• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Notes about each type V1.0 (and entry for best typist contest while I'm at it)

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
There's some pretty good stuff there, but a good part of the descriptions look like wild guesses. Seems like you need to increase the your sample size for most types, specially the Fs.

That said, I rather liked the INTP description. Otoh, the ESTJ and the Feeling types descriptions were fairly poor.

"ESFJ - weddings" :huh: Right, but what about the rest of the time?

"ESTJ - sports" :thinking: My ESTJ father seem to just care about work and giving orders.

"INFJ - pastors, missionaires, activists, Gandhi" :shock: Don't they usually have uh, let's say, regular occupations?

zago said:
That is why I have put an emphasis on activities associated with each type. As you can see, I had more ideas about some types than others, but I intend to fully develop it as time goes on.

These are just random notes I made in no particularly formal way. Some types I barely covered at all. Again, I wrote this with the intent of rapid-typing. If you've read this an you hear a group of people talking about sports, you may think "ESTJs could be present." That's what I had in mind.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I mean, I guess in some extremely vague sense you could say there is a very slight twinge of satire. Not really, though. If anything, I am unabashedly using stereotypes when we all know there are always going to be exceptions and no one should be pigeon-holed, blah blah blah. Yes, you kind of do have to take it with a grain of salt. But I think my message comes across nonetheless.

You could act like an adult, though.

There's really no lack of critical analysis, just an obvious but politically incorrect truth. ESTPs are the classic thrill-seeking type, and thrill seekers tend to get in trouble at a higher rate. That's all you need to know, QED. We shouldn't turn this into a discussion about socioeconomics. That's a copout. It is what people do when they want to sound smart for cheap, because it is politically correct and easy to type cloud-high BS that sounds like it could be intelligent. Do what I did in the OP - demonstrate your knowledge and command of the cognitive processes that make up this system. If your knowledge of them is superior to mine, I would absolutely love to hear your analysis. If you want to just take snipes and get moralistic about it, though, I'm not interested.

Then don't post in this thread? What do I care about your tenure on this site? That's great, but it doesn't move things forward here and now.

Your logic is lacking. Rather, it is absent. What you've done is provided an anecdote, which doesn't really prove or disprove anything. You should offer a coherent functional analysis of how you've typed your friend as an ESTP and what it is about ESTPs that made this person in particular a strong candidate for the role of a lawyer, especially if you see him as the rule and not the exception, because as I've already made plain, I am stereotyping and there is ample room for exception.

What I'm getting at is this: when we read type descriptions, we seldom if ever see "lawyer" as one of the common professions for ESTP. To use this system at all requires generalities - just because you can think of exceptions doesn't disprove anything.

"Welcoming input" must have a different meaning in INTPland. :rolleyes:

W

WALMART

Then don't post in this thread? What do I care about your tenure on this site? That's great, but it doesn't move things forward here and now.

Your logic is lacking. Rather, it is absent. What you've done is provided an anecdote, which doesn't really prove or disprove anything. You should offer a coherent functional analysis of how you've typed your friend as an ESTP and what it is about ESTPs that made this person in particular a strong candidate for the role of a lawyer, especially if you see him as the rule and not the exception, because as I've already made plain, I am stereotyping and there is ample room for exception.

Ah, well as long as you acknowledge you are building a stereotypical worldview I am perfectly fine with anything you concoct.

As for my friend, he is like a dog - always moving, always doing something - playing basketball, biking somewhere, doing sit-ups/push-ups/curling random objects, studying up on political science type things. His favorite videogames are fighting games (like Tekken), where he'll find and train with characters that are incredibly overpowered or hard to counter (paul, Dr. B, the dinosaur guy that shoots fireballs). He hates losing, while for example me as an ISTP enjoy toying with complex characters that have deep move-sets over blatantly powerful ones, even though I typically lose. He has no reservations about his actions, very loud and boisterous in social settings and incredibly comfortable meeting new people or being in new situations. We go to bars and he'll get a girl's number, every time. We're both into experiencing mind-altering drugs for the novelty of it, like the time we scored a free bag of cocaine off some guy in Veg....

WAIT, I just incriminated him. MAYBE YOU'RE ON TO SOMETHING!!!

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
"Welcoming input" must have a different meaning in INTPland. :rolleyes:

Just because I said that doesn't mean I won't have standards. I think that I've been as nice as I can be given the comments so far, especially the one where someone called what I wrote "piss." I don't see how "be an adult" isn't up to your standards here, wind-up rex.

