• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ti and Te arguing: The film critic vs. the lawyer

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But what was your style of arguing?

i guess just sort of laying out the fact as i saw them...i definitely don't pick apart someones argument. i'm more likely to just steam roll right over them with my own argument.

i feel actually really bad about it. when i'm in that frame of mind i can barely muster up enough energy to give a shit at all what the other person has to say....because they're just wrong.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
i guess just sort of laying out the fact as i saw them...i definitely don't pick apart someones argument. i'm more likely to just steam roll right over them with my own argument.

i feel actually really bad about it. when i'm in that frame of mind i can barely muster up enough energy to give a shit at all what the other person has to say....because they're just wrong.

It doesn't look as though we are defining arguing in the same way. I'm talking about an intellectual argument, not a domestic dispute.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It doesn't look as though we are defining arguing in the same way. I'm talking about an intellectual argument, not a domestic dispute.

haha domestic dispute. :laugh: that struck me funny for some reason.

well the basic principle is still there. laying out the facts and aiming to convince you of them rather then pick your argument apart.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
haha domestic dispute. :laugh: that struck me funny for some reason.

well the basic principle is still there. laying out the facts and aiming to convince you of them rather then pick your argument apart.

Umm...I guess.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

When I originally read that xNTPs liked to argue, I assumed a domestic dispute, as well. I know that I go for damage control in those situations, trying to cool the other person's rage. Anger is such a scary emotion, I don't like to be anywhere near it if I could possibly be a target.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
When I originally read that xNTPs liked to argue, I assumed a domestic dispute, as well. I know that I go for damage control in those situations, trying to cool the other person's rage. Anger is such a scary emotion, I don't like to be anywhere near it if I could possibly be a target.

I don't like those kinds of arguments, if that's what you mean, although sometimes, I think they are necessary. People aren't always going to agree... expecting to not have fights strikes me as unrealistic and setting yourself up for failure.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't like those kinds of arguments, if that's what you mean, although sometimes, I think they are necessary. People aren't always going to agree... expecting to not have fights strikes me as unrealistic and setting yourself up for failure.

I don't really see why not. If something is important, couldn't differences be put aside at least temporarily? I used to have a little spark in me that made me stick to a principal, but it's been long gone. I spend a lot of time ponderging if there is even such a thing as right or wrong. Currently, I am unsure of a lot of things.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't really see why not. If something is important, couldn't differences be put aside at least temporarily? I used to have a little spark in me that made me stick to a principal, but it's been long gone. I spend a lot of time ponderging if there is even such a thing as right or wrong. Currently, I am unsure of a lot of things.

Ignoring a principle or a personal conviction is always something I've come to regret.... but that's not what I mean by "relationship arguments" (how i was interpreting domestic disputes).

I think verbal confrontation is better than repressed rage. Problems don't go away just because I ignore them.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i think confrontation just means you care enough to resolve an issue coming between true understanding. i wouldn't bother to confront people if i found no value in it.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7

Entp's aren't like red-neck, white-trash hillbillies on cops, lol. That's not what they meant by arguing at all. It means that they like to debate mostly. They like to argue about scholarly and academic topics mostly. ENTP's like to argue with people because ENTP's use Ti. Ti is a function that must clearly understand and define things. The more time that an ENTP has dedicated to understanding something, the more they will argue to prove that they are right about something when someone tries to say that they are wrong. Again Ti must define and understand things, and when you say that they are wrong, you are potentially saying that their understanding is wrong, and this means war!

EDIT: It's much like when you say to an ENFP that their moral values are wrong. ENFP's spend a lot of time constantly thinking about their values and what they believe in. By saying that their values are wrong, or that they don't make sense is the equivalent to saying that an ENTP's logical understanding of an issue is wrong. For ENFP's, these means war!