• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you prefer logic or evidence?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Number 1 is making a prediction based on Si. "I had never in my life had a break schedule that could change daily. Why would I assume otherwise." Because you have Si, that's why.

My MBTI was listed as TiSi at one time, for a good reason.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
My MBTI was listed as TiSi at one time, for a good reason.

Yeah, and since INTPs have tertiary Si I think sometimes they believe that their Si is the same thing as their Ti, but it is not.

I had a similar issue with Se/Te, even other people on the forum used to say "oh marm, your shiny Te!" ...and sometimes I am using Te, but other times it's really just Se.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, and since INTPs have tertiary Si I think sometimes they believe that their Si is the same thing as their Ti, but it is not.

I had a similar issue with Se/Te, even other people on the forum used to say "oh marm, your shiny Te!" ...and sometimes I am using Te, but other times it's really just Se.
Yea Si can influence a person's decisions. A person's actions may appear random. It can encourage decisions to be subjective or objective, either way really, and deeply depends on the given issue and one's attenuations regarding the issue.

Tabula

MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The first two are the best examples.
1) Logically, the school should start the same time this monday as it started the last week
2) The time for monday's lessons will be found in the schedule

1 is making a prediction based on logic. It may be a fallacy, but it's still logic, and it exists only in the head.
2 is asking you to look to the outside world for evidence that may contradict the logic of #1.

For a close example, when I started my present job with a group of others, we were all given a work schedule. I thought that was that. But my logic-based assumption was wrong. In fact (and much to my chagrin) a co-worker pointed out to me that the schedule was changing daily. He knew this because he looked at the schedule.

I have never in my life had a break schedule that could change daily. Why would I assume otherwise? And why was the co-worker on top of this fact? I don't know, but I'm certain he was more of a J than I am.

Thank you for writing this out, though I still remain confused.

I don't understand what is logical about assuming a static break schedule because of a consistent past history of static break schedules? Wouldn't it have just been logical to look to the schedule you were given to find out schedule-related information instead of assuming...? (unless I read you wrong, in which case, I apologize). Is there such a thing as "past evidence?" Or is it the application of that to a similar context in the present, or projecting it into the future, the logic part? :huh:

I'm sorry, I don't think I'm ever going to understand. I'll just say I'm dysfunctionally Feelery, use neither, and call it a day. :wizfreak:

:D

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Which would be which?

but nothing's outside the realm of logic, in those situations it's just that our understanding of it is limited. I mostly agree, though. the use of evidence is often more reliable than theory, especially if we're talking about real-world situations, but we still wouldn't know what to do with the evidence if it weren't for basic logical skills.

Te= evidence based
Ti= logic based

mintleaf

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
Te= evidence based
Ti= logic based

because logic is more internal?

which reminds me that I still don't understand the difference between Ne and Ni. I'd think that Ne would be linked to logical processes more than Ni...?

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
because logic is more internal?

which reminds me that I still don't understand the difference between Ne and Ni. I'd think that Ne would be linked to logical processes more than Ni...?

The Extraverted Thinking definition according to keys2cognition.com...

Te - Extroverted Thinking
Contingency planning, scheduling, and quantifying utilize the process of extraverted Thinking. Extraverted Thinking helps us organize our environment and ideas through charts, tables, graphs, flow charts, outlines, and so on. At its most sophisticated, this process is about organizing and monitoring people and things to work efficiently and productively. Empirical thinking is at the core of extraverted Thinking when we challenge someone’s ideas based on the logic of the facts in front of us or lay out reasonable explanations for decisions or conclusions made, often trying to establish order in someone else’s thought process. In written or verbal communication, extraverted Thinking helps us easily follow someone else’s logic, sequence, or organization. It also helps us notice when something is missing, like when someone says he or she is going to talk about four topics and talks about only three. In general, it allows us to compartmentalize many aspects of our lives so we can do what is necessary to accomplish our objectives.
Ti - Introverted Thinking
Introverted Thinking often involves finding just the right word to clearly express an idea concisely, crisply, and to the point. Using introverted Thinking is like having an internal sense of the essential qualities of something, noticing the fine distinctions that make it what it is and then naming it. It also involves an internal reasoning process of deriving subcategories of classes and sub-principles of general principles. These can then be used in problem solving, analysis, and refining of a product or an idea. This process is evidenced in behaviors like taking things or ideas apart to figure out how they work. The analysis involves looking at different sides of an issue and seeing where there is inconsistency. In so doing, we search for a “leverage point” that will fix problems with the least amount of effort or damage to the system. We engage in this process when we notice logical inconsistencies between statements and frameworks, using a model to evaluate the likely accuracy of what’s observed.

I think that this should clear up what I was saying.

Also if you would like to understand the differences between Ne and Ni, this is a good reference...

Ne vs. Ni