• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do you know if a woman is a thinker or a feeler?

Garthur17

MBTI Type
SDFS
Enneagram
SDF
It's hard for me to tell whether a woman prefers feeling or thinking. I perceive most of them as feelers. I believe majority of men think and women feel. It's easy for me to spot feeling men, though. But thinking women--IDK. I have a hard time distinguishing those preferences with women. When I see a girl cry I immediately think of her as feeler. So I perceive most of the girls I know as feelers. I know it's a bad basis for judgement. And that's why I'm asking this question right now.

Any advice on how to figure out the T/F preferences on girls?

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I actually don't think it's that simple because thinking has nothing to do with logic and feeling nothing to do with emotions and it's unfortunate people make that connection because Jung picked two easily misinterpreted words.

Thinking and feeling are simply ways we judge and evaluate incoming perception data where thinking does so impersonally and feeling based on values of say, good and bad. Feels like you're mostly operating on certain gender stereotypes here. I wouldn't be surprised if the gender divide between T/F is actually more even than people think it is.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Femininity took on a more "feeling" kind of characteristic, because women were more "personal" from being the mothers and nurturers (while men were the workers and protectors, so were more "impersonal").
Still, the true preference comes out when not acting in those roles. If a woman is more impersonal, going against that traditional image, that is a sign they may be a T. Barring NFJ, if they are "directive" in communication, they are a T.

I had to learn this, as I grew up under ISTJ parents, and they fit the typical stereotype with her being sweet and nurturing, and him being more "impersonal", but as I became older, she became more cold, as her true preference was coming out (and she then became less into the family, as she tried to "find herself" in a business career).

KDude

I say just operate under your existing assumptions, and see how far you can take it.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
About 2/3 of males prefer T and about 2/3 of females prefer F. So if you always assume male = T and female = F, you'll be right the majority of the time but you will still have mistyped a sizeable amount of people.

I'm sure societal expectations play some role in the differences in T/F percentages between the two genders.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's hard for me to tell whether a woman prefers feeling or thinking. I perceive most of them as feelers. I believe majority of men think and women feel. It's easy for me to spot feeling men, though. But thinking women--IDK. I have a hard time distinguishing those preferences with women. When I see a girl cry I immediately think of her as feeler. So I perceive most of the girls I know as feelers. I know it's a bad basis for judgement. And that's why I'm asking this question right now.

Any advice on how to figure out the T/F preferences on girls?
What about when men get filled with aggression? Or get excited at football games?

KDude

What about when men get filled with aggression? Or get excited at football games?

What about a guy filled with aggression, kicks another guy's ass, and then afterwards, cries for his wife? :thinking:

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Feelers in general, seem to exude more *warmth* than thinkers. Thinkers can be just as nice but with a sense of distance attached. I guess there's a personableness that lacks with thinking women or at least it doesn't come out immediately.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Everyone thinks AND feels. Everyone cries, or at least feels like it sometime. Men are just raised not to do it, at least in public, while women are allowed to express this more freely, so crying itself is not a reliable barometer of T/F. Look at whether she pays more attention to objective/impersonal or subjective/personal criteria; also, whether she seems more interested in people/relationships, or things/systems. The other pointers offered can help as well.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why not just assess everyone on the same basis? Like type wise in general?

It is true, however, that women are more able to use both hemispheres of their brains at the same time; so this facilitates greater intrapersonal communication, which I think leads to more ambiguity on the letters. I'd say women tend more often to be in the middle, and able to sort of switch back and forth more easily. So what this says is it's more important to not make assumptions with women.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Feelers in general, seem to exude more *warmth* than thinkers. Thinkers can be just as nice but with a sense of distance attached. I guess there's a personableness that lacks with thinking women or at least it doesn't come out immediately.

I think Fi vs Fe makes some difference too. Some of the IXFP types don't appear so personal on first glance. Their dominant in Fi, which is internal feeling. They feel strongly but it's not always apparent to others. Some of the EXTP types appear quite personable, especially if their tertiary Fe is well developed.

IXTPs have inferior Fe but overall they seem to appear somewhat more personable than XXTJ types who aren't Fe users.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think some heuristics from general experience can be useful in this realm:

Fe: I've noticed these people tend to use "dramatic" sarcasm when upset or when they feel "slighted". It's like a subconscious appeal to the "audience" to see how unreasonably the "other person" has slighted them. Example: "so I can't do abc, but she can do xyz!?" (read that while seeing the wife from American Beauty and it will make sense :wink: ).

Ti: tends to use more deadpan sarcastic snark.

Fi: "it's just wrong!... Because... I shouldn't have to explain..."

I'm too bored to do Te...

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This fuckin thread, man...:dont:

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think some heuristics from general experience can be useful in this realm:

Fe: I've noticed these people tend to use "dramatic" sarcasm when upset or when they feel "slighted". It's like a subconscious appeal to the "audience" to see how unreasonably the "other person" has slighted them. Example: "so I can't do abc, but she can do xyz!?" (read that while seeing the wife from American Beauty and it will make sense :wink: ).

Ti: tends to use more deadpan sarcastic snark.

Fi: "it's just wrong!... Because... I shouldn't have to explain..."

I'm too bored to do Te...

Te (granted, inferior perspective, but still Te): We got rules regarding social conduct that need to be followed. The point about Fe making an appeal to an audience is a good one. I've seen Fe types do this a lot.

And Fi would be more like, "It's wrong and I don't care what you think". It's not so much about a need to not explain. It's just that it's so obvious why it tends to take an absolutist stand. "It's wrong because I don't want to do it", for example.