• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Anyone care to weigh in on Ne vs NiSe at work?

Aesthete

Gone
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was however referring to Fi itself. The act of only wanting to do that which I valued the most, the feeling of my mind determining what is most valued, the seamless way the values go up and down and how my mind moves from one object to another, skimming and stopping to only quickly evaluate its worth before moving on to the next. That was what I once thought everybody possessed. It is still strange to me.

I used to think most people would be like that, only that they possessed foolish values. Now I realize that it's mainly impulses at work in the moment and a lack of ideals.

Aesthete

Gone
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We should have a thread on the parenting of different MBTI types!:D

Aesthete

Gone
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This does not sound ENTP in the slightest. Not even a teeny bit, except maybe the income part...and that really pertains to E3's I think.

Also, I got okay marks- I considered a B to be a failure at that age.

Most of my marks are in the 90s right now.:D So, yeah, I'll reconsider her type.

Yes, a very similar feeling. For some people, success is happiness, but it isn't true happiness. It is like eating greasy fries or ramen for a week when you are hungry: you are full, and content, but you feel like you are missing something.

I understand that we need systems- but I wish we had alternative systems for people who think like me/us. Project based, or something to that effect. Something that would help us to our greatest potential. For me, memorizing facts and regurgitating them isn't the essence of my being.

It is about memorizing facts and extrapolating. I've created concepts my teachers consider remarkable, and nothing was regurgitated- merely backed up.

This is why I hate school and I try to do things in as creative a way as possible.

That's exactly it! Sure we need a system (or systems), but if you will have a system, please don't make it a stupid one.:)

I'm terrible with memorizing facts: I work with ideas which I can explore on my own, not objective details.

My main problem is that no matter how hard I try to get others to see my point of view - be it teachers or students - nothing ever gets done: it's like I have to explain a whole new library (of thought) to them. I stay silent most of the time, therefore, but I will criticize some times.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Most of my marks are in the 90s right now.:D So, yeah, I'll reconsider her type.

Gag, if you were my child I'd be happy with those marks.

That's exactly it! Sure we need a system (or systems), but if you will have a system, please don't make it a stupid one.:)

It might be whimsical, but never stupid! I do have Ti, remember?

I'm terrible with memorizing facts: I work with ideas which I can explore on my own, not objective details.

Interesting, given that INFPs have both Si and Te.

My main problem is that no matter how hard I try to get others to see my point of view - be it teachers or students - nothing ever gets done: it's like I have to explain a whole new library (of thought) to them. I stay silent most of the time, therefore, but I will criticize some times.

It's all about speaking their language. That is what I have found, at least. I tend to use black and white knowledge to explain things, and ask a series of yes or no questions to get them to understand my logic. Such as:

Is the sky blue?

Yes

Is blue pretty?

Yes.

If the sky is blue, and blue is pretty, the sky must be pretty in your eyes.

iNtrovert

MBTI Type
Ni
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
From that I would assume INFJ. I don't know about other INFPs but in regards to the above thought process: it's so natural to me and it is so deeply woven in my mind that part of me still cannot believe that most others don't do that, even though it has been years since I discovered the MBTI. After I wrote the above post my brain wondered whether I worded the above correct, as it decided to believe that everyone thinks like that and that it wasn't specific enough. It's a stubborn little bugger at times :D

If you are sure you're not an SFJ or ENFJ then I would suggest you study Fe. Fe adapts itself to the values of the surrounding environment, the person's values gradually change and causes themselves to measure themselves by how far away from the standard they are. Fi cares only about its own values and measures you only by how far your actions and lifestyle are from what you value. However I am not 100% certain on how NiFe interacts and how much Ni will cause a deviation from the above description (which is more Fe-dom IMO.)

If I know anything I know i'm introverted. ( I know introversion is not shyness but how you lose and gain energy ect) I'm pretty sure im not an ISFJ. I'd agree with studying Fe/ NiFe. I'm pretty much ruling out Fi now tho. It just doesn't seem to fit.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ok yea I don't do that lol. The fact that it's even possible is making me uncomfortable. I more or less have a plan for everything I want to accomplish . I go down the line and mentally check things off but I rarely deviate from my premeditated course of action.If I am forced to it's hard for me to cope with. Reevaluating on a greater of less than scale like that doesn't describe me . I set a goal and break that goal into tasks. Once that task is finished I move on to the next one until I reach my goal. I you were to ask me what I am doing to day and any given moment I can pretty much tell you. I schedule free time when the most important things are done and I'm content with my progress . In that space I'll pick and choose what I feel like doing but that's about it lol.

