User Tag List

123 Last

Society

Exclamation Typism vs. Racism

Let's give this a try:
    Jews are warm and energetic. They need approval from others to feel good about themselves. They are hurt by indifference and don't understand unkindness. They are very giving people, who get a lot of their personal satisfaction from the happiness of others. They want to be appreciated for who they are, and what they give. They're very sensitive to others, and freely give practical care. Jews are such caring individuals, that they sometimes have a hard time seeing or accepting a difficult truth about someone they care about.

Doesn't quite work, does it? not for my own ethnicity (Jewish), not for any race... And yet it's perfectly reasonable for an MBTI type. Why?

What are you talking about? Every Jew is like that.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

1) Because MBTI types are about your personality- warm, energetic, giving, sensitive, caring are words to describe a personality, not words to describe a race. People in the same race act and think differently even though they may have similar habits based off on tradition, upbringing or history (stereotypes).

2) You can drawn a lot of conclusions about people based off of how they prefer different cognitive functions. Actions come from thoughts, thoughts from cognitive preference. Therefore, you can determine actions people will take based off of how they prefer to think about themselves and the world.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    1) Because MBTI types are about your personality- warm, energetic, giving, sensitive, caring are words to describe a personality, not words to describe a race. People in the same race act and think differently even though they may have similar habits based off on tradition, upbringing or history (stereotypes).

2) You can drawn a lot of conclusions about people based off of how they prefer different cognitive functions. Actions come from thoughts, thoughts from cognitive preference. Therefore, you can determine actions people will take based off of how they prefer to think about themselves and the world.
    But actions can also be influenced by external factors and the environmental pressures of a persons surroundings. Not to mention the inner workings of a psyche can be changed by any other number of internal realisations.

For example if a person becomes aware of a habit of their actions, they may become increasingly vigilant against such habits, to the point they eliminate them and create new ones.

Functions can result in behaviour, but it is difficult to discern where cognition starts and other influences end.

The point Mane raises* here is a good one to consider as it concerns the spreading of general traits over large bodies of people in an assumption that if a person is of X catagorisation then they must have Z traits. Because a large portion of X catagorisation usually possess Z traits according to subjective experiences.

*Ive since been informed mane is a sly, beer-bellied harlot, and didnt intend to make such a point at all.
    Last edited by Cellmold; 03-08-2013 at 04:08 AM.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Society

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    spreading of general traits over large bodies of people in an assumption that if a person is of X catagorisation then they must have Z traits.
    ...except that with typology, a person is required to have Z traits to qualify for X categorization in the first place - when the person doesn't, we call that a mistyping.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    ...except that with typology, a person is required to have Z traits to qualify for X categorization in the first place - when the person doesn't, we call that a mistyping.
    I call it a misrepresentation of unproven data.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

I see it as something I can learn and apply to understand someone (and myself) transiently in a situation. It implies it would be erroneous to apply types/personalities universally or, even generally, as that would carry an assumption, whereas perceiving how things are in a given period of time carries no assumptions; although I suppose it may still carry personal beliefs about how I'm perceiving someone's behavior and state of mind. I think it's more appropriate however, because as long as I am open to letting someone correct any of my possible misperceptions, the idea that an accurate and true understanding can be reached between people is then possible, whereas assumptions do not allow for correction.

What?
    I really like cats and food.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

You're not too smart ... for a Jew.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/sx

Is anybody else in the mood for Jew jokes now?
    Great men are like eagles, and build their nest on some lofty solitude.

Schopenhauer