• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is THE BIGGER PICTURE?

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I'm curious because it occurs to me, (not for the first time), that the size and breadth of a perspective is often subject to the flow of information an individual is surrounded by and engages with.

If I were an individual living a nomadic life outside of accepted civilisation, (oh to dream :wubbie:), and away from modern media outlets and information giants such as the internet...or loudmouths with louder opinions, it could be that to those people living with those information sources, I would be the one without the bigger picture.

After all, I would have no access or knowledge of more global concerns, or even universal musings and discoveries.

I acknowledge that in relation to MBTI S and N, (or rather the functions of Si/Se and Ne/Ni), are largely concerned with the processing and filtering of information that an individual receives. So to this end I understand the notion that regardless of the information flow, (that is the modern information flow rather than the intangible one that concerns all humans), intuitives living that nomadic life might be assumed to develop some thoughts towards their reality and the deeper implications of their nature most likely of a spiritual or intellectual bent.

Whereas sensors would be more apt to build systems that benefit them in the immediacy of their environment and help maintain a sense of structural soundness that is befitting of the senses, based on the assumption that what they see is indeed what is there.

Both of these are of course generalisations and ones I am not particularly in agreement with. However if I were to take that sensing type and place him/her in a world of information that he/she could access to their hearts content, it could be that the person who was transplanted could be more objectively viewed as having a 'bigger picture' perspective, than the intuitive scrawling obscure symbols on a sheeps bum.

Then again, I am doing the intuitive a disservice as intuition is more than just rampant abstraction, it can also be applied very concretely in new methods and inventions, although this doesn't mean that only intuitive types would be the ones to benefit from this, we are all sensors and intuitives, just to a different extent.

There is of course the issue of willful ignorance or lack of interest, but since this is something anyone of any type could fall prey to, I see no reason to mention it beyond this sentence.

But ultimately the term seems to be stripped of it's meaning the more I hear it. Since it is just a term usually applied to subjective perspectives, (within reason of course as an asteroid wiping out life on the planet is clearly a larger threat than one which destroys a single house), this means that there is a hierarchy of what constitutes a 'bigger picture' and usually this involves the agreement and demonstration that; YES indeed this is a bigger perspective.

In more abstract terms however the usage of the phrase is largely without footing, if one person were to consider multiple universes and another only a single one, is the individual with more universes looking at a bigger picture merely because he/she is throwing more into it?

But since both of those will be concerned with ideas the judgement is purely up for grabs, with each person stepping their view ever larger in order to compete, perhaps unknowingly, with the hierarchy of perspectives.

What is the point of all this? Well I am sure this will disappoint and downright annoy some people, but the point is that for the most part the term is interchangeable with 'my opinion' and until it ceases to be abused in this way, especially on typology forums, I will no longer give it any due consideration or worth when contemplating the clash of S vs N.

Thoughts?

W

WALMART

Sometimes I wonder if I'm paranoid about my suspicions of inaccurate type descriptions. Stuff like this reaffirms the faith I have in my perceptions.

I don't know, man.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Sometimes I wonder if I'm paranoid about my suspicions of inaccurate type descriptions. Stuff like this reaffirms the faith I have in my perceptions.

I don't know, man.

Always trust perception, until of course it become unreliable, then throw it in the bin. In any case i'm in a similar position when it comes to type descriptions.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ya I myself wonder about whether certain type profiles are accurate enough for me to place myself under them, or which TypoC member makes the best authority to listen from for typing advice or guidance. I guess we can never be completely sure.

If I'm going to rate how reliable these things are though, and it would rank as follows for me from best to worst: Enneagram, MBTI, DSMV, Archetypes, Instincts, ActualMe, Zodiac, Oldham, Big Five, Socionics, and other non-important systems I'm forgetting. (Oldham, Big Five and Socionics I believe have little to no measurable value).

I myself have struggled with deciding upon wing 4 or 6 and So or Sp after Sx, but the other stuff I've been fairly certain about lately. The little fine details though can be very tricky.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Socionics makes it way too confusing with their distorted view of function interplay - and there doesn't seem to be anything objective about MBTI type correlating well with it.

Take someone like Einstein for example: they might call him a socionics ILE, but an MBTI INTP as well - but that just doesn't seem right to me.

I don't know though, maybe I'm just not getting something, like AA is struggling with.

W

WALMART

Socionics makes it way too confusing with their distorted view of function interplay - and there doesn't seem to be anything objective about MBTI type correlating well with it.

Take someone like Einstein for example: they might call him a socionics ILE, but an MBTI INTP as well - but that just doesn't seem right to me.

I don't know though, maybe I'm just not getting something, like AA is struggling with.

It works so well :) I'll explain what I've gathered so far in vent, some time - though I admit, I am far from knowledgeable.

I

Infinite Bubble

In my opinion Socionics is currently the most comprehensive system, and it is the one which goes with what Jung was the saying the most, too. I also have to admit I am very interested in its VI theory.