User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 42

  1. #21
    Senior Member ThatsWhatHeSaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    7,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Science regards personal interpretation as merely anecdotal and of no scientific validity.
    Nice strawman. I didn't say it has scientific validity. I said it's a stage within the scientific method. And it is. If people couldn't form their own interpretations, own old interpretations would never be challenged and we'd be unable to make any progress in our knowledge. Surely you're not arguing on behalf of stagnation, are you?

  2. #22
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,540
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Nice strawman. I didn't say it has scientific validity. I said it's a stage within the scientific method. And it is. If people couldn't form their own interpretations, own old interpretations would never be challenged and we'd be unable to make any progress in our knowledge. Surely you're not arguing on behalf of stagnation, are you?
    For 200,000 years we had personal interpretation and we believed the Sun went round the Earth.

    Personal interpretation led us into stagnation for 200,000 years, but in the 17th and 18th centuries the Enlightenment led us out of personal interpretation into evidence and reason.

    But still, the protestant reformation of 1517 is still with us and so is personal testimony.

    And personal testimony is an authority that can't be challenged by evidence and reason.

  3. #23
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Looks lets just get this straight, American and Canadian women are more attractive than Australian women.

    I introduce as exhibit A a comparison between Victor's and Fidelia's avatars.

  4. #24
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Looks lets just get this straight, American and Canadian women are more attractive than Australian women.

    I introduce as exhibit A a comparison between Victor's and Fidelia's avatars.
    Perhaps a more interesting personal interpretation would ask, who is the more attractive, Fidelia or Victor?

  5. #25
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Perhaps a more interesting personal interpretation would ask, who is the more attractive, Fidelia or Victor?
    Dude, seriously, such a comparison is a grevious sin and error.

  6. #26
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Dude, seriously, such a comparison is a grevious sin and error.
    I am prepared, willing and able, for the face-off between Fidelia and Victor. Let the people decide who is the more attractive.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I am prepared, willing and able, for the face-off between Fidelia and Victor. Let the people decide who is the more attractive.
    The people?!

    Make me laugh so hard I'll do myself an injury will you? I'm on to you Victor, well played, well played indeed.

  8. #28
    Senior Member Winds of Thor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    1,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    For 200,000 years we had personal interpretation and we believed the Sun went round the Earth.

    Personal interpretation led us into stagnation for 200,000 years, but in the 17th and 18th centuries the Enlightenment led us out of personal interpretation into evidence and reason.

    But still, the protestant reformation of 1517 is still with us and so is personal testimony.

    And personal testimony is an authority that can't be challenged by evidence and reason.
    Why? Why not?
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

  9. #29
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    For 200,000 years we had personal interpretation and we believed the Sun went round the Earth.

    Personal interpretation led us into stagnation for 200,000 years, but in the 17th and 18th centuries the Enlightenment led us out of personal interpretation into evidence and reason.

    But still, the protestant reformation of 1517 is still with us and so is personal testimony.

    And personal testimony is an authority that can't be challenged by evidence and reason.
    Sun does go round the earth. But you are right, personal interpretation is not the only one.

  10. #30
    Iron Maiden fidelia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx
    Posts
    11,134

    Default

    Have I actually seen any pictures of Victor before? I don't recall it if I have...

Similar Threads

  1. Dude.... Describe the forum role of the person above
    By Atomic Fiend in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 748
    Last Post: Yesterday, 07:21 PM
  2. Guess what's the real proffesions of person below you
    By hacbad macbar in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-10-2014, 02:39 AM
  3. What is the American frame of mind?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 10-19-2009, 09:19 PM
  4. Closing of the American Mind - a review
    By Sniffles in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-08-2008, 05:26 PM
  5. The Novelty of Personality Types
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-06-2008, 06:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO