• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Ti problem solving process vs. the Te problem solving process.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, I have always preferred the "hands on" method of learning as well. I personally hate the classic way of learning that is taught in school, which is basically, "Read, memorize, and then recite. Then rinse and repeat". My method of preferred learning is to discuss things with another person and bounce ideas off of each other. My method of learning is much more interactive. When I try to read a book, I almost never finish the damn thing because I will read a little bit of it, and then my mind will just space out into the crab nebula or worse: I will get a book and then it will give me a new idea to read a new book and then I will abandon the current book for a new one. It's so fucking hard for me to finish things!
This is absolutely true for me too (as I am an ambivert)! But I can do pretty well reading, then talking to a person knowledgeable in the area who can thoroughly explain the concepts to me, then incorporating the concepts and applying them.
However, you say that you hate to do research, but then if you hate doing this, then how do you gather information? I mean, obviously you aren't going to go out and rediscover everything right? For example, if you won $2,000,000 today in the lottery and decided that you now want to learn about the stock market and learn to invest this money in hopes that you will grow your money how would you do this? Would you go to professionals in the industry and have them show you everything they know? Would you go to seminars? Would you just start reading a book on investing and then just do a trial and error method of investing to see what works and what doesn't? I'm really trying to understand the Ti process more vividly here.
I would do all of these. But I would use an interactive process of discussing my potential choices with others, and getting affirmation that they were good.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Ti does not want to solve problems. Te does.

Te: goals, results, getting things done. Again nothing to do with problem solving and intelligence in general. To solve problems involve critical thinking and understanding, Te thinks that its a waste of time. Anytime Te user hits a problem or obstacle or brick wall, you get a temper tantrum, which is very fun to watch.

Te: What needs to be done?
Form a plan
Get it done.

Whatever gets the workaholic machine going is Te.

goal--> plan--> work--> goal--> plan--> work

Last edited:

Doctorjuice

MBTI Type
INTP
Do you still disagree with it though?

Yeah, I think so. I mean, Ti may fail and it will try again, but I'm not going to count that as trial and error. I think the process of trial and error you are talking about is due to two functions. Experimentation to gain data, this is Pe, either Se or Ne. Then, if the person is using Ti, they will organize this perception according to logical principles, according to a framework, according to what seems accurate to them, etc. These judgment processes can take place either during the moment or after the fact. They may even, to an extent, take place beforehand.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Induction corresponds with empirical reasoning. Thus, induction corresponds with Te.

Deduction follows strict reasoning and logic. Ti corresponds with applying logical principles. Thus, deduction corresponds with Ti.

Seems pretty simple to me.
Maybe too simple... I don't think the correspondences are quite that neat.

As an outwardly directed function interested in real world results, Extroverted Thinking is going to have a greater affinity for whatever is tried and true, explicit and measurable, but that doesn't rule out the use of deductive reasoning. In fact deductive reasoning appeals to the linear nature of Te.

Both forms of reasoning are employed by Ti, (often in a circle) though the process is usually less explicit and formal.

Lenore Thomson offers the following example of problem-solving using Te vs Ti: packing a bag of groceries. Te, she says, would require the use of a ruler, calculating the volume of the container and that of each item purchased, and then calculating the optimal arrangement of those items in the container. (This is actually a kind of deductive reasoning, no?)
Whereas Ti allows us to approximate the best spatial arrangement without explicit calculation or any application of formal logic (presumably based on experience which allows us to build mental models of the way the world works).
Another example is parallel parking. When I learned to drive, my instructor had bits of black sticky tape on the back window, and reverse parking was an exercise in lining up various markers. Of course, this only enables the trainee to park that particular car - put them in another car and those methods are useless. I find learning anything using shortcuts like those singularly frustrating. In order to do anything, I need to grasp the principles - the things that are unchanging and applicable to every situation, and then tailor my approach to specific circumstances.

Like I said. Go outside. Do you have any ESTP or ISTP friends? Are they really getting all egghead-ish and recalling models and systems before they hop into something? At least in my case, life has been more of an experiment. And I can't recall very many things where I explicitly calculated and abstracted a situation before getting involved. I didn't think of the correct parameters and form before jumping on a skateboard for the first time. Or if I saw a cute girl at a party, I didn't use a deductive process in approaching her, like some PUA dork. I just got involved with the situation.. this is Se.

