User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    You're SURPRISED that Lynard Skynard were good?

Where are you from?
    I don't really like grung/metal/alternative/punk/rap rock that seems to dominate now. I guess that means I like Blues Rock or something, which kind of seems dead in the music industry. So I was pleasantly surprised to hear them play and not only that, but they played the songs very well. Some bands show up drinking and play offkey or they play drunk and sound like shit. But they were quite lucid backstage. They were really having fun.

Florida?

It irritates me. Though I hate people who are a bore to be around.
    I really like cats and food.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    I don't really like grung/metal/alternative/punk/rap rock that seems to dominate now. I guess that means I like Blues Rock or something, which kind of seems dead in the music industry. So I was pleasantly surprised to hear them play and not only that, but they played the songs very well. Some bands show up drinking and play offkey or they play drunk and sound like shit. But they were quite lucid backstage. They were really having fun.

Florida?
    I'm just curious. I'm from the South, I saw them play in North Carolina in the 90s, and it tends to be understood by anyone who would even venture to go see Lynard Skynard what an epic band they really are, I mean there's a reason why people in bars scream "Free Bird" and hold up lighters.

I've always liked "Simple Man" and "The Ballad of Curtis Lowe" a lot.

I asked where you were from because I'd be surprised if a Southerner was surprised, but more understanding if you're from California or Ohio and have a knee-jerk response to presume all Southern Rock is crap-ola.

I love classic rock. I wonder if I'm older than you, but this is actually my parents generations music, not even mine. I just grew up hearing it. Didn't you?

I'm just curious. I'm from the South, I saw them play in North Carolina in the 90s, and it tends to be understood by anyone who would even venture to go see Lynard Skynard what an epic band they really are, I mean there's a reason why people in bars scream "Free Bird" and hold up lighters.

I've always liked "Simple Man" and "The Ballad of Curtis Lowe" a lot.

I asked where you were from because I'd be surprised if a Southerner was surprised, but more understanding if you're from California or Ohio and have a knee-jerk response to presume all Southern Rock is crap-ola.

I love classic rock. I wonder if I'm older than you, but this is actually my parents generations music, not even mine. I just grew up hearing it. Didn't you?
    Nope. My generation had Metallica, Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson (I do like Smells Like Children), Tool, Rage Against the Machine, Pearl Jam, Blink 182, Green Day, etc. Some of the punk bands have some nice guitar riffs, but then they ruin it by shouting instead of singing...lol.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Nope. My generation had Metallica, Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson (I do like Smells Like Children), Tool, Rage Against the Machine, Pearl Jam, Blink 182, Green Day, etc. Some of the punk bands have some nice guitar riffs, but then they ruin it by shouting instead of singing...lol.
    You don't like any new music? I believe we're the same age, you might be a couple years older perhaps, and I still like plenty of new music.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Wait...are you saying that you were a little kid in the 90s?

Oh nevermind. You are younger than me.

I actually mostly heard 80s music in my childhood. I wasn't even thought of in 1973, son, but even when I was a teenager in the 90s so many of my friends, and my friends parents, listened to 70s guitar rock and classic rock, and I know a guy who grew up in California who is five years younger than me who also like classic rock, though I'm not clear if he grew up with Southern Rock, I think maybe I pointed him more in that direction a time or two.

I would think in Florida, even if you're about ten years younger than me, you still would have heard Southern Rock in the 90s.

No?

You don't like any new music? I believe we're the same age, you might be a couple years older perhaps, and I still like plenty of new music.
    I liked the electronic stuff from Pretty Hate Machine. In terms of new, not much. I liked Halfaxa from Grimes. I like Bjork. Some music from Schiller is really good too. Koan, just Koan, is another band I like. I think there's something about electronic music that I really like that goes well with southern rock. Oh yeah, Aphex Twin is one of my favorite electronic artists.

Wait...are you saying that you were a little kid in the 90s?

Oh nevermind. You are younger than me.
    I'm in my twenties. I don't want to be any more specific.

I actually mostly heard 80s music in my childhood. I wasn't even thought of in 1973, son, but even when I was a teenager in the 90s so many of my friends, and my friends parents, listened to 70s guitar rock and classic rock, and I know a guy who grew up in California who is five years younger than me who also like classic rock, though I'm not clear if he grew up with Southern Rock, I think maybe I pointed him more in that direction a time or two.

I would think in Florida, even if you're about ten years younger than me, you still would have heard Southern Rock in the 90s.