Yeah, you are definitely an IxxJ.

If this were my life, I'd kill myself.

Standuble

If I know anything I know i'm introverted. ( I know introversion is not shyness but how you lose and gain energy ect) I'm pretty sure im not an ISFJ. I'd agree with studying Fe/ NiFe. I'm pretty much ruling out Fi now tho. It just doesn't seem to fit.

That's fair enough. I personally think you are an INFJ myself. INFPs like to make their posts which jumps all around the place (in my case I like to ramble on and there is no guarantee any conclusion I make (if I make one) will be relevant to what I have written.) Yours seemed more focused.

iNtrovert

MBTI Type
Ni
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That's fair enough. I personally think you are an INFJ myself. INFPs like to make their posts which jumps all around the place (in my case I like to ramble on and there is no guarantee any conclusion I make (if I make one) will be relevant to what I have written.) Yours seemed more focused.

lol That's so funny. I feel like my posts are wayyyyy too long. I try to go back and edit myself but I have a hard time taking things out because I feel like everything I said has meaning. As If to take out a word here or there makes it less accurate. I'm always self-conscious about that so at least now I know my novels make sense. :D

Standuble

lol That's so funny. I feel like my posts are wayyyyy too long. I try to go back and edit myself but I have a hard time taking things out because I feel like everything I said has meaning. As If to take out a word here or there makes it less accurate. I'm always self-conscious about that so at least now I know my novels make sense. :D

Heh my writing for the most part lacks meaning or at least does not convey the meaning and imagery to the extent I like. I need to keep going back and changing it. Its like translating it into another language, the words as an object do not contain the meaning, they only serve as tools and sadly my collection of tools are usually not cut out for the task.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
How I experience NeSi is probably far less efficient than the ENPs but a big component is of Si. If you're introverted you will have lightbulb moments but they are experienced internally which I assume is adding to the confusion. But the biggest difference is that NeSi will store whole objects in the mind (e.g. a table or chair) and then the Ne will link the two together by a shared trait - four legs. It can also allow patterns to be identified but the mind will reference these stored real objects and confirm that they have shared traits which supports the pattern as factually accurate. It works with wholes and the dominant function will break down the whole object if it can so traits can be identified.

NiSe works the other way, a large number of tiny pieces come in and the Ni will form a pattern from them which is then stored and can then later be referenced. The external judging function helps the Ni in determining whether the patterns have any basis in reality. NiSe builds wholes from the millions of tiny fragments.

tl;dr version: NiSe is a bottom-up system whilst NeSi is a top-down system.

Apparently I'm an NeSi user but I do alot of both. Not sure which one fits better in this case.

NiSe users tend to be "earthy" and crude in their humor while NeSi users don't.
NiSe see 1 large big picture life goal they plan on accomplishing that is often quite practical and doable. NeSi don't. (Ni user will say "I want to start an orphanage" while an Ne user might say, "donate for world peace") lmao...
NiSe enjoy struggle and force of will. NeSi don't.
NiSe users enjoy power games in relationship. NeSi do not.

What does "objectively intuiting external stimuli" even mean? Cuz I don't know.

If you have Ni, you will gain subjective intuitions that spontaneously pop up in your head like, "omg, jesus was actually black!" This is why Ni doms are probably the most paranoid, and a lot of them are into conspiracy theories. They're getting the information but they're not really sure where its coming from.

Ne users will gain intuitions based on direct experience in an environment in that moment. Its there. From what I understand they're objective even though Ne users in my opinion tend to be the most narcissistic and full of themsleves because these "unseen" things can often be pulled straight out of their ass. This is why there's a clear difference when ESTP's walk what they talk, in comparison to ENTP's who just tell everyone how fantastic they are at everything with no real clear proof.

Ni users are most likely to plan their own funerals, while Ne users are most likely to get frustrated because they want to do 8 things at once but don't know where to start. Ni is much more focused and singular than Ne is.

Without a doubt an Ne/Si user going by this. I can fully relate to all of the NeSi stuff except for the narcissistic part.