When I said "input" I must admit, I thought people would actually be responding with functional analysis. Maybe I set my sights too high.

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
Ah, well as long as you acknowledge you are building a stereotypical worldview I am perfectly fine with anything you concoct.

As for my friend, he is like a dog - always moving, always doing something - playing basketball, biking somewhere, doing sit-ups/push-ups/curling random objects, studying up on political science type things. His favorite videogames are fighting games (like Tekken), where he'll find and train with characters that are incredibly overpowered or hard to counter (paul, Dr. B, the dinosaur guy that shoots fireballs). He hates losing, while for example me as an ISTP enjoy toying with complex characters that have deep move-sets over blatantly powerful ones, even though I typically lose. He has no reservations about his actions, very loud and boisterous in social settings and incredibly comfortable meeting new people or being in new situations. We go to bars and he'll get a girl's number, every time. We're both into experiencing mind-altering drugs for the novelty of it, like the time we scored a free bag of cocaine off some guy in Veg....

WAIT, I just incriminated him. MAYBE YOU'RE ON TO SOMETHING!!!

Sounds possible that he could be ESTP, not that I know him or anything, but that description alone can just as easily point to ENTJ, which I said was a likely type for lawyers. Bear in mind, ENTJs do possess tertiary Se. They tend to share quite a few characteristics, but overall, obviously, more intuitive interests and pursuits... like, say, law.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not sure if trolling or serious.

I

Infinite Bubble

I like the effort you put into it. It's alright as long you acknowledge that it generalizes and obviously not meant to describe individuals. That's not what it's for. Although I don't have a clue what its use actually is. What is it, [MENTION=4489]zago[/MENTION]?

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
I like the effort you put into it. It's alright as long you acknowledge that it generalizes and obviously not meant to describe individuals. That's not what it's for. Although I don't have a clue what its use actually is. What is it, [MENTION=4489]zago[/MENTION]?

To increase your probability of accurately typing someone, and make other probabilistic guesses about their personality. If someone is a hair stylist, of the 16 types, it is most likely that it is an ESFP. Maybe there's only a 30% chance, but being that there are 15 other types, that's the highest one. Then you can look at other characteristics and make a better assessment. To me it is just a point of interest/fun, really. I don't treat one type different from the next. After all, categorization is one of the main pursuits of Ti. Lol

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I taking the descriptions with a grain of salt. I'd be much more interested in hearing about someone's profession or description - known personally to the poster - that's been typed.

For instance: 2 ESTJs I know are cops.
1 INFP musician.
1 ISTP finance analyst
1 ISTJ graphic artist
1 ESTP service manager at car dealership.
1 ENFP sommelier at upscale L.A. restaurant.
1 ISFJ massage therapist
1 INTJ manager at call center
1 INFJ bicycle mechanic
1 ENTJ owner of a motorcycle shop/engine builder
Etc.

It would break up the monotony of stereotypes. If they fell into them, so be it but at least it's real.

W

WALMART

Yes, but again, he is born into a high probability factor for success. It isn't like he enjoys law so much he worked his way to accomplish it from ground zero, it was closer to 'the next step' (and hopefully I am in no way discrediting his accomplishments, I am very proud of him, but even he would read this and agree - his undergrad is in psychology and did almost all his research on Socio-Economic Status).

His mother and father are from Africa, both educated in England. His father is a government official in Nigeria and his mother is a Registered Nurse. They are relatively well-off and have been able to send all of their children to college with little to no thought about the financial implications - they have likely been preparing for it since before their first child's inception. His sister is around ten years older than he, a well-paid pharmacist, that paid his way through schooling, as far as he intended to go (though I believe law school caught up to that, he's now indebted up to his eyeballs).

So to reason that he graduated law school because he is an intuitor with an interest in higher learning is kind of silly, don't you see?

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
To increase your probability of accurately typing someone, and make other probabilistic guesses about their personality. If someone is a hair stylist, of the 16 types, it is most likely that it is an ESFP. Maybe there's only a 30% chance, but being that there are 15 other types, that's the highest one. Then you can look at other characteristics and make a better assessment. To me it is just a point of interest/fun, really. I don't treat one type different from the next. After all, categorization is one of the main pursuits of Ti. Lol

How do stereotypes actually increase accuracy? Rather, it seems the probability of mistyping is likely to go through the roof since you don't look at people's cognitive functions but only their external behavior.