User Tag List

View Poll Results: What's your primary motivation for using this website?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • to understand myself first, then others

18 50.00%
  • to unerstand others first, then myself

6 16.67%
  • to learn about typology as a system in a totally nonpersonal way

6 16.67%
  • to socialize

11 30.56%
  • intelligent discussion

20 55.56%
  • none of the above, I'm a troll

5 13.89%
  • other

8 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

I came here first to understand others... then I learned a lot about myself... now I come here mainly for pleasing intelligent discussion and socializing, but I still definitely bring my interpersonal conflicts to the board for help with understanding, and continue seeking to understand myself better via typology theory - I tend to gather information elsewhere and process it here.

In terms of socializing, I work closely with about 6-10 of the same people 5/7 days a week, and usually spend the rest of the day and weekends with my family, boyfriend, and family friends, so I spend a lot of time face-to-face with people. I love that, but I also like to "socialize" here as downtime because it's low key and low pressure - there are still people I like and interesting topics, but not all the hustle-bustle of personal interaction. I can choose if and when to interact.

To be honest, I don't pay attention to what most members are here for, not in terms of individual analysis. Since it's a completely optional community, I don't really expect anything out of anyone here beyond basic human consideration. There are certain users I enjoy in particular, and those tend to be people who have been here for a while and whom I have a history of good discussion with, especially if it has been at a more personal level. And then there is a very small handful of people who tend to tick me off, generally because they ignite unpleasant conflict (which is quite different from being raw or bold). But in general, I am positive-neutral on most people, have a vague "concept" of them, enjoy discussing with them on topics we're mutually interested in, and don't really think about them much beyond that.

@greenfairy, you've never struck me as particularly egocentric. When I think of you, I think pretty sparkly green fairy avatar, undecided over INTP, INFJ, etc., and a fairly regular user. You strike me as intelligent and articulate.

To tune into the vibe of the electronic tribe in the global village.

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    I came here first to understand others... then I learned a lot about myself... now I come here mainly for pleasing intelligent discussion and socializing, but I still definitely bring my interpersonal conflicts to the board for help with understanding, and continue seeking to understand myself better via typology theory - I tend to gather information elsewhere and process it here.

In terms of socializing, I work closely with about 6-10 of the same people 5/7 days a week, and usually spend the rest of the day and weekends with my family, boyfriend, and family friends, so I spend a lot of time face-to-face with people. I love that, but I also like to "socialize" here as downtime because it's low key and low pressure - there are still people I like and interesting topics, but not all the hustle-bustle of personal interaction. I can choose if and when to interact.

To be honest, I don't pay attention to what most members are here for, not in terms of individual analysis. Since it's a completely optional community, I don't really expect anything out of anyone here beyond basic human consideration. There are certain users I enjoy in particular, and those tend to be people who have been here for a while and whom I have a history of good discussion with, especially if it has been at a more personal level. And then there is a very small handful of people who tend to tick me off, generally because they ignite unpleasant conflict (which is quite different from being raw or bold). But in general, I am positive-neutral on most people, have a vague "concept" of them, enjoy discussing with them on topics we're mutually interested in, and don't really think about them much beyond that.

Nice in depth answer. I seem to find ENFP perspectives particularly enlightening.

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    @greenfairy, you've never struck me as particularly egocentric. When I think of you, I think pretty sparkly green fairy avatar, undecided over INTP, INFJ, etc., and a fairly regular user. You strike me as intelligent and articulate.
    Thanks!

I'm modifying my outlook based on all these answers, and because I've been thinking. I think I had a narrow idea of socializing.

What's your primary motivation for using this website?
    The people I know in real life have little to no interest in meta-discussions. This place is like a cake for anyone that wants to talk about or express such thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ism View Post
    Everyone is like my imaginary friend, whether they know it or not. <3
    Awesome.

"intelligent" discussion. But lol, discussions have a tendency to spiral. So I know my limits.

But, to understand myself, the first thing is to understand others.

The Abstract and the Concrete

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    The people I know in real life have little to no interest in meta-discussions. This place is like a cake for anyone that wants to talk about or express such thoughts.
    Awesome.
    A meta discussion is a discussion about a discussion.

So a meta discussion is an abstract discussion.

And abstraction is powerful because it covers many concrete instances.

However the most interesting thing is the relationship between the abstract and the concrete.

Random entertainment.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    Ell

Currently I use it mostly for research on fictional character's personality types

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

How do you use this site?
    Mostly as a napkin.

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Mostly as a napkin.
    More people should do this. It would save trees.