User Tag List

First 1234 Last

WALMART

Evidence is what logic works with. Evidence will always be greater, because it is the tangible existence logic attempts to explain. Logic is construed by tainted minds and limited evidence. Evidence just is, man.

PS my Se thrives on the unexplained. Evidence ftw.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    Evidence is what logic works with. Evidence will always be greater, because it is the tangible existence logic attempts to explain. Logic is construed by tainted minds and limited evidence. Evidence just is, man.
    Yes. Without sound evidence, logic is like the computer program that faithfully produces garbage out for garbage in. Ideally one has both evidence and logic, but one must start with evidence.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I myself first create a construction by the liberating power of reason (not logic; too rule-oriented), and then seek to back it up with external information and how it can shape the world.

By the way, I hope this isn't a Te vs. Ti thread lol. The kind of structured logic that came up earlier is more Te than Ti, actually. Ti (in an ITP) is much more fluid and flexible than that kind of rigid thinking.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I don't follow the functions as a religious ritual, and if we use the right reasoning, then we shouldn't have to follow irrational religious rituals.

MBTI
    I?TJ

I can't give an answer to this question, since I believe that logic and evidence go together. In order to make a logical deduction, don't you need to consider some kind of evidence to get you to your conclusion? Thanks for the trick question!

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by En Gallop View Post
    I prefer logic, but the "logical" statements you provide aren't very logical lol. To see logic you need to show it working. Logic has REASONS why a is more probable than b. It doesn't just blurt it out like that lol.
    this

also saying things like this "6) I'll find out the condition of this device after pressing the start button." tries to make a logical statement from evidence, but fails. You see the only evidence is that device doesent start from pushing the button, making a conclusions that its about the condition of the device is trying to make a logical conclusions from the evidence. In reality, it might be that you didnt push the button properly, forgot to push some other button before that or whatever. You see making a conclusion that is truly logical, you need to eliminate all other possibilities.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by En Gallop View Post
    I prefer logic, but the "logical" statements you provide aren't very logical lol. To see logic you need to show it working. Logic has REASONS why a is more probable than b. It doesn't just blurt it out like that lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    this
    If so, why do so many people claim they're applying logic by using statements like the ones in OP?

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    If so, why do so many people claim they're applying logic by using statements like the ones in OP?
    That shouldn't be a hard question to answer, there is a lot of weight placed on appearing logical and therefore in the right when it comes to the everyday lives of people. Even though there are plenty of irrational loudmouths in general society, you might be surprised how often you would hear someone completely off the rails emotionally, claim they are being logical.

This tends to happen more with men than women since men are conditioned by many cultures into being told they are the more logical gender, despite evidence to the contrary. It could easily seem to a Thinking type that most of the world runs on an unfair bias favouring emotionality and likability over sound logic, but Î find that even with the lowest common denominator, there is an emphasis on being seen as logical and therefore making more sense even if the individual never demonstrates anything of the sort. The internet is another good example where, removed from the pressures of physical immediacy, careful examination of the content of peoples posts becomes more important than interpersonal skills at reading their emotions.

This could be put down to there being more thinkers, especially NT's, online, but I find even those not of that variety will attempt to appear more logical. Although this seems to be changing with the more accessible nature of modern internet.
    It may also be that the online culture was first developed by thinkers in general to begin with.

Ginkgo

The odd numbered "analysis" are non sequiturs, while the even numbered statements are just that... statements. The even numbered ones don't illustrate any sort of inferences or conclusions. Perhaps this is why the odd numbered sentences would be considered "logical" - they include some sort of explanation based off of horse-sense. They seem reasonable insofar as they are expediently practical, given an amount of "common knowledge". However, a strictly logical person would consider this implicit common knowledge to be presumptuous at worst and omitted at best.