I think ISTPs respond to the "logic" of a situation in a way that is similar but more instinctive than is the case for INTPs, who are always somewhat removed, detached, analytical and thus more conscious of the model-building process.

Ti is deductive in the sense that is concerned with structural possibilities. Its understanding of the world is built up from first principles. If x, then y. If x and y, then z, etc, etc. This is a mathematical kind of reasoning, but it is also apparent in sports, which use an intuitive (in the sense of instinctive) grasp of physics to, in the case of a tennis or snooker player, say, strike a ball in exactly the right way to achieve a desired result. Numerous lightning-fast calculations must be performed in order to do this, though the player is only conscious of his ability to "read" the situation and respond appropriately. "Reading" relies on Se, in this context, but the response part of the equation is (arguably) Ti. This kind of activity necessitates the construction of a mental map which models the physical parameters of the situation. "Inductive logic" is not going to help the player respond creatively and flexibly - because it will limit him to responding in ways that he has done before. In a "flow" state, he is able to anticipate and respond creatively, because his mental model of the structural possibilities is complete. His body knows "if I do this, that will happen", not because he has practiced that particular move over and over and over (no move is repeated exactly the same way twice) but because he has a deep, practical understanding of the physics at play (even if he could never put into words or formulate equations of what he knows). We all employ Ti in this reflexive way, in the sense of "folk physics". In this sense, it is not a strictly experimental approach (what happens if I do x?) it is more informed than that, but the "information" informs the whole body, instructs the fluidity of movement. However, in the early stages of learning anything, a more experimental approach is going to be called for, since we can only construct our mental models, ultimately, based on observation and experience, especially when we are talking about the kinds of behaviours that become reflexive.

Doctorjuice

MBTI Type
INTP
[MENTION=5143]Salomé[/MENTION]

First off, let me just say that, as far as I can tell, I don't really disagree with anything you say in your last post and I like your illustrations of Ti. Now that that has been said:

So: Both functions involve themselves in both types of reasoning (deductive and inductive) at least some of the time. Do we agree on this?

Next:
Extroverted Thinking is going to have a greater affinity for whatever is tried and true, explicit and measurable, but that doesn't rule out the use of deductive reasoning. In fact deductive reasoning appeals to the linear nature of Te.

So, Te is going to have a greater affinity for empirical reasoning than Ti, which doesn't have such a great affinity for what is bolded. Do we agree on this?

At the same time, deductive reasoning is something that Te can put great faith in (if the reasoning is sound, if they understand it, etc.). Do we agree on this?

However, in the early stages of learning anything, a more experimental approach is going to be called for, since we can only construct our mental models, ultimately, based on observation and experience, especially when we are talking about the kinds of behaviours that become reflexive.

I argue, in the case of Ti-doms, that the process you describe in quotations is mostly use of Pe, and Ti, at most, to a small extent.

Ti is deductive in the sense that is concerned with structural possibilities. Its understanding of the world is built up from first principles.

I argue that Ti lends itself to deductive reasoning over empirical reasoning, and I think the part that I bolded here is very much related to that argument.

I also believe that Te has a greater affinity for empirical reasoning than deductive reasoning: Te has an affinity for objective data. Empirical reasoning is usually more involved with objective data than deductive reasoning, no? Thus, my conclusion follows.

It must follow from these things that you will generally see, at least to some degree, more use of empirical reasoning involved with Te than Ti, and more use of deductive reasoning involved with Ti than Te. Do we agree on this?

If so, how large of a degree/difference is this? Is it not very influential or is it significant?

I predict that if you put an INTP and ENTJ side by side, and give an argument based on empirical reasoning, the ENTJ will be more likely to be swayed by it. If the argument is based on deductive reasoning, the INTP will be more likely to be swayed by it (though to a smaller degree than the previous case, I think).

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Maybe too simple... I don't think the correspondences are quite that neat.

As an outwardly directed function interested in real world results, Extroverted Thinking is going to have a greater affinity for whatever is tried and true, explicit and measurable, but that doesn't rule out the use of deductive reasoning. In fact deductive reasoning appeals to the linear nature of Te.

Both forms of reasoning are employed by Ti, (often in a circle) though the process is usually less explicit and formal.

Lenore Thomson offers the following example of problem-solving using Te vs Ti: packing a bag of groceries. Te, she says, would require the use of a ruler, calculating the volume of the container and that of each item purchased, and then calculating the optimal arrangement of those items in the container. (This is actually a kind of deductive reasoning, no?)
Whereas Ti allows us to approximate the best spatial arrangement without explicit calculation or any application of formal logic (presumably based on experience which allows us to build mental models of the way the world works).
Another example is parallel parking. When I learned to drive, my instructor had bits of black sticky tape on the back window, and reverse parking was an exercise in lining up various markers. Of course, this only enables the trainee to park that particular car - put them in another car and those methods are useless. I find learning anything using shortcuts like those singularly frustrating. In order to do anything, I need to grasp the principles - the things that are unchanging and applicable to every situation, and then tailor my approach to specific circumstances.

Good examples. I know that I would find the Te approach to packing a bag incredibly tedious and am far more inclined to the Ti approach. With parallel parking, I kind of intuitively know that what works with one car may not work with another car. I know the principle behind it but I suck in the execution of it. Maybe that's weak sensing. I'd rather just avoid parallel parking altogether even if it means more time spent looking for a spot or parking farther away.

I particularly agree with the bolded statement. That is like the story of my life.

KDude

Yeah, I remember reading that in Thomson's book. It might be extreme, but I've seen the same process in other activities. Like an ESTJ friend setting up a garden. He measured everything out on paper, set up areas for certain kinds of plants, etc..

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
[MENTION=15773]greenfairy[/MENTION]

This is absolutely true for me too (as I am an ambivert)! But I can do pretty well reading, then talking to a person knowledgeable in the area who can thoroughly explain the concepts to me, then incorporating the concepts and applying them.

I can do well reading, but I prefer to read articles than books. The longer the literature for me, the larger the chance that I'm going to become distracted, and move on to something else. I also agree with consulting knowledgeable people in the field and bouncing ideas off of one another. lol, all along I was under the assumption that this was purely a Te thing.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Yeah, I think so. I mean, Ti may fail and it will try again, but I'm not going to count that as trial and error. I think the process of trial and error you are talking about is due to two functions. Experimentation to gain data, this is Pe, either Se or Ne. Then, if the person is using Ti, they will organize this perception according to logical principles, according to a framework, according to what seems accurate to them, etc. These judgment processes can take place either during the moment or after the fact. They may even, to an extent, take place beforehand.

I think that I do this, but I'd have to think about for a while.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I also agree with consulting knowledgeable people in the field and bouncing ideas off of one another. lol, all along I was under the assumption that this was purely a Te thing.

I don't think so, because Ti users use Ne if they are NT. Ne needs information, and other people's opinions are just viewed as information to be mentally digested and then assimilated. Ne is more interactive than Se. Se is like physical interaction and Ne is mental interaction. So NT's need to bounce ideas off other people to some extent. The really introverted INTP's would probably do more preliminary Ti work, and then read about what they agree with along with conflicting views in order to sort out what makes sense within their framework (and adjust their framework to reality), but ENTP's are much more reliant on outside thought in order to form their own.

Te using NT's evaluate mental concepts and create a system using Ni; so they use Te for informational purposes as static information rather than dynamic. Other people's knowledge and opinions are viewed as fact or fiction, true or false, and then their personal integration uses intuition. That's why Te dom/aux trusts "authoritative" sources, because they aren't in the business of judging credibility on the basis of evaluation of ideas alone. They'd prefer that to be done for them, so then they can have a trusted source of information to evaluate with Ni.

