• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Differences between ENTJs and ESTJs

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
All of the ENTJs I know have pretty apparent Se when they're not in work mode (so if you only see them in work mode, you may never see it). They can almost look ESTP'ish at times -- something probably a little difficult to confuse an ESTJ for. When I go hang out with my ENTJ friend, he's all about bungee jumping off bridges, breaking into park reserves in the middle of the night, and crazy drinking contests. He usually out-SP's me, in fact. :mellow: If I could sum of one ENTJ friend in particular, he's just excessive -- works hard, plays hard. When he picks up a new idea, theory, way of thinking, he just goes all out... kind of like an ENTP, but just more aggressively and confidently.

ESTJs who use their Ne a moderate amount, on the other hand, have come off as mild conspiracy theorists or sometimes as very spiritual/hippy. One ESTJ I know in particular was pretty hard to type because he was anti-government, conspiracy theorist, health nut, vegan. Maybe not your typical ESTJ, but definitely Te - Si - Ne.
Seems about right. ENTJs are a lot better at "letting loose", IME; ESTJs have more of a hard time overcoming their tendency to be uptight and overly controlled. (I agree that you probably wouldn't mistake an ESTJ for an ESTP, in part for that reason.)

ESTJs can also be pretty hard to type when they're feeling... shall I say... wacky. You think you can predict their sense of humor, and then they bust out the weirdest jokes, or recommend the darkest comedians out of nowhere. (Ne vs. Ni, I think.)

I recommended Emo Philips to my INTJ friend, and after she'd watched a video of his on YouTube, she just stared at me and went "I feel like I don't know you anymore." :laugh:

Edit: Some thinking out loud... I've known ESTJs and ENTJs that liked to sometimes be adventurous and try interesting new things, but I think with ENTJs it was more about the thrill of the moment (Se), while it wasn't so much that for ESTJs. I love trying new things, but I'm terrible at being in the moment, so I usually end up analyzing those new things as they're happening.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Edit: Some thinking out loud... I've known ESTJs and ENTJs that liked to sometimes be adventurous and try interesting new things, but I think with ENTJs it was more about the thrill of the moment (Se), while it wasn't so much that for ESTJs. I love trying new things, but I'm terrible at being in the moment, so I usually end up analyzing those new things as they're happening.

I think "thrill of the moment" pretty accurately describes what I'm thinking of. My ENTJ friends just go all out, taking that thrill of the moment to the extreme at times. While I know plenty of ESTJs that can party hard, they typically seem to be just like you described -- kind of just go where the moment takes them, instead of initiating like the ENTJ.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Portraits are meant to describe people so thus, they are applied to people, meaning then that according to your definition as proposed in the quote portraits can be stereotype.

Then please explain to the forum why some portraits are stereotypes and some aren't.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
So if ENTJs have a ESTP streak, do ESTJs have a ENTP streak?

If so, it would explain some things... ;)

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I have a hardcore ENFP streak. :yes:

I actually don't understand ENTPs very well. :doh: Maybe if I had more ENTP friends..?

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hello,

I work with an ENTJ boss. What I´ve seen as a difference is how they make decisions. An ESTJ will make on based off what ¨is¨, and the ENTJ will go with what they think will be. A work example: At work, a decision was required in order to foresee future needs, specifically, to order something or not order something. The ENTJ was comfortable going with her intuition and basing the decision based off her internal system of what is and what is not. An ESTJ would have looked at data or had research done to assist with the decision making. The above example happened and the ENTJ guessed wrong. She was shocked and perplexed. I earned time in the dog house pointing out the need to do research when these situations arise in the future... Laff

P.S. Doghouse lasted about 3 months

P.S.S. As long as the reason for being put in doghouse is not personal you actually gain standing for these types of ¨incidents¨ ironically. If you´re going to piss off an ENTJ, do it lightly, you will gain their respect.

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Another thing that comes to mind. ENTJs are more risk tolerant, they ¨think¨ they know the likely outcome of something and will roll with risky decisions. ESTJs are more risk averse and wait until they ¨know¨for sure the course of action is correct. Outcome:

ESTJ´s are more likely to be correct but arrive at decisions slower. Additionally when they are wrong, they are often close to their intended target and the consequences are not as bad.

ENTJ´s are quick to decide and are very often right, but sometimes, they are catastrophically WRONG. Like not even in the ballpark wrong.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Another thing that comes to mind. ENTJs are more risk tolerant, they ¨think¨ they know the likely outcome of something and will roll with risky decisions. ESTJs are more risk averse and wait until they ¨know¨for sure the course of action is correct. Outcome:

ESTJ´s are more likely to be correct but arrive at decisions slower. Additionally when they are wrong, they are often close to their intended target and the consequences are not as bad.

ENTJ´s are quick to decide and are very often right, but sometimes, they are catastrophically WRONG. Like not even in the ballpark wrong.
:yes:

Pretty good N vs. S distinction, generally, as well.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ESTJs come across as less arrogant IME

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Really! That surprises me.

Why, out of curiosity?

That is just like an ESTJ to ask this. Because they just do.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Idk about ESTP as Fe baffles me, but me and my inner SFP are on fabulous terms. :yes:

Lark

ENTJs are like me because I'm ENTJ.

I dont know what the crack is with confusing are arguing about these two types in particular.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Then please explain to the forum why some portraits are stereotypes and some aren't.

All portraits are stereotype at some level since they describe general tendencies, meaning that if you do not conform to said general tendencies of said portrait, you are thus unlikely to be that type. This also includes Jung's own type descriptions. Non-stereotype descriptions are those that would not try to describe character as much as they describe the theory of what ontologically separates this type from other types e.g. Te from Fe.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
All portraits are stereotype at some level since they describe general tendencies, meaning that if you do not conform to said general tendencies of said portrait, you are thus unlikely to be that type. This also includes Jung's own type descriptions. Non-stereotype descriptions are those that would not try to describe character as much as they describe the theory of what ontologically separates this type from other types e.g. Te from Fe.

Ontologically separates?