User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 33

  1. #21
    WALMART
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Just like guns: it depends on how you use them. But this flies in the face of fact, for my country bans assault weapons and has no, repeat no, gun massacres while the richest country won't ban assault weapons and has a regular parade of gun massacres.

    You don't think this factor contributes to the overall tone present in America, apart from the prevalence of firearms?

  2. #22
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529
    Quote Originally Posted by LeaT View Post
    They simply describe certain observable traits but it is ultimately up to us to decide how we use these descriptors (labels etc.).
    Come on, for 200,000 years we observed the Earth went round the Sun, and we were completely wrong. And today we observe personality traits and are again completely wrong.

    It was only with the European Enlightenment of the 17th and 18th centuries that we applied evidence and reason and found astronomy and that the Earth went round the Sun; and later we applied evidence and reason and found psychometrics and found we could measure personality types within certain paramenters and interpret the results.

    Mbti is based on the suspension of disbelief and is make-believe.

  3. #23
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529
    Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    You don't think this factor contributes to the overall tone present in America, apart from the prevalence of firearms?
    The King's Peace was administered by the Justices of the Peace who were the most powerful persons in the County.

    And the Justices of the Peace brought the King's Peace by bringing the King's Law as well as disarming the population.

    However the US made the mistake of getting rid of the King before the Justices of the Peace could disarm the population.

    And the US now being a democracy, the people won't give up their guns.

  4. #24
    royal member Rasofy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,932

    Default

    Both. It's kinda like alcohol.
    -----------------

    A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '


    -----------------

  5. #25
    Senior Member Entropic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    1,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Come on, for 200,000 years we observed the Earth went round the Sun, and we were completely wrong. And today we observe personality traits and are again completely wrong.

    It was only with the European Enlightenment of the 17th and 18th centuries that we applied evidence and reason and found astronomy and that the Earth went round the Sun; and later we applied evidence and reason and found psychometrics and found we could measure personality types within certain paramenters and interpret the results.

    Mbti is based on the suspension of disbelief and is make-believe.
    Been thinking this for a while now that you just hate intuition. Just because it's not tangible to the naked eye it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. By that logic atoms don't exist that as you claim, relies on a suspense of disbelief since the processes of the phenomena we observe are not tangible. Just because we haven't fully understood how something works it doesn't mean we will not understand how it works in the future. Maybe you should look a bit more into the study of temperaments where it is clear that our personality very well has been developed both as a result of the natural and social environment in which we inhabit.

    I was waiting for the day you and I would meet.

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Youtuber | The Typologist Blog | Redditor | Message me!

  6. #26
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529
    Quote Originally Posted by LeaT View Post
    Been thinking this for a while now that you just hate intuition. Just because it's not tangible to the naked eye it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. By that logic atoms don't exist that as you claim, relies on a suspense of disbelief since the processes of the phenomena we observe are not tangible. Just because we haven't fully understood how something works it doesn't mean we will not understand how it works in the future. Maybe you should look a bit more into the study of temperaments where it is clear that our personality very well has been developed both as a result of the natural and social environment in which we inhabit.
    Why not pick up a book on Psychometrics and we will have something to talk about.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Entropic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    1,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Why not pick up a book on Psychometrics and we will have something to talk about.
    Because I'm not interested in discussing psychometrics on this site unless you mean of course, the MBTI as a psychometric instrument:
    Another major focus in psychometrics has been on personality testing. There have been a range of theoretical approaches to conceptualizing and measuring personality. Some of the better known instruments include the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory, the Five-Factor Model (or "Big 5") and tools such as Personality and Preference Inventory and the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. Attitudes have also been studied extensively using psychometric approaches. A common method in the measurement of attitudes is the use of the Likert scale. An alternative method involves the application of unfolding measurement models, the most general being the Hyperbolic Cosine Model (Andrich & Luo, 1993).
    So what were you saying again?

    I was waiting for the day you and I would meet.

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Youtuber | The Typologist Blog | Redditor | Message me!

  8. #28
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529
    Quote Originally Posted by LeaT View Post
    Because I'm not interested in discussing psychometrics on this site unless you mean of course, the MBTI as a psychometric instrument:
    So what were you saying again?
    No Psychology Department in any registered University teaches mbti. Anymore than any Astronomy Department in any registered University teaches astrology.

  9. #29
    Senior Member Bamboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    XXFP
    Posts
    2,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeaT View Post
    Yes, but in the context of typology. I simply expanded and generalized the statement. I thought the expansion was unclear? Or at least I didn't pick it up as such.
    It's ok. Either way I was talking less about MBTI and more about the general, so we're talking about the same thing.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

  10. #30
    Senior Member Entropic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    1,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    It's ok. Either way I was talking less about MBTI and more about the general, so we're talking about the same thing.
    Yup. Miscommunications happen.

    I was waiting for the day you and I would meet.

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Youtuber | The Typologist Blog | Redditor | Message me!

Similar Threads

  1. Does this sound more like enneagram 3 or 7?
    By CallumKL243 in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-14-2017, 11:59 AM
  2. "mixed" or in-between types
    By sculpting in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-01-2009, 09:21 AM
  3. [NT] Difference between genius and normal peson or just between intuitive and sensing?
    By Lexlike in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 02-16-2009, 11:27 PM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-27-2007, 10:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO