User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    xxTP

Default iNtuition in a state of barbarism?

I often wondered how does this work?

i.e. you were born a serf in medieval Europe.

Or in a village in Somalia/Afghanistan/Pakistan etc. today.

If you were an iNtuitive, would you simply be less effective at surviving, i.e. essentially a slightly slower less "on the ball" version of the people around you?

Or would iNtuition simply not develop in people in those situations at all?

Btw I am using iNtution in the Jungian sense, i.e. ABSTRACT THINKING. I am not using it in the sense of "intuition" as used day-to-day, which means something different, i.e. ability to read people/read a situation instinctively, which Sensors are often better at the iNtuitives anyway, and which would be very useful in the aforementioned situations.

So my point is, 1.) does iNtution in the sense of ABSTRACT THINKING only emerge in relatively wealthy comfortable surrounding? And 2.) Does this mean that N's just don't exist in barbaric times/countries, or that they do exist, but are just seen as dopey/slow.

Well, I'm sure monasteries and colleges had a fair share of them (probably a lot of manager types too though). Hildegard of Bingen was definitely a medieval intuitive. That's more the contemplative type. Maybe the Ne doms were hopeless dreamers, tragic figures like Don Quixote (I know he's fictional, and technically, not even medieval, but still). And if we go back to actual barbaric times, I'm sure some shaman types might have been. Especially the types who experimented with remedies or better agricultural methods. A lot of that must have been very forward thinking, and not just accidental advancements.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Shaman, story tellers, leaders, craftsmen, mothers, hunters, etc. Surfs still intuited, they just did it whilst at work.

Sure, Se wouldn't be as developed, but we end up doing alright.

Is this what you mean?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

i think of the oracle at delphi and things like that as well, perhaps cassandra the oracle who was fated to tell the future but never be believed, etc I think there were people who such legends were based off of and had a mythos built around themselves
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    i think of the oracle at delphi and things like that as well, perhaps cassandra the oracle who was fated to tell the future but never be believed, etc I think there were people who such legends were based off of and had a mythos built around themselves
    I think they were just high on the volcanic fissures in the area.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

INxx would generally be much more prudent than ESxx types when interacting with the world (they still are in today's society), so what they may lose in terms of quick real world effectiveness, they gain from avoiding danger.

ENxx are generally not really that bad at dealing with "dangerous" or challenging real life situations, they usually just suck at dealing with details, which may even be less important in that kind of environment (not always ofc).
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

I imagine that they laboured in the fields but their minds still worked. The repetition of doing a menial task over and over would become more muscle memory so the intuitives could allow their minds to wander and the more it wandered the more their N grew. If they were not allowed to talk they would think and then discuss later, if they could talk they probably discussed folk tales and sought to understand what was, what wasn't and why.

History is full of elaborate mythologies, ideas, schools of thought, fascination with the stars, Moon and Sun and the utilisation of symbolism to represent their conceptions of the various forms of the divine. It was where all the great religions were born. Plus there are all the great construction projects of history which I don't think S types can take all the credit for. All this came from a population which was kept at near stagnant growth rate for millennia due to high death rates (both infant mortality and smaller life expectancy.)

I won't say N's were rarer in the past (if they were then it was due to a low quality of life due to less physical aptitude) but I am willing to consider that any iNtuition was more honed in the past for those who possessed it. Much of reality was not known so there was more room in letting your thoughts wander because there was a large number of topics ripe for pure speculation.

MBTI
    xxTP

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Shaman, story tellers, leaders, craftsmen, mothers