• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fi the most useless function jobwise?

Puerto Espana

I've been thinking that out of the cognitive functions that are judging functions (i.e. Te/Fe/Ti/Fi), Fi is probably the most useless in getting a job or having in work situations. Why? It seems to have no economic use! It's really difficult to bank on that function, because it seems that there aren't really jobs or careers for that function. I can't really come up with any real jobs that would pay money, that would necessitate or where the Fi function would be an advantage over Fe, Te or Ti! If Fe is sales, Te is management and Ti is engineering, what is Fi? This is a generalization, but helps to highlight the issue.

All the other judging functions are good at something that has economic value, but Fi seems to have zero economic value. Let me give examples. For example Te types have a tendency to be good managers, accountants and can be engineers (can use their Te strength). Fe types have a tendency to be good at sales, promotion and customer service (can use their Fe strength). Ti types have a tendency to be good engineers, especially electrical, electronics, mechanics and aerospace (can use their Ti strength)... It's difficult to come up with careers for Fi types... maybe arts, music, dance and such but really? Does Fi equal art?

However, I believe that the function has great advantages in private life.
I would love to hear what Fi dominants and Fi auxiliaries have to say (ISFP, INFP, ESFP, ENFP)!

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Fi can offer really strong passion towards things, having passion towards your work is really good thing, it might not be useful in deciding whether to sell your stocks now or not, but it can be a great catalyst for other functions to start working towards meaningful issue. Not to mention that Fi can really help reading people, especially with Ne.

Aesthete

Gone
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think Fi could be good at manipulating people (into buying products and whatnot). There is a sort of understanding of what people like and don't like - a better understanding that that of Fe-users (maybe Ni/Fe), but less pragmatic and more theoretical, which could work. However, I might just be talking about Fi/Ne and Ne/Fi; don't know how SFPs do.

In either case, I'm not interested in selling myself to the market.

Edit: Also what INTP said.

Puerto Espana

So I could be right? I wasn't completely wrong?
Ok, so sales could be a good career, somewhat similar to Fe?
How about arts? I mentioned that in the OP.
Do you think that Fi types have a tendency to be against Te?
Often Te is equated with business mentality...
Like "I'm not selling myself", "I hate capitalism" type of thing?
My ESFP friend told me that she doesn't like sales because she has to push, force people to buy things...
So she's aspiring to become a cook.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Using that intense personal meaning and authenticity that Fi brings can make you excel...at the right job. If you dont support the product you are selling, it can be hard to do your job as Fi often values authenticity. Arts are good, as it allows you to express your passions, but can pay crap.

In essence, it comes down -from what I can tell- to believing strongly in something, then developing the extra skills to actually *do something with it.

So in that respect, Fi is useless, imo. It is a really good bonus feature to pile on top of an already existing skill set which is compatible with the strong personal convictions of said Fi-user.

Aesthete

Gone
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hm...Te need not be capitalistic; I know a very anti-capitalistic INTJ, for example. Te is order-constructing, but that depends on what is seen as "oder" by the individual, which in INTJs, I think, is mainly some sort of Ni-Fi combo.

So, no, I don't think Fi stands in complete contrast to Te.

As for the arts, they tend to be quite common amongst people with Fi, but not necessary. I know an ESFP who's into sports, for example.

Puerto Espana

Using that intense personal meaning and authenticity that Fi brings can make you excel...at the right job. If you dont support the product you are selling, it can be hard to do your job as Fi often values authenticity. Arts are good, as it allows you to express your passions, but can pay crap.

In essence, it comes down -from what I can tell- to believing strongly in something, then developing the extra skills to actually *do something with it.

So in that respect, Fi is useless, imo. It is a really good bonus feature to pile on top of an already existing skill set which is compatible with the strong personal convictions of said Fi-user.

But most jobs are just jobs, eh... Passionate about McDonald's lately?
Is this what Fi people have to face in today's society?

Puerto Espana

Hm...Te need not be capitalistic; I know a very anti-capitalistic INTJ, for example. Te is order-constructing, but that depends on what is seen as "oder" by the individual, which in INTJs, I think, is mainly some sort of Ni-Fi combo.

So, no, I don't think Fi stands in complete contrast to Te.

As for the arts, they tend to be quite common amongst people with Fi, but not necessary. I know an ESFP who's into sports, for example.

Oh yes, not in complete contrast. Every Fi type has Te after all... ENxPs have it as their tertiary.
Not every Te user is capitalistic, but my view is that their organizational skills are good in business and that they want people to do things the way that is "rational", "efficient", "effective"... thus they are often seen as good managers.
Maybe the complete contrast is Ti (like used in aerospace engineering and such).

