User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5 sx

Default What disorders qualify a person as impossible to type, if any?

I've heard people suggest that those with bipolar disorder, autism, etc. may be "un-typable," and I'm wondering what others' thoughts are on emotional/cognitive disorders and typology in general.

If a disorder is said to cause specific personality traits, behavior, and modes of thought, does that potentially limit the number of types possible for an affected person? Or does it simply place them outside the realm of MBTI, creating complexity too great for it to handle?

For example, my brother has a chromosomal disorder causing serious physical, cognitive, and behavioral issues. He's considered mentally retarded and based on the typical MBTI tests and descriptions, his cognitive limitations place him in the S camp. I know that sensors can be extremely intelligent and that intuitors aren't necessarily bright. It's just that if he's an intuitor, it certainly manifests differently in him than in those of higher intellectual ability. Very few (if any) people I've met with cognitive handicaps are interested in what most would consider "abstract theory," a trait typically associated with Ns. Also, what little I've read (it was only recently identified) seems to point to a correlation between xSFx and my brother's disorder.

Anyway, what disorders or general limitations do you think make someone's personality resistant to typing? What other thoughts do you have related to this idea?

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Take a look at the various personality disorders, such as Schizoid, Antisocial, Schizotypal, and so forth, which in lesser manifestations would be personality styles like Solitary, Adventurous, or Idiosyncratic. If you want to get really detailed with Typology, those elements could be factored.

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I'm diagnosing myself with Aspergers, so that's my excuse for being un-typable.

Seriously though, I do think there comes a point where people can't be typed if their disorder is severe enough; but I think mild cases of some things can be such that they don't really affect type. It's probably a case by case thing.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    I'm diagnosing myself with Aspergers, so that's my excuse for being un-typable.

Seriously though, I do think there comes a point where people can't be typed if their disorder is severe enough; but I think mild cases of some things can be such that they don't really affect type. It's probably a case by case thing.
    I have a lot of the traits for aspergers myself and had to overcome the social/communication problems much longer than for most kids, but it soon came to me immediately, kind of like how Einstein didn't talk till he was 6, but right then could speak very well (I learned at age 4).

So ya, someone like an Einstein would be real aspergers, but I just had PDD, traits of aspergers, but not the complete package. (perhaps you are the same way?)

MBTI
    yupp

you can't diagnose yourself, you have too much bias. It's like me saying I'm a fairy, just because i want to be and believe it to be true doesn't make it true.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

garbage

In my experience, bipolar disorder kinda hinders the whole "typing" thing.

Also, the kind of "rod through the head" thing that Phineas Gage went through.

Dead.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    In my experience, bipolar disorder kinda hinders the whole "typing" thing.

Also, the kind of "rod through the head" thing that Phineas Gage went through.
    prove it
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Quote Originally Posted by decrescendo View Post
    For example, my brother has a chromosomal disorder causing serious physical, cognitive, and behavioral issues. He's considered mentally retarded and based on the typical MBTI tests and descriptions, his cognitive limitations place him in the S camp. I know that sensors can be extremely intelligent and that intuitors aren't necessarily bright. It's just that if he's an intuitor, it certainly manifests differently in him than in those of higher intellectual ability. Very few (if any) people I've met with cognitive handicaps are interested in what most would consider "abstract theory," a trait typically associated with Ns. Also, what little I've read (it was only recently identified) seems to point to a correlation between xSFx and my brother's disorder.
    I don't have any answers that pertain to your question but this^^^ I would not even remotely sign off on that. I see a lot of iNtuitives that seemingly imagine the iNtuitive mind to be...oh say...'just like the Sensor mind - but evolved' <--when everything I've read suggests the opposite is true. The best way I can explain the various texts would be to say we are all born iNtuitives and as time goes on our brains become more and more specialized...but for whatever reason that process is halted in the iNtuitive. Basically, an iNtuitive is an adult making use of a brain that was only meant to take them through the first few years of life.

I can't say one way or the other...but if I was forced to choose I would say that 'disorders' would be correlated with N.

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    prove it
    I'm bipolar. I've been hard to type and have been labeled across the board by myself and by others (though have now stabilized and have had my "actual" type made apparent). Therefore, my experience is that some bipolar people (perhaps only one) are hard to type.

Quote Originally Posted by Starry View Post
    a lot of iNtuitives that seemingly imagine the iNtuitive mind to be...oh say...'just like the Sensor mind - but evolved' <--when everything I've read suggests the opposite is true
    Yeah, +1 here for "screw that noise."