No?
    Nope. It might depend on where you live, but there are a lot of immigrants and poor black people around here. It was mostly gangster rap that people were into. You think it would be the other way around, but just look at how Florida votes every election; it's always split. Florida also tends to be a customer service state, so a lot of people looking for work would pour into here before the recession and now that's a large part of the culture. There's really no south anymore, at least not in the redneck sense. Heh, actually...the guy who ran the concert was doing events to advertise at local bars and restaurants; and at one restaurant after about 10pm, everybody would leave the bar that listened to country music and hordes of black people would pour in and listen to rap. That's kind of how Florida is, I guess.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I liked the electronic stuff from Pretty Hate Machine. In terms of new, not much. I liked Halfaxa from Grimes. I like Bjork. Some music from Schiller is really good too. Koan, just Koan, is another band I like. I think there's something about electronic music that I really like that goes well with southern rock. Oh yeah, Aphex Twin is one of my favorite electronic artists.
    Oh I like people like Bat For Lashes, Hurts, M.I.A., Florence and the Machine, and I even like certain songs from artists like Taylor Swift and Beyonce. Panic! At the Disco is one of the best more recent pop groups (I really think pop and hip hop have gone to hell, I like very little new hip hop after about 2000-2005) ....I even like that song that's like "Ho Hey" (I was meant for you, you were meant for me, SWEETHEART) and um...I really liked "Somebody I Used to Know" last year.

I like plenty of new music, some groups more than others.

I'm in my twenties. I don't want to be any more specific.
    Me neither. I never say my exact age because I don't want people tracking me down, besides who cares how old I am.

Nope. It might depend on where you live, but there are a lot of immigrants and poor black people around here. It was mostly gangster rap that people were into. You think it would be the other way around, but just look at how Florida votes every election; it's always split. Florida also tends to be a customer service state, so a lot of people looking for work would pour into here before the recession and now that's a large part of the culture. There's really no south anymore, at least not in the redneck sense. Heh, actually...the guy who ran the concert was doing events to advertise at local bars and restaurants; and at one restaurant after about 10pm, everybody would leave the bar that listened to country music and hordes of black people would pour in and listen to rap. That's kind of how Florida is, I guess.
    Hmmm. yeah I've always heard Florida referred to as a white trash state, outside of places like Miami where there is the upscale and gay population in South Beach and the Cubans everywhere else. My parents lived in West Florida before I was born, that's where I was allegedly conceived, but I haven't spent a huge amount of time there.

I've even heard people say Florida isn't really the South though it's one of the most Southern (geographical) states.

West Virginia used to be Virginia before the Civil War, and my family has lived in Virginia/NC since like the 1600-1700s as far as I know, seeing as they are from the protestant Irish wave, or Scots-Irish, which was a good 200 years before the Catholic Irish, plus German, and then Native American on my maternal great-grandmother's side.

My family is truly Southern, my mom talks like Loretta Lynn and was raised in a rural part of NC, in Hawaii for a few years when my grandfather was stationed there, and then in a rural part of WV, only moving closer to the ...ah... city when she was almost old enough to graduate high school.

Like her, I grew up between WV and NC as well, but had the benefit of my family now having more money and property, and being closer to the major cities.

Still, nearly everyone I knew in NC listened to classic rock in the 90s, even my BFFs dad who is like Japanese American.

Ofc there's always country and rap music and blues and so forth, I guess it depends on who you know.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I also don't know how much you've traveled to other Southern states, but there are black people there, too; Atlanta is actually now predominantly African American, and I went to college in WV at a historically black university.

There are more African American people in the South then there are in places like the MidWest, but nobody ever talks about that, for some reason, I've always found lingering ideas about the South moderately offensive, even the two years I lived in a tiny town on the border of Virginia next to Tennessee because my grandpa was working on some project there, my best friends were one blonde girl, one girl who was the daughter of an immigrant doctor from India, and an African American girl whose father was actually from Africa and was a college professor.

That's not what this conversation is about, but I'd like to correct any weird ideas you may have, because of my implication that everyone listened to Southern Rock when I was growing up; they did.

But as I say, a lot of people tell me Florida isn't the real South and never was, so that may have something to do with it. It may be more of a touristy state like Nevada.

MBTI
    ISTJ

I appreciate it especially in group settings because you always need someone ra-ra in any group outings/events.
    I find it hard to express enthusiasm even when I feel it though. I feel like I sound fake even to myself.