• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Money and Shopping: Clues to your Type

Which option do you identify with most strongly?

• Plan and Save

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Saving is impractical

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spend elegantly and tastefully

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Natural savers

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Highly analytical comparison shoppers

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • The most organized approach

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Money matters least to this type

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Use money to care for others

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Mine is the opposite. I spend money to care for myself and I spend whatever's in my eyes.

Though, I'm very particular on what that money is spent on.

I don't think the quiz is particularly accurate, honestly. No offense, Mal. It's just that there are so many other variables that could impact this. I think the primary one impacting me is Sx dominance. I tend to spend on a select few people, one in particular.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think the quiz is particularly accurate, honestly. No offense, Mal. It's just that there are so many other variables that could impact this. I think the primary one impacting me is Sx dominance. I tend to spend on a select few people, one in particular.

A little too one-dimensional imo. Maybe what they could have done better is to pair up the functions and types... but then I can't imagine how big of a clusterfuck that would be.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Se/Ni broskini.

I'll bite.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
No really, I got Se/Ni before I checked the key.

Maybe Mal is actually accidentally right for once.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Money matters to me only because of what I can do with it. I plan and save, but have no brand/store loyalty. I research purchases and comparison shop, and overall take an organized approach. The purchases I do make tend to be elegant and tasteful.

Good luck if you can deconvolve all that.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Welp, at least it got my type spot on. Torn between Fi and Se, chose Fi. :D

I had the Fi "money doesn't matter" kind of mindset when I was about 16. I would do things that shocked my ISTJ grandfather.

However, I grew up and started living in the real world, and realized that I LIKE MONEY VERY MUCH. Money is an energy force that needs to be respected for what it represents and should be treated with care, and if you keep saying it doesn't matter, don't be surprised if this screws you over energetically at some point in life.

I don't know if this means that I am indeed an Fi dom that grew up and developed Se and a much more realistic attitude toward money, or what.

I love money. Money is great. Not for having it to show off or as an end to itself, but for what it can do.

And honestly, if I'm perfectly honest, I realized that money mattered before the age of 10. I remember around 8 or 9 being given an option to go live with my mother in a trailer and after about an hour there, I was screaming for my (slightly) more affluent (by West Virginia standards) grandfather to come and get me.

Of course it was mostly because I felt uncomfortable and unsafe, and I was better off. The problem wasn't so much money but that my mother was unstable as a younger person; she really had no concept of taking care of herself.

I think she kept reliving something from her childhood, I've always felt that about her, like she carried some issue with her, and she STILL refuses to get therapy. One time her general practitioner convinced her to take an anti-depressant because it would make her stomach feel better (she was having panic attacks).

I'm off on a tangent now, but money doesn't mean anything in and of itself, but I tend to agree with Everclear in that song where he says, "There are people who love to tell you money is the root of all that kills, but they have never been poor, they have never felt the joy of a welfare Christmas."

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I had a hard time between:

Si: Plan and Save: strong loyalty to brands and stores.

and

Ni: Spend elegantly and tastefully

I picked Si. I plan and save but do like spending on high quality things or experiences.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My vote:
Ti: Highly analytical comparison shoppers.

I see no issue here. :shrug:

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If anything this might reflect enneagram instincts expressed through the core type.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hm. Well you have a point in that case. If I had tons of money I'd buy some expensive things. Being tasteful and elegant is pretty important. So how do you relate that to Ni? (And I still don't think this whole thing proves someone's type.)

This poll is based on a study cited in the book I cited in the OP. And it's not intended to PROVE which type you are. I did say that it is a clue. Since you decided to respond to it, I decided to use that response to confirm what I already thought your type was from the very beginning. Your tertiary Ti is stronger than usual for an INFJ. However, it doesn't come across as very effective in the forums. It gives the appearance of intellectuality.

As for how I relate tasteful and elegance to Ni, I didn't conduct the study. However, it does seem correct. consider the ENTJ versus the ESTJ. The ESTJ dresses appropriately, according to social norms, and for functionality. The ENTJ, on the other hand, definitely dresses more tastefully and even elegantly than the ESTJ. There is an individual flair to the ENTJ's manner of dress.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What do you mean by "natural saving"?

Natural savers don't have to plan. The money that is saved up then serves to feed their sense of possibilities.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I voted for plan and save but when I looked at the key it also loyalty and certain brands and stores which I don't really identify with. I just buy whatever's cheap and fits my needs.

I related second most to "It's natural to save", which was the Ne statement.
Then the Ti one.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I voted for plan and save but when I looked at the key it also loyalty and certain brands and stores which I don't really identify with. I just buy whatever's cheap and fits my needs.

I related second most to "It's natural to save", which was the Ne statement.
Then the Ti one.

I tried to avoid giving too many cues as to which function each question related to. "Plan and save" is likely to throw everybody off. But it is still revealing in that it shows a tendency toward Judging. Si-dom is a judging type (ISTJ or ISFJ).

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I voted Money matters least to this type, and that's funny, because supposedly, Fi is at the very bottom of my function order, whether I'm an ISTP or an INTP!

I don't think money matters because material things just come and go, but glory and achievement can last forever. That is gained through good thoughts and actions rather than possessions.

I buy things on impulse sometimes when I like them and I have money in my pocket, but I'm honestly not a big consumer on the whole. I live quite frugally but I don't tend to think much about it consciously.

How are Ne types natural savers? I really don't understand how that one works. Someone explain, please?

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No, you miss the option of money bipolarism ie. living a quite modest life, saving cash etc...and then out of a whim spending it all on a new shiny item :)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

You're over-thinking it. In this case you're not focused on caring for others, you're just spending money on a select few.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Money matters to me only because of what I can do with it. I plan and save, but have no brand/store loyalty. I research purchases and comparison shop, and overall take an organized approach. The purchases I do make tend to be elegant and tasteful.

Good luck if you can deconvolve all that.

Ni.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What do you mean by "natural saving"?

Money represents possibilities. Saving money up for the possibilities it represents comes naturally to Ne dominants.