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
You should clarify what you mean by Fi, as it relates to economic value. There's a disconnect between your evaluation of Fi and what's been offered by others.

Puerto Espana

You should clarify what you mean by Fi, as it relates to economic value. There's a disconnect between your evaluation of Fi and what's been offered by others.

Economic value as a personal trait that helps getting a job/is good to have in work situations.
Something that is bankable, that someone would pay money for...
You tell me, I couldn't find any.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

try nurse for example, or doctor, or someone curing aids in africa etc etc

Aesthete

Gone
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh yes, not in complete contrast. Every Fi type has Te after all... ENxPs have it as their tertiary.
Not every Te user is capitalistic, but my view is that their organizational skills are good in business and that they want people to do things the way that is "rational", "efficient", "effective"... thus they are often seen as good managers.
Maybe the complete contrast is Ti (like used in aerospace engineering and such).

Agreed about all, except that I don't think there's really such a thing as complete contrast of functions.

Puerto Espana

try nurse for example, or doctor, or someone curing aids in africa etc etc

Are Fi users often working in not-for-profit organizations? Such as Greenpeace, The Red Cross etc.???
That Fi lends itself to work for a cause?
Nursing? I have known two ESFP nurses...

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Economic value as a personal trait that helps getting a job/is good to have in work situations.

So, anything that ties to employment opportunity as a valued, emotional trait? That's easy.

I spend most of my free time exploring Excel forums, as I enjoy the complexities of its programming and tie my understanding into increased role accountabilities as to elevate my visibility for future promotions.

Puerto Espana

So, anything that ties to employment opportunity as a valued, emotional trait? That's easy.

I spend most of my free time exploring Excel forums, as I enjoy the complexities of its programming and tie my understanding into increased role accountabilities as to elevate my visibility for future promotions.

I don't know as an emotional trait... But yes, as a valued trait. As a valued way of thinking, understanding etc. For example Ti comes in handy in understanding mining equipment and internal combustion engines. Companies are willing to pay good money to have such employees that can understand how these muthafuckers operate (engineers, consultants, repairmen etc.)!

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Unfortunately, yes.

One could always go into business for himself though, as a freelance-something.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
To do graphic design or like?
Not to fix rocket engines...

Freelance anything you liek, really. Graphic designer, copy writer, webdesigner, consultant, etc etc

dpolaristar

MBTI Type
INTP
I've been thinking that out of the cognitive functions that are judging functions (i.e. Te/Fe/Ti/Fi), Fi is probably the most useless in getting a job or having in work situations. Why? It seems to have no economic use! It's really difficult to bank on that function, because it seems that there aren't really jobs or careers for that function. I can't really come up with any real jobs that would pay money, that would necessitate or where the Fi function would be an advantage over Fe, Te or Ti! If Fe is sales, Te is management and Ti is engineering, what is Fi? This is a generalization, but helps to highlight the issue.

All the other judging functions are good at something that has economic value, but Fi seems to have zero economic value. Let me give examples. For example Te types have a tendency to be good managers, accountants and can be engineers (can use their Te strength). Fe types have a tendency to be good at sales, promotion and customer service (can use their Fe strength). Ti types have a tendency to be good engineers, especially electrical, electronics, mechanics and aerospace (can use their Ti strength)... It's difficult to come up with careers for Fi types... maybe arts, music, dance and such but really? Does Fi equal art?

However, I believe that the function has great advantages in private life.
I would love to hear what Fi dominants and Fi auxiliaries have to say (ISFP, INFP, ESFP, ENFP)!

Depends on the job. Your only thinking of job as office or salejob. What about jobs about diplomacy or humanitarian causes, or being privately employed as an author, writer, or singer. I think Fi would come in very much handy in thus situations.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fi provides personal motivation, and thus can apply to getting and excelling in any type of job. If the job is in a field of interest, Fi likely underlies that interest and keeps one going through the demands of getting education/training, job-hunting, and any difficulties that arise. Even in a boring, low-level job unrelated to one's aspirations, Fi can motivate your commitment to get work experience, be loyal to your workgroup ("good team player"), even earn a living for yourself and your family, while also fueling your ambition for something more. I see Fi at the root of many positive work behaviors that employees happily reward, from honesty and integrity to loyalty to an overall good work ethic. Fe can motivate much of this as well but is more based on external considerations. If those change, the employee's perspective and behavior might also change. Since Fi is internal, it will weather those changes better.