[MENTION=5143]Salomé[/MENTION], would you say then that Ti is conducive to thinking in pictures? I can clearly see the connection with spacial relations if INTP is the architect archetype, and deduction/Ti does imply a kind of structure; but I was associating a "thinking in pictures" quality more with Ni. I'm sure they both do this to an extent, but what would you say is the distinction?
Ti is deductive in the sense that is concerned with structural possibilities. Its understanding of the world is built up from first principles. If x, then y. If x and y, then z, etc, etc. This is a mathematical kind of reasoning, but it is also apparent in sports, which use an intuitive (in the sense of instinctive) grasp of physics to, in the case of a tennis or snooker player, say, strike a ball in exactly the right way to achieve a desired result. Numerous lightning-fast calculations must be performed in order to do this, though the player is only conscious of his ability to "read" the situation and respond appropriately. "Reading" relies on Se, in this context, but the response part of the equation is (arguably) Ti. This kind of activity necessitates the construction of a mental map which models the physical parameters of the situation. "Inductive logic" is not going to help the player respond creatively and flexibly - because it will limit him to responding in ways that he has done before. In a "flow" state, he is able to anticipate and respond creatively, because his mental model of the structural possibilities is complete. His body knows "if I do this, that will happen", not because he has practiced that particular move over and over and over (no move is repeated exactly the same way twice) but because he has a deep, practical understanding of the physics at play (even if he could never put into words or formulate equations of what he knows). We all employ Ti in this reflexive way, in the sense of "folk physics". In this sense, it is not a strictly experimental approach (what happens if I do x?) it is more informed than that, but the "information" informs the whole body, instructs the fluidity of movement. However, in the early stages of learning anything, a more experimental approach is going to be called for, since we can only construct our mental models, ultimately, based on observation and experience, especially when we are talking about the kinds of behaviours that become reflexive.

I think this paragraph is spot on; but what then would you say about people for whom Ti is not in their top four functions? What processes would be responsible for this, or alternatively, how would Ti integrate itself into the top functions? Might say an ESFP use Ni in a similar way, or use Ni to communicate Ti to the conscious functions? Or maybe Te would work with Ti somehow, as you mention the two sharing actions in some ways.

Usehername

On a mission
^I think you're confusing STJ with NTJ, [MENTION=15773]greenfairy[/MENTION].

Te users are definitely more superficial than Ti users, but NTJs don't care about authority.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
[MENTION=15773]greenfairy[/MENTION]

I know that I am a Ti user and I definitely think in terms of pictures

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^I think you're confusing STJ with NTJ, [MENTION=15773]greenfairy[/MENTION].

Te users are definitely more superficial than Ti users, but NTJs don't care about authority.
Well it's true I don't mean it in the sense of SJ respect for authority. I mean it in an intellectual sense. INTJ's have their own opinions, but it's more Ni modifying the Te information than the other way around; whereas in NTP's Ti modifies Ne information.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Pretty good video with Ti vs. Te. Regarding INFJ and INTJ, but interesting nonetheless.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I agree with this: when comparing the Ti<Ne and Ti<Se users, I believe that this is generally correct. When Ne<Ti users want to solve a problem they generally clearly define the problem, think about the multiple ways that they could solve the problem, abstract the problem, and finally begin testing methods to solve that problem. Se<Ti users don't really think about the problem as much and intellectualize it as much. Generally they just immediately take action and just start trying things to solve the problems. Problem solving for Ne<Ti users is more head type whereas problem solving for Se<Ti users is more gut type.

This doesn't make any damn sense. However, I think I know where you were going with this: Ti users care much more about understanding the problem solving process, and Te users are much more focused on solving the problem in general. They don't really care if they understand it, as long as the problem is solved efficiently and effectively.

Yeah, I agree with this. I mean, I will often go out into the external world to get ideas for problem solving. However, I don't just believe these external resources hook line and sinker like a Te user. Generally I will seek out multiple resources, and kind of formulate my own opinion and sort of combine these resources in my head, if that makes any sense, and ultimately come up with my own solution.

Sounds reasonable…

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
True dat. NTJ's only care about following their own rules.
Once again, not in a social context, but they rely on credible sources of information, as their N function is subjective and not their T function.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Once again, not in a social context, but they rely on credible sources of information, as their N function is subjective and not their T function.

I guess. The bottom line is they aren't like having an ISTJ boss at a company who breaks out the procedural manual every time you break a rule and tells you what you did was breaking ethical code number 556 section A or whatever. lol