, because everyone prioritizes their needs and understanding to some extent, and I don't want to make it seem as though I don't understand that. I think I do understand the distinction you're drawing, though. Perhaps it would be better to work stubbornness into that, somehow.
    OK. If you want a classic example of Narcissistic-delusional behaviour, let's look at Marmotini.
    Do you remember when she said that all males here have a special mission to stop her talking? (Not anybody, only HER)
    This is narcissism. Narcissism appears when you consider yourself to be the exclusive center of attraction of everybody, when you consider that implicitely, you're the center of the world and nothing else matters.
    And the more you try to explain her that you don't care or give a damn of what she thinks (and that she is free to say anything she wants), the less she will understand it, and the more she will accuse you of stalking her.

The behaviour you described, on the other hand, rather looks like egocentrism, just like Mane pointed.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Society

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    I don't think it has anything to do with Fe, if it is type-related at all, it is related to an inferior expression of Ti (hence the possible observed relationship with Fe users). (Auxiliary Ti users can still use it in infantile, inferior ways).
    i don't know - i've known (well, used to game & talk with) at least one recovered but very troubled InTP who suffered from it with no short supply when he was younger. he was going to do a shooting in his school, got everything organized - had the gun ready - and in the last moment caved in on himself and called for help.

the way he talks about it, from the initial description it sounds like he went to a hellish high school where everyone's a monster, until you pay attention to one important detail: they didn't actually do anything. he didn't know how to join in socially, he took it to be all about him, took it as rejection which had the implication of a critique in it, a.k.a. that something's wrong with him, and he just accumulated it until he reached the infamous "i'll show them" mentality... this screams to me of narcissistic injury.

i am not a 100% about his perceiving func being Ne btw (with IxTP/ENTP interaction it's hard to tell because you are nearly take the functions as social roles), but he is definitely introverted and definitely a TP.

p.s.
    and yes ofcourse this is anecdotal, it's what we have to work with.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    OK. If you want a classic example of Narcissistic-delusional behaviour, let's look at Marmotini.
    Do you remember when she said that all males here have a special mission to stop her talking? (Not anybody, only HER)
    This is narcissism. Narcissism appears when you consider yourself to be the exclusive center of attraction of everybody, when you consider that implicitely, you're the center of the world and nothing else matters.
    And the more you try to explain her that you don't care or give a damn of what she thinks (and that she is free to say anything she wants), the less she will understand it, and the more she will accuse you of stalking her.

The behaviour you described, on the other hand, rather looks like egocentrism, just like Mane pointed.
    I don't think someone making a hyperbolic statement is grounds for a diagnosis of NPD. As such, your own statement is pure hyperbole. I guess that means the chances of either of you being a narcissist are about even...although...see below.
    Also," it's not paranoia when they really are out to get you."
    Marm gets ganged up on by males on this forum. This is fact.
    i don't know - i've known (well, used to game & talk with) at least one recovered but very troubled InTP who suffered from it with no short supply when he was younger. .
    No one said damaged INTPs couldn't be narcissists.
    Ti can be unhealthy, even when it's dominant.

The predominant feature of narcissism is a lack of empathy. As such, it's more likely to afflict people who score low on feely functions. Supporting this, 75% of people diagnosed NPD are male.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.