123 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Default Does Typology build more bridges or walls between people?

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    And typing is a way to avoid spontaneous interaction, to keep others at a distance, to avoid intimacy, to treat others as things, and to exert your power.
    source - Mistyped TypeCentral Members
    Because based on what Victor says, it can keep us separated, but supposedly, the theory is suppost to help us understand one another.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Obligatory cop-out answer: Depends on how you use it.

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    ^ This.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Because based on what Victor says, it can keep us separated, but supposedly, the theory is suppost to help us understand one another.
    Depends on how the concepts are integrated within one's thinking/behavior/perception of the self & others.

It can easily be turned into some sort of prejudice; idealizing some types, while villainizing others. Or, someone may attempt to use it as a tool for manipulation. The list goes on. Nearly any way we choose to read other people, whether the language of "typology" is present or not, can either be used as something constructive, like a compass, to navigate & grasp general patterns to bridge gaps in perception, or it can be used to uphold one's own internal walls, boost ego/sense of control, etc. It's on the individual.

*edit* I LOLed when I read your post after clicking submit, @Tyrinth.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Of course the propaganda is that typing each other brings us together, and it does because it requires the suspension of our disbelief.

And the suspension of disbelief is far more effective in a group.

So typing forms the same function as religion or art.

My only objection to mbti is that it purports to measure personality, when it is a New Age cult.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    Just like guns: it depends on how you use them. But this flies in the face of fact, for my country bans assault weapons and has no, repeat no, gun massacres while the richest country won't ban assault weapons and has a regular parade of gun massacres.

And the meta fact is that we create our tools and our tools create us.

The Bible tells us, for instance, we have dominion over nature, but genetics tells us we are part of nature. So when we pollute nature, nature pollutes us.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

I think that how you use it is up to you. Choose to connect aided by typology, or choose to discriminate. But that's the easy answer.

Misusing it is easier, though, for humans. Even well-established indexes of types have their little biases when looked at closely.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5 sx

Since I've joined this forum and have been able to hear people of various types explain what drives them and how they process their experiences, it's made me more understanding. But I had much more simplistic ideas about what to expect from certain types when I was reading about typology on my own. So, yeah, as Tyrinth said -- depends on the person's approach (attitude + setting in which they learn).

What I especially don't like is the idea of using types as shortcuts to getting to know people.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Of course the propaganda is that typing each other brings us together, and it does because it requires the suspension of our disbelief.

And the suspension of disbelief is far more effective in a group.

So typing forms the same function as religion or art.

My only objection to mbti is that it purports to measure personality, when it is a New Age cult.
    You're such a sensationalist get over yourself.....there is no new age cult being formed. Typing isn't suppose to bring us closer together or farther apart it is simply a tool used to better understand ourselves and each other.

I think it would build walls if it is used as a tool to interact with others using. It seems like it would lead to rigidity in thinking concerning others. Outside of contemplation and reflection. I am talking about direct interaction.