• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Typing of animals: Possible or not?

10blackroses

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I ask because I think I have an ENTP dog.
This guy is just incredible. He is so unique that the breeder we got him from, who had been working with the same breed (golden retrievers) for 40 years, could hardly believe that a dog could possibly be the way he is.
Stubborn is his middle name; if he doesn't wanna do someting, he's not doing it. PERIOD.
He really doesn't like cages - when we were first trying to get him into one, four strong and dog-savvy people were needed to make him go inside. He became known as Houdini and The Worm by the end of his first obedience class because of it.
My dog is a true escape artist. When standing in his portable dog pen, he keeps looking for soft spots where he can manage to push away the bars. And he finds them. Every. Single. Time.
He is a total kleptomaniac too - if he doesn't eat it, he steals it, and if he doesn't steal it, then it's not my dog. He is creative in his approach; his repertoire includes pretending to want contact and love, then when we're not looking, suddenly taking off with our phones or socks or whatever he can get.
This is either just for the thrill, or to be used as leverage. He has discovered that if he steals something, we will bribe him with treats, and he exploits it as much as he can.
Even dust can be used as leverage. We don't want him to eat it, so we get him to give it to us in exchange for something tasty. This has lead to him picking up dust and excess hair from the floor, then cheekily showing it to us, expecting to be showered with treats.
For a while, he liked stealing my place in the sofa. That was his ultimate goal, but he had a six-step plan to achieve it:
1) Go to exit door
2) Pretend that you have to go out and do your business
3) Wait until 10blackroses gets up and is ready to take you out
4) Run back into living room
5) Get into sofa
6) Try to avoid angry glances from 10blackroses
That was interesting.
He is in every possible way unruly. Most notable these days is his unwillingness to walk nicely on a leash. We've tried just about all sorts of harnesses on the market - he calms down for a little while, then he starts sorting out his priorities:
"If I behave now, the harness won't be tight. I like that. But then there are all the cool smells - how can I resist that? Oh, well, a somewhat tight leash doesn't matter. Let's GOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" And then it's just a matter of holding on to the leash and hope he doesn't pull you into the ditches.
My dog doesn't let anything stop him. He decided once that he didn't really like to sit in the cage he was in, so he just chewed it to pieces. That's the easiest way to deal with something like that. Our dear little Houdini ended up sitting on my lap - in the passengers' seat - the rest of the way home. I'm pretty sure that when I'm sitting in a nursing home at age 95, that's gonna be the very last memory I have.

I have another dog as well. He's also a golden retriever, but he's a completely different personality. I think he's an INFJ. He doesn't make much trouble, but threaten anybody in his pack and you're done. FINITO. He won't attack unless provoked, but he has a strong will to protect. But, just hanging out at home, he's an angel. He lets the other dog mess with him as much as he wants to, and he never feels like getting back at him.

My mother had a golden before these two guys, she was an ISFJ. New experiences just weren't her thing. She didn't like things to be out of the ordinary; it kind of unsettled her. But there's never been a more gentle dog to walk the Earth than her.

Her best friend was an ENFP - this was a standard poodle. She couldn't BEGIN to tell you how much she loved having you around. If she wasn't hugging you - literally at that; she'd put her front legs around your neck - she was running around endlessly and be intensely fascinated by absolutely everything.

As you can see, I think dogs have a vast amount of personality that makes them as typable as humans are. What do you guys think? Have you ever met an animal and thought "hey, there's an INTJ"? Tell me! :D

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It might be possible to type monkeys or parrots, but I'm not sure about anything lower than that, unless an entirely new system were designed that works.

10blackroses

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sounds like an Se-dom to me.

I type him Ne-Dom because he looks for opportunities everywhere. He does seem to have Artisan traits, but in the end, everything is to him a wealth of possibilities: "THERE! There's the soft spot! Now, how to use that knowledge? Right ... if I push here ... then a bit here ... aaaaaaaand ... I'm out! Hey, guys, look at me!"

Recognizing actual opportunities and vulnerabilities and pushing through to exploit them is far more Se than Ne. Ne doesn't care about exploiting potentialities as much as just thinking about them.

Anyway, I type animals jokingly but I don't think it can actually be done.

Recognizing actual opportunities and vulnerabilities and pushing through to exploit them is far more Se than Ne. Ne doesn't care about exploiting potentialities as much as just thinking about them.

Anyway, I type animals jokingly but I don't think it can actually be done.

Vilku

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It might be possible to type monkeys or parrots, but I'm not sure about anything lower than that, unless an entirely new system were designed that works.

how about simply observing their behavior? ive done that to type several cats. and im firm that my typings are correct. hell, theres even one cat that im CERTAIN shes a 4w3 LOL.. (and isfp)

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Yup yup. Relatives had an bonehead esfp e78 retriever and his wacky little e67 isfj mutt as the premier welcoming team for a brief time. I, personally, inherited a sweet old sp/so e45 infp golden retriever who suffered from severe bladder problems until a giant stroke mercifully ended the pain. An e65 sp/so istj aunt also has some weird obsession with whippets, naturally.

Little_Sticks

What type is my cat?

She's Fi because she's nervous around everyone and is soft and gentle. Only when she gets good vibes from someone will she let them pet or pick her up. She also likes to be cradled. Fe because if she likes you, she will purr just from calling her name or seeing you. She's also Ne because she figured out how to open doors by pawing the handle and she has meows that she uses to figure out what kind of mood I'm in and whether it would be a good idea to have my attention. She's a funny cat. She talks back if you talk to her. Si because likes being in high places and will only sit on certain blankets. Se because she likes hunting and going outside and running around the house like a psycho when she's in the mood. Ni because she can read my mind sometimes. She has no Te. Ti because she only uses the litterbox.

10blackroses

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What type is my cat?

She's Fi because she's nervous around everyone and is soft and gentle. Only when she gets good vibes from someone will she let them pet or pick her up. She also likes to be cradled. Fe because if she likes you, she will purr just from calling her name or seeing you. She's also Ne because she figured out how to open doors by pawing the handle and she has meows that she uses to figure out what kind of mood I'm in and whether it would be a good idea to have my attention. She's a funny cat. She talks back if you talk to her. Si because likes being in high places and will only sit on certain blankets. Se because she likes hunting and going outside and running around the house like a psycho when she's in the mood. Ni because she can read my mind sometimes. She has no Te. Ti because she only uses the litterbox.

Your cat sounds like an INFP to me <3

10blackroses

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yup yup. Relatives had an bonehead esfp e78 retriever and his wacky little e67 isfj mutt as the premier welcoming team for a brief time. I, personally, inherited a sweet old sp/so e45 infp golden retriever who suffered from severe bladder problems until a giant stroke mercifully ended the pain. An e65 sp/so istj aunt also has some weird obsession with whippets, naturally.

Heh, yep, I could see why an ISTJ would be drawn to whippets :D

10blackroses

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You mean we're projecting the fact that we have a personality onto our pets?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My two dogs have very distinct personalities. But to type them with systems made for humans is impossible.

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
I believe my dog is ENFP. He doesn't want to stay at home when I'm going out, but he's not that active the whole day. He is mostly sleeping and liing there, doing nothing. (Like me). ;)

I think animals can develop a personality. We don't know much about animals' intelligence, so why exclude the possibility?

S

Society

Does your dog shed hair everywhere, takes a bite from everyones food, likes to lick people and slobbers all over? that does sound like me...