I see NiSe users "having answers out of nowhere." Most of the ones I know consider themselves to be psychic.

My NeSi recognizes past recognized patterns and applies them, consciously or unconsciously, to "appear psychic." I think that NiSe is a lot more unconscious than NeSi, so NiSe users say things like:

"I just know"

"I can't explain why, but I just know"

"I'm having trouble putting it into words"

"I have a bad feeling"

"It isn't irrational, it is true. I know it is true, I'm always right."

NeSi:

"Let's talk about the similarities between beavers and clouds. Beavers float in water and clouds float in air. So for fish beavers are like clouds."

"Well you see, x relates to y because I remember that y is equal to a, b and c and x is equal to d, e, and f. So they are related, sort of...and this is why my view of the alphabet is a juxtaposed one."

"The badger did it! I noticed that despite the fact that he was in a wheelchair, he had scuff marks on his shoes." (Taken from The Mentalist...sort of).

Again, I see myself doing alot of both.

Maybe I just have strong Ni and Ne.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Again, I see myself doing alot of both.

Maybe I just have strong Ni and Ne.

Maybe...though for myself, I find my understanding/use of Ni to be incredibly low. I also find that most people tend to be extremely strongly one or the other. Have you taken a functions test?

iNtrovert

MBTI Type
Ni
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, you are definitely an IxxJ.

If this were my life, I'd kill myself.

Actually lol'd @ this. I think i'd feel the same way if i thought like a p ..... ok maybe not suicide but i'd at least have to be committed.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It’s my experience that Ni isn’t adept at examining different (foreign) components unless it’s made very clear how those components fit into the larger framework- the value of isolating the components and going on tangents about them just isn’t clear to us until we see where they fit into the bigger scheme. If it isn’t made clear, we have a hard time understanding the relevance.

On the other hand, Ne isn’t as adept at seeing larger tangents as they’re referred to. I may describe an iceberg- it’ll be clear to me that there’s a whole connected framework that isn’t showing below the surface, it’s just a given to me, yet the description will be taken in by a Ne’er in isolation as if there’s nothing further to investigate. They’ll bounce to an altogether different tangent, they’ll consider that ‘investigating it further’ and get confused about why I’m frustrated - though from my point of view it’s basically like having someone get puzzled over why I’d want to finish my own sentences.

uumlau has written the best description I’ve seen thus far, in a different thread:

That's a good description of the Ne approach. The Ni approach isn't revelation so much as immediately perceiving a truth as being obvious. To debate the truth feels as absurd to Ni as debating whether a red apple is red. "The apple is red, isn't it obvious? Why are we even debating whether the apple is red?" Ne instead notes that the apple isn't completely red, and points out that its insides are white, with black things, and even the skin has speckles of various non-red colors.

What's going on is that each side sees different things when looking at the same problem. Using the red apple example, the Ni context might be answering the question, "What apple should I get for John?" and the answer is "That red apple." There are several unstated aspects to this context. Ni knows what kinds of apples John likes (Gala apples, though Ni can't always seem to remember the name). Right here and now (Se), there is a limited set of apples on display, some of which are red, and others are green, yellow, etc. Each of these apples is of a particular variety (Granny Smith, Red Delicious, Fiji, Gala, etc.). So Ni picks "That Red apple" (which also happens to be a Gala apple) for John, because Ni knows that's the best choice of the bunch, saying, "I think I'll get this red apple for John. He likes those red apples." ["those red apples" meaning the particular Gala kind of apple, for which Ni doesn't remember the word.]

At this point, Ne replies, "That apple isn't exactly red."

:huh:

:doh:

So, Ne will bring in and fire off new details like a machine gun. And Ni will (likely) reject them all if it isn’t clear how they're relevant.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Maybe...though for myself, I find my understanding/use of Ni to be incredibly low. I also find that most people tend to be extremely strongly one or the other. Have you taken a functions test?

I've taken several functions tests. Usually Ne is somewhat higher than Ni but I have taken one that put Ni higher than Ne. You can't always go by tests.

iNtrovert

MBTI Type
Ni
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Even when discussing the possibility of being a P...

well when you say it like that .....lol

I didn't understand the thought process of a P when I was considering it. Now after hearing the evaluation and decision process of P type if I lived like that i'd go nuts lol.
See I thought that just because I go through cycles of procrastinate on occasion and my room isn't always the cleanest P might be a possibility. What I learned from this thread is a P is reevaluating what is important on a greater than or less than scale and making the decision not to do something. I on the other hand when I am overwhelmed I still feel like getting my work done is the most important thing. I just can't bring myself to do it because I don't have the mental capacity to. When I procrastinate the whole time I'm thinking "you should be doing your work" . I start self loathing. I get more stressed out and more mentally depleted. Then I procrastinate more because I'm stressed out about procrastinating lol. I get locked into a cycle. I feel like a P wouldn't do that as much. They have made the decision based on what is important to them. They have reevaluated the principal so they probably wouldn't experience the anxiety that comes with acting against a principal . I on the other hand I would be acting against my principal causing me great stress and anxiety. That's why I said I'd need to be committed lol.

Do I have that right or is my understanding of P still off?

Standuble

well when you say it like that .....lol

I didn't understand the thought process of a P when I was considering it. Now after hearing the evaluation and decision process of P type if I lived like that i'd go nuts lol.
See I thought that just because I go through cycles of procrastinate on occasion and my room isn't always the cleanest P might be a possibility. What I learned from this thread is a P is reevaluating what is important on a greater than or less than scale and making the decision not to do something. I on the other hand when I am overwhelmed I still feel like getting my work done is the most important thing. I just can't bring myself to do it because I don't have the mental capacity to. When I procrastinate the whole time I'm thinking "you should be doing your work" . I start self loathing. I get more stressed out and more mentally depleted. Then I procrastinate more because I'm stressed out about procrastinating lol. I get locked into a cycle. I feel like a P wouldn't do that as much. They have made the decision based on what is important to them. They have reevaluated the principal so they probably wouldn't experience the anxiety that comes with acting against a principal . I on the other hand I would be acting against my principal causing me great stress and anxiety. That's why I said I'd need to be committed lol.

Do I have that right or is my understanding of P still off?

Well some stress does occur. (In my case at least) there are a few values which are valued so extremely high they are in the stratosphere and when they find their way up there they don't come down (at least easily.) They become your greatest desires if you will, that which you want realised or protected. These are the values you want the outside world to match (mine is the desire to either see or make humanity into an interplanetary or interstellar space-faring species which would give them the resources to eventually build their own future, perhaps free of unnecessary war or poverty) and you want them to materialise (even if you do not believe they cannot.) There are presumably a million different ways of reaching this point so normally chilling out and working through the bugs is stress free as it is defined as "advancement." Such values often dwarf other ones and the dwarfed values are usually easier to reach or sustain however in the end you are spending your time pursuing these lesser values rather than working towards the greater values and this can be stressful.

Some procrastination is good, some is bad and realising you are wasting your time on the bad procrastination will either make you frustrated (or experience a similar emotion) or would inspire you to work towards one of your goals (however you will probably soon stop if you do not think it is the best possible way.)

tl;dr version: INFPs would feel conscious and/or stressed about procrastination if the procrastination is not valued or does not actually serve what they value in some way.

iNtrovert

MBTI Type
Ni
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well some stress does occur. (In my case at least) there are a few values which are valued so extremely high they are in the stratosphere and when they find their way up there they don't come down (at least easily.) They become your greatest desires if you will, that which you want realised or protected. These are the values you want the outside world to match (mine is the desire to either see or make humanity into an interplanetary or interstellar space-faring species which would give them the resources to eventually build their own future, perhaps free of unnecessary war or poverty) and you want them to materialise (even if you do not believe they cannot.) There are presumably a million different ways of reaching this point so normally chilling out and working through the bugs is stress free as it is defined as "advancement." Such values often dwarf other ones and the dwarfed values are usually easier to reach or sustain however in the end you are spending your time pursuing these lesser values rather than working towards the greater values and this can be stressful.

Some procrastination is good, some is bad and realising you are wasting your time on the bad procrastination will either make you frustrated (or experience a similar emotion) or would inspire you to work towards one of your goals (however you will probably soon stop if you do not think it is the best possible way.)

tl;dr version: INFPs would feel conscious and/or stressed about procrastination if the procrastination is not valued or does not actually serve what they value in some way.

Yea see I never feel its good to procrastinate and when I do it it's hard for me to stop. So the realization that its bad never happens because to m it's always been a negative thing in my mind. I have to be jolted out of it.