User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Se and "bling"

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Maybe Se is the bling function in that I do kind of see it as looking to have an effect on the outside. But personally I feel like I use it in the way Bamboo described.
    So do I. Introverted judgment is a shield in a way - and the quality of experience is more self-referential. But at the same time, I'm not immune of what's going on, what's opening doors for people, what's trendy, what could get me laid more, etc. Whatever, y'know. It's like a radio show I can't turn off. I just choose to reject a lot of it. Unlike an INTP who's truly careless.

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    So do I. Introverted judgment is a shield in a way - and the quality of experience is more self-referential. But at the same time, I'm not immune of what's going on, what's opening doors for people, what's trendy, what could get me laid more, etc. Whatever, y'know. I just choose to reject a lot of it. Unlike an INTP who's truly careless.
    All of that seems more of a tool to me. Aware of it, and you choose to use some of it if it helps to achieve what you yourself have decided is worth your time. What you value, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    All of that seems more of a tool to me. Aware of it, and you choose to use some of it if it helps to achieve what you yourself have decided is worth your time. What you value, I guess.
    Yeah, that's true too.

But I think I (personally) am getting more and more like young INJs, in the way some are really ascetic. I reject a lot more than I used to.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Some semblance of truth.
    I was a baller back in the day.

MBTI
    XXFP

Making an impact works. It's an effective tool. The question is, are you trying to get the mandarin chicken because you want to be seen having the mandarin chicken, because you're afraid of not having the mandarin chicken, or do you really enjoy the mandarin chicken?

That's the key. It's not what you eat, it's how you chew it.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    Making an impact works. It's an effective tool. The question is, are you trying to get the mandarin chicken because you want to be seen having the mandarin chicken, because you're afraid of not having the mandarin chicken, or do you really enjoy the mandarin chicken?
    There's probably some tortured soul out there asking themselves just that.

MBTI
    XXFP

There's probably some tortured soul out there asking themselves just that.
    There's a lot of posers are out there with that half-assed Sweet and Sour trying to make their way to the top of the chicken game, but you have to be real about who you are and what you want. Maybe everyone is telling you to go Chinese and you just want a burger and fries.

Be what you are. You are what you eat.

Be what you are. You are what you eat.
    Sure, but I can remember when that wasn't easy. And I think it's much harder for Se extroverts to step away.

I remember being one of those posers myself. I wasn't "bling", but I remember borrowing clothes during middle/highschool, just to "pass off" as something respectable. I think if one is Si or Ne though, these sort of messages don't create the same conflict in oneself. The Si type is driven by more deep seated rather than current impressions, while Ne is thinking of.. something else (heh).

Actually, I'm reminded that Thomson touched on some of this in her book.

"You can always tell from the ESPs in the crowd exactly what society currently regards as admirable, stylish, fascinating, outrageous, or exciting. These types will have so adapted themselves to generalized assumptions that they physically embody them.

Many ESPs seem to be striving for this - for the highest pitch of concrete actualization. They become the experiential standard by which others' image and attitude are measured..."

Anyways. When you talk about Se as something subjective and for your enjoyment, you're just emphasizing an introverted perspective. It's only half the story. There is a wider definition of Se "floating" out there in a way.. the zeitgeist.. it goes beyond the quality of your food or how good you slept last night. In some subcultures, this "bling" shit is floating around and it might be the dominant or most admired "norm". And if there are ESPs in that crowd, they're the ones expressing it better than anyone else.

And it goes beyond "hip hop" bling". It's been in the past too. Look at Elvis. Dude wore a CAPE. With Rhinestones. You think he did that just for his personal pleasure?

That's the key. It's not what you eat, it's how you chew it.
    I think one of the key questions here is whether there is money in mandarin chicken.

MBTI
    XXFP

Sure, but I can remember when that wasn't easy. And I think it's much harder for Se extroverts to step away.

Anyways. When you talk about Se as something subjective and for your enjoyment, you're just emphasizing an introverted perspective. It's only half the story. There is a wider definition of Se "floating" out there in a way.. the zeitgeist.. it goes beyond the quality of your food or how good you slept last night. In some subcultures, this "bling" shit is floating around and it might be the dominant or most admired "norm". And if there are ESPs in that crowd, they're the ones expressing it better than anyone else.

And it goes beyond "hip hop" bling". It's been in the past too. Look at Elvis. Dude wore a CAPE. With Rhinestones. You think he did that just for his personal pleasure?
    Oh I understand. There's always something that people strive to attain, there is a "standard" to rise to. And people go through this socialization to get whatever it is that the culture says go for...in the Chinese Chicken Game, it's the mandarin. If you're broke you settle for the Sweet and Sour. It's about having what the culture says you should have. And people get caught up in that and don't realize they really wanted Wendy's all along.

But these things feed into each other. If you have what the culture says you should have, that in itself can be used to make an impact to help you get more of something - either something you want or something the culture says you should want.

After a while it becomes a question of authenticity.