• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does one's dominant cognitive function filter his auxiliary function?

Abbey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know if this is just my own, personal theory, or something real that I'm realizing (maybe falsely though).

Examples: I am an INFP. My dominant cognitive function is Fi and my auxiliary is Ne. I would say I use my personal values to refine my ideas.

An INFJ's dominant function is Ni and their auxiliary function is Fe. Their extraverted feeling (attempting to create harmony in a group) is a dependent on their introverted intuition (their gut feeling and vibe of a situation).

Does this make sense?
Is it the other way around
or does one's judging function filter their perceiving function?
Is this true for every type?

I'm trying to develop this idea, but I need input.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I believe one's dominant function is his Gatekeeper function. Meaning all other functions end up running their information through the dominant function before it is rooted in the psyche as a fact, belief, or value. The other perceiving or judging functions to the dominant function (i.e. Si,Se, and Ne for Ni) will also be used and paired with an analogous judging or perceiving function; the "Pair Theory". But that one's dominant function is usually consulted before the most important ideas, beliefs, or values become rooted.

Abbey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks that makes a lot of sense now.

What if their dominant function is Se or Si? It doesn't seem you can run things through real, tangible data, information and experiences and then end up with a different fact, belief or value.. or is that what you were saying about "Pair Theory"

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Thanks that makes a lot of sense now.

What if their dominant function is Se or Si? It doesn't seem you can run things through real, tangible data, information and experiences and then end up with a different fact, belief or value.. or is that what you were saying about "Pair Theory"

Yes you can. If you're an Si dom you'll compare things to your experience or tangible data stored meaningfully, and then make judgments or actions via Te or Fe because that perception.

If you're an Se dom you'll ask yourself if an Fi belief is realistic or pertains to the current context or the real world, as well as consulting stored fact.

Jung says the Se dom has his own morality, a world of heightened sensual enjoyment - that can be very refined in the intelligent/educated Se dom, all Se doms are not into midget wrestling for kicks and can instead use it to deeply enjoy complex music and art, gourmet food, elevated athletic or other physical practices - which he (or she) shares generously with friends as the bounty of life. That's where Keirsey got the idea that morally speaking SPs prize generosity above all else, aside from their personal freedom (and I'm going to have to say I tend to agree with Keirsey on that point, because at least it's somewhat based in Jung).

The Se type asks "is this real?" I do that a lot. I will really run other people's ethical systems (and even my own) through the mud if I can't collect existing statistical data that it's working already in some part of the world, or that it doesn't seem likely to work because of existing evidence.

Abbey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How does Ni do that?

mintleaf

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
I'd agree with the idea that a person's dominant function encourages the development of their other functions, and is a major factor in what that development looks like.

But while it's a primary relationship between functions, I don't think it's the only one. Each function interacts with the other three (or seven, depending on how you look at it). For example, what a person perceives via their tertiary function also informs their auxiliary function. So as an INFP, my tendency to compares past experiences with current experiences (Si) seems to have influence over the way I brainstorm (Ne).

Like you said, this might just be my personal theory. It's difficult to try to visualize something so conceptual, but in response to the question whether the relationship looks more like a linear sequence or something more complex -- a food chain vs. a food web -- I'd definitely say web.

Abbey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ahh yeah, I agree.

In my theory I was searching for a formula that would apply to every type and every person, but I don't think in dealing with personality types it can be that simple all the time.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
i wouldnt say filtering is the right word, but something like that. if the thing which aux tells you is against your view coming from dominant, dominant will dominate the viewpoint that aux gives. but this happens more with dom-inferior and aux-tert, because dom and aux are perceiving and rational function, so they dont clash as easily as two rational or two perceiving functions do. dom-aux is more often like "hey i perceived this and that, what rational conclusion i can make up from those perceptions", but the dominant point of view(let it be the perception portion of this axis or the rational portion) comes up stronger most of the time than aux does, but it naturally depends on the situation and the level of aux development. also dominant is the point of view from which the process starts from. if you look at INTP and ENTP for example, ENTPs often come up with some crazy ideas which they start working with Ti, while INTPs work more often by thinking what sort of ideas are needed and then starting to come up with ideas that can support the logical framework. naturally these also depend on the situation and INTPs do often come up with ideas first, but the ideas arent often so off the wall and sort of far away from the model of existing rational principles. like the ENTP might come up with an idea of coding an artificial intelligence and then starting to look how it can be done and maybe hitting the wall later and coming to the conclusion that it cant be done. INTP on the other hand might come to the idea of artificial intelligence after he has some idea on how to do it.

dpolaristar

MBTI Type
INTP
I'd say Introverts Dominant function filter their Auxiliary. While Extroverts it's supports it.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd say Introverts Dominant function filter their Auxiliary. While Extroverts it's supports it.

I need more time to process this, but my gut reaction is that there's something to what you've said here.