• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ReGroup the types

S

Society

How would you regroup the types if it wasnt the NT/NF/SJ/SP? why? What would you name each group?

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I was thinking about this a few days ago, about how coherent it could be to group MBTI types by functions shared, like in socionics. SFPs and NTJS together, NFPs and STJs, and so on. What do types visibly share with their mirrors?

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
NP/NJ/SJ/SP.

Or even better, FP/TP/FJ/TJ.

S

Society

What do types visibly share with their mirrors?

Something I came up with awhile ago that might be useful for you to find it:

Function commonality:

SiNe: Collectors
Connecting new information & patterns to the existing collection.
NiSe: Streamers
Connecting new information & patterns within its own stream.

FiTe: Projectors
Projecting internal values & plans outside.
TiFe: Reflectors
Reflecting upon external information inside.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ohh I missed the names aspect.

FP - expressers (Fi)
FJ - caretakers (Fe)
TP - analyzers (Ti)
TJ - producers (Te)

Iunno, I guess they aren't very flattering.

I kinda like the "interaction styles" grouping too - "chart the course" etc. I think it's valuable to group the types in all sorts of ways, actually - the "best" grouping depends on the context, I think.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
As long as I'm not regrouped into the same newly constructed temperament as you Mane then I will be ok (put me with the ISFJs)!

S

Society

ohh I missed the names aspect.

FP - expressers (Fi)
FJ - caretakers (Fe)
TP - analyzers (Ti)
TJ - producers (Te)

Iunno, I guess they aren't very flattering.

I kinda like the "interaction styles" grouping too - "chart the course" etc. I think it's valuable to group the types in all sorts of ways, actually - the "best" grouping depends on the context, I think.

So in what context would grouping by dominant judging function be the best to group by, and why?

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Function commonality:

Been trying to name those for the longest. Was just today thinking about it again.

A lot of names we assign like that can become ambiguous.

I looked at something like "enigmatic" for TiFe, because I hold the people/task dimension to be a primary temperament factor, and with people focus being "informing" and "motive focus", and task focus being "directing" and "structure focus", these line up for FP's and TJ's, but are mixed for TP's and FJ's, and makes for interesting mixtures (like NFJ's being the only "directive" Feelers, and NTP's being the only "informative" Thinkers. This often creates T/F confusion).

I also looked at "circumspective" for NeSi, because they basically "look around", (at multiple possibilities, or previously stored facts) rather than directly experiencing the tangible world and matching it to a set meaning.

That just leaves the other two groups. If TiFe is "enigmatic", then TeFi could be "consistent", but that sounds to broad or generalistic. SeNi I've never been able to think of a good term for.

S

Society

I picked collection for NeSi because it desribes the mechanic involved. New data is collected and new patterns within that data, and is then allocated to withing the collection, the new data provides eveluation of similarity and contrast, the new patterns go to breed and connect with other patterns to form new ones.

I have being prosponing making a thread about my theory of function mechanic, development and origin forever... Maybe when my laptop comes back, this isnt mobile phone material.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Function commonality:

The problem I have with grouping the opposing functions is just that - they're opposed.
I think these make sense when applied to someone using them as the aux/tert, ie. an ENTP is TiFe. But when it's the dominant/inferior, then you have too much conflict to combine the two as if they work in tandem. The relationship between them in a person's psychology is more antagonistic, IMO.

I'm drawn to the "reflecting" category because it sounds more like Ji, whereas "projecting" sounds like Je.

Actually, those would be ways to group also (the way Jung groups):
IP aka Ji-dom
EP aka Pe-dom
IJ aka Pi-dom
EJ aka Je-dom

R

Riva

The only change I would be satisfied with is by putting the nps and njs together. NP - Tactful and bigger picture in mind. SP - Tactful with immediate results in mind. NJ - Strategic with bigger picture in mind. SJ - Strategic with immediate picture in mind. The word gradual and urgent could be used as subsitutes for bigger picture and immediate picture.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ Tactful? :huh:
I could see "exploratory" maybe.

R

Riva

^ Tactful? :huh:I could see "exploratory" maybe.
Ah a much much better word. I was trying to find a word similar to strategic yet has a different meaning. Do you have a better word than strategic? Focused maybe? Hmm.. I always remind enfps to use the quote function and now ...

S

Society

The problem I have with grouping the opposing functions is just that - they're oppose.

They arent, not quite imo, each pair is the same cognitive mechanism used in apposing ways.

I also think there is an internal repression mechanism involved in the process of repressing the processing of one rather then the other, a resolvable one.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ah a much much better word. I was trying to find a word similar to strategic yet has a different meaning. Do you have a better word than strategic? Focused maybe? Hmm.. I always remind enfps to use the quote function and now ...
You mean tactical?

R

Riva

You mean tactical?
I meant tact. I wanted to use imrovising initially. Tactical is a big too long term. Tact the nfps wouldn't like and intps I haven't met who are good at. So my initial wordings are wrong I must confess.

S

Society

The only change I would be satisfied with is by putting the nps and njs together. NP - Tactful and bigger picture in mind. SP - Tactful with immediate results in mind. NJ - Strategic with bigger picture in mind. SJ - Strategic with immediate picture in mind. The word gradual and urgent could be used as subsitutes for bigger picture and immediate picture.

their are 4 NJs & 2 NTPs... you have to either give up the TJs or the FJs in the group.

The later can be done by keeping the NTs intact.
The first can be done by having:

Intuitive reflectors (NTP & NFJ)
Sensing reflectors (STP & SFJ)
Intuitive projectors (NFP & NTJ)
Sensing projectors (SFP & STJ)

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The problem I have with grouping the opposing functions is just that - they're opposed.
I think these make sense when applied to someone using them as the aux/tert, ie. an ENTP is TiFe. But when it's the dominant/inferior, then you have too much conflict to combine the two as if they work in tandem. The relationship between them in a person's psychology is more antagonistic, IMO.

They arent, not quite imo, each pair is the same cognitive mechanism used in apposing ways.

I also think there is an internal repression mechanism involved in the process of repressing the processing of one rather then the other, a resolvable one.
Also, it's about grouping the types, so even if the inferior is still unconscious, it's still on the "ego-syntonic" side, and will figure in the type's nature.

S

Society

Also, it's about grouping the types, so even if the inferior is still unconscious, it's still on the "ego-syntonic" side, and will figure in the type's nature.

YES. And by understanding it as a single object we can start viewing as something with a mechanism, an origin, a development curve, look at it as an emergent result from possible overarching organic princibles.