User Tag List

123 Last

Default Fi the most useless function jobwise?

I've been thinking that out of the cognitive functions that are judging functions (i.e. Te/Fe/Ti/Fi), Fi is probably the most useless in getting a job or having in work situations. Why? It seems to have no economic use! It's really difficult to bank on that function, because it seems that there aren't really jobs or careers for that function. I can't really come up with any real jobs that would pay money, that would necessitate or where the Fi function would be an advantage over Fe, Te or Ti! If Fe is sales, Te is management and Ti is engineering, what is Fi? This is a generalization, but helps to highlight the issue.

All the other judging functions are good at something that has economic value, but Fi seems to have zero economic value. Let me give examples. For example Te types have a tendency to be good managers, accountants and can be engineers (can use their Te strength). Fe types have a tendency to be good at sales, promotion and customer service (can use their Fe strength). Ti types have a tendency to be good engineers, especially electrical, electronics, mechanics and aerospace (can use their Ti strength)... It's difficult to come up with careers for Fi types... maybe arts, music, dance and such but really? Does Fi equal art?

However, I believe that the function has great advantages in private life.
    I would love to hear what Fi dominants and Fi auxiliaries have to say (ISFP, INFP, ESFP, ENFP)!

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Fi can offer really strong passion towards things, having passion towards your work is really good thing, it might not be useful in deciding whether to sell your stocks now or not, but it can be a great catalyst for other functions to start working towards meaningful issue. Not to mention that Fi can really help reading people, especially with Ne.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/sx

I think Fi could be good at manipulating people (into buying products and whatnot). There is a sort of understanding of what people like and don't like - a better understanding that that of Fe-users (maybe Ni/Fe), but less pragmatic and more theoretical, which could work. However, I might just be talking about Fi/Ne and Ne/Fi; don't know how SFPs do.

In either case, I'm not interested in selling myself to the market.

Edit: Also what INTP said.
    Great men are like eagles, and build their nest on some lofty solitude.

Schopenhauer

So I could be right? I wasn't completely wrong?
    Ok, so sales could be a good career, somewhat similar to Fe?
    How about arts? I mentioned that in the OP.
    Do you think that Fi types have a tendency to be against Te?
    Often Te is equated with business mentality...
    Like "I'm not selling myself", "I hate capitalism" type of thing?
    My ESFP friend told me that she doesn't like sales because she has to push, force people to buy things...
    So she's aspiring to become a cook.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Using that intense personal meaning and authenticity that Fi brings can make you excel...at the right job. If you dont support the product you are selling, it can be hard to do your job as Fi often values authenticity. Arts are good, as it allows you to express your passions, but can pay crap.

In essence, it comes down -from what I can tell- to believing strongly in something, then developing the extra skills to actually *do something with it.

So in that respect, Fi is useless, imo. It is a really good bonus feature to pile on top of an already existing skill set which is compatible with the strong personal convictions of said Fi-user.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/sx

Hm...Te need not be capitalistic; I know a very anti-capitalistic INTJ, for example. Te is order-constructing, but that depends on what is seen as "oder" by the individual, which in INTJs, I think, is mainly some sort of Ni-Fi combo.

So, no, I don't think Fi stands in complete contrast to Te.

As for the arts, they tend to be quite common amongst people with Fi, but not necessary. I know an ESFP who's into sports, for example.
    Great men are like eagles, and build their nest on some lofty solitude.

Schopenhauer

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Using that intense personal meaning and authenticity that Fi brings can make you excel...at the right job. If you dont support the product you are selling, it can be hard to do your job as Fi often values authenticity. Arts are good, as it allows you to express your passions, but can pay crap.

In essence, it comes down -from what I can tell- to believing strongly in something, then developing the extra skills to actually *do something with it.

So in that respect, Fi is useless, imo. It is a really good bonus feature to pile on top of an already existing skill set which is compatible with the strong personal convictions of said Fi-user.
    But most jobs are just jobs, eh... Passionate about McDonald's lately?
    Is this what Fi people have to face in today's society?

Quote Originally Posted by Aesthete View Post
    Hm...Te need not be capitalistic; I know a very anti-capitalistic INTJ, for example. Te is order-constructing, but that depends on what is seen as "oder" by the individual, which in INTJs, I think, is mainly some sort of Ni-Fi combo.

So, no, I don't think Fi stands in complete contrast to Te.

As for the arts, they tend to be quite common amongst people with Fi, but not necessary. I know an ESFP who's into sports, for example.
    Oh yes, not in complete contrast. Every Fi type has Te after all... ENxPs have it as their tertiary.
    Not every Te user is capitalistic, but my view is that their organizational skills are good in business and that they want people to do things the way that is "rational", "efficient", "effective"... thus they are often seen as good managers.
    Maybe the complete contrast is Ti (like used in aerospace engineering and such).

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

You should clarify what you mean by Fi, as it relates to economic value. There's a disconnect between your evaluation of Fi and what's been offered by others.

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    You should clarify what you mean by Fi, as it relates to economic value. There's a disconnect between your evaluation of Fi and what's been offered by others.
    Economic value as a personal trait that helps getting a job/is good to have in work situations.
    Something that is bankable, that someone would pay money for...
    You tell me, I couldn't find any.