• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The differences between the MBTI and Jung

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Can you imagine me knocking on your door next Sunday with pamphlets warning you about Jung?

Yes Victor, I can, and fortunately I know all you'll require is a cup of tea and some Wind in the Willows story time, maybe I'll give you some vegan banana bread and send you on your way.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Did you take Step 2? Do you know of a better assessment?

I haven't paid for any assessment or valuation which is why I'm curious to hear why you think it's better.

Are you referring to what's described in books like Type Talk, in Gifts Differing or what you read on posts in an Internet forum? There was a lot of stuff published for a while there that attempted to dumb things down for the masses and contained erroneous or misleading information.
Both. I know Gifts Differing for example works with the functions, but if so, then why even introduce a different concept to I/E and then also use the J/P letters the way they are being used?
The book I mentioned was the first one that was published that explained the functions in concise and plain English. This led to other things. Last time I checked, it was out of print though you can find used ones.
Ok, rephrasing; so how does this book, in your own words, clarify and erich MBTI and Jungian theory?

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
You know, I think perhaps not a single word written by Victor has ever been true. None of it. It's all absurdism for effect. A grown man with tea and children's books, a lone vilifier of the town hero, and a couple of other things that would make a list of three but which I find it unnecessary to try thinking about. The only needles truly well-placed are the jabs at feminism and critical thinking. To espouse those two pleasant and valuable values in the persona of a Victor, a persona run through with the most obnoxious personal hatreds...

Bravo.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Forgot to address J/P more, since that was mentioned.

Its behavioral standalone value is shown in the "brain lateral alternative" theory, where the functions opposite the dominant and auxiliary, but in the same attitudes (Beebe's #7 and 8), end up being "used" (i.e. in a behavioral sense) next after the dom. and aux. and thus even more than the ego-syntonic tertiary and inferior!
1/2 and 7/8 bear the same J or P attitude, and thus might be what we turn to first when the preferred functions can't solve a problem. (The tertiary and inferior are more "vulnerable", and thus "weak"). This seems to be in part what is often picked up by the Keys 2 Cognition test, which measures the functions directly, in terms of behaviors.

Meanwhile, as functional perspectives, the alternatives are still the least conscious.
So this highlights the difference between Jung's theory where the functions are more forms of perspectives, and a more behavioral approach taken by MBTI and Keirsey.

G

Ginkgo

You know, I think perhaps not a single word written by Victor has ever been true. None of it. It's all absurdism for effect. A grown man with tea and children's books, a lone vilifier of the town hero, and a couple of other things that would make a list of three but which I find it unnecessary to try thinking about. The only needles truly well-placed are the jabs at feminism and critical thinking. To espouse those two pleasant and valuable values in the persona of a Victor, a persona run through with the most obnoxious personal hatreds...

Bravo.

Even if Jung's crazy dictated the validity of his thoughts, craziness is generally marked by an overall caricature-ization of the neurotypical. His product would be a magnified image of the general human psyche. ;)

Mole

Permabanned
Poetic Justice

Bravo.

And here I am on a site devoted to the fascist Carl Jung and the plagiarists and charlatans Mrs Katherine Briggs and her daughter Mrs Isabel Myers.

It's poetic justice.

But poetic justice is not enough for an attempt was made to break into my Facebook account, and we have been able to trace it back to a member of Typology Central.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And here I am on a site devoted to the fascist Carl Jung and the plagiarists and charlatans Mrs Katherine Briggs and her daughter Mrs Isabel Myers.

It's poetic justice.

But poetic justice is not enough for an attempt was made to break into my Facebook account, and we have been able to trace it back to a member of Typology Central.

Was it me?

rainybisto

MBTI Type
FiNe
Enneagram
4w5
It's nice to see someone actually wants to learn about Jungian typology. Others tend to stick so hard with MBTI's conception of cognitive functions. I want to learn about it, but the materials on the internet has been mixed up with MBTI. I can see some lights on MBTI, but I want to understand pure Jung's conception of it and develop from there.

Mole

Permabanned
It's nice to see someone actually wants to learn about Jungian typology. Others tend to stick so hard with MBTI's conception of cognitive functions. I want to learn about it, but the materials on the internet has been mixed up with MBTI. I can see some lights on MBTI, but I want to understand pure Jung's conception of it and develop from there.

Naive members of Typology Central are unlikely to know that Carl Jung suffered from a psychosis. His followers hid this from us for more than seventy years.

Normally this would delegitimate a psychological leader, but nothing delegitimates a cult leader like Carl Jung. It is a matter of faith, not reason and evidence.

booger_king

I took the classic jung personality test. This is the result. Am I intj or infj?
Te (Extroverted Thinking) (100%)
your valuation of / adherence to logic of external systems / hierarchies / methods

Ti (Introverted Thinking) (85%)
your valuation of / adherence to your own internally devised logic/rational

Ne (Extroverted Intuition) (80%)
your valuation of / tendency towards free association and creating with external stimuli

Ni (Introverted Intuition) (95%)
your valuation of / tendency towards internal/original free association and creativity

Se (Extroverted Sensing) (30%)
your valuation of / tendency to fully experience the world unfiltered, in the moment

Si (Introverted Sensing) (100%)
your valuation of / focus on internal sensations and reliving past moments

Fe (Extroverted Feeling) (80%)
your valuation of / adherence to external morals, ethics, traditions, customs, groups

Fi (Introverted Feeling) (90%)
your valuation of / adherence to the sanctity of your own feelings / ideals / sentiment

----------------
based on your results your type is likely - unclear?

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
I took the classic jung personality test. This is the result. Am I intj or infj?
Te (Extroverted Thinking) (100%)
your valuation of / adherence to logic of external systems / hierarchies / methods

Ti (Introverted Thinking) (85%)
your valuation of / adherence to your own internally devised logic/rational

Ne (Extroverted Intuition) (80%)
your valuation of / tendency towards free association and creating with external stimuli

Ni (Introverted Intuition) (95%)
your valuation of / tendency towards internal/original free association and creativity

Se (Extroverted Sensing) (30%)
your valuation of / tendency to fully experience the world unfiltered, in the moment

Si (Introverted Sensing) (100%)
your valuation of / focus on internal sensations and reliving past moments

Fe (Extroverted Feeling) (80%)
your valuation of / adherence to external morals, ethics, traditions, customs, groups

Fi (Introverted Feeling) (90%)
your valuation of / adherence to the sanctity of your own feelings / ideals / sentiment

----------------
based on your results your type is likely - unclear?

xSTJ probably ISTJ. :)

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
An xSTJ probably wouldn't get that low on Se, but an INTJ would.

No that low. INTJ's last function is Si and if you measure by Ni or Ne , Si or Se etc this is clear result of Delta Ne Si Te Fi. ;)

unmagic

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I don't even know what you are talking about, nor do I want to.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
I don't even know what you are talking about, nor do I want to.

xNTJs don't have a Si. They prefer Se over Si. ;)

Ni > Ne
Te > Ti
Fi > Fe
Se > Si

According to results the person uses Si and Te both in 100% which is xSTJ cleary and this is why result was unclear. ;)

unmagic

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
8w7
xNTJs don't have a Si. They prefer Se over Si. ;)

Ni > Ne
Te > Ti
Fi > Fe
Se > Si

According to results the person uses Si and Te both in 100% which is xSTJ cleary and this is why result was unclear. ;)
That doesn't even have enough information to complete what you're trying to say, and who says this anyway? You really think that ESTJs are less Se than INTJs? Why?

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
That doesn't even have enough information to complete what you're trying to say, and who says this anyway? You really think that ESTJs are less Se than INTJs? Why?

If you read results the person has Si and Te on maximum scale.

INTJ values Se and defend it.
ESTJ values Si.

ESTJ who think that he values Se over Si is mistyped ESTP who defend his Ni. :D

unmagic

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
8w7
If you read results the person has Si and Te on maximum scale.

INTJ values Se and defend it.
ESTJ values Si.

ESTJ who think that he values Se over Si is mistyped ESTP who defend his Ni. :D
Where does this come from? This whole thing about "valuing" and whatever? I know there's that model for development thing but I don't think the idea of it has to do with valuing one over the other like you say.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
Where does this come from? This whole thing about "valuing" and whatever? I know there's that model for development thing but I don't think the idea of it has to do with valuing one over the other like you say.

This is INTJ
Ni-Te-Fi-Se-Ne-Ti-Fe-Si

This is ESTJ
Te-Si-Ne-Fi-Ti-Se-Ni-Fe

Se is ESTJ's shadow function.

unmagic

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
8w7
This is INTJ
Ni-Te-Fi-Se-Ne-Ti-Fe-Si

This is ESTJ
Te-Si-Ne-Fi-Ti-Se-Ni-Fe

Se is ESTJ's shadow function.
What is this though? Where does it come from? Sounds like something somebody created in their basement. Shadow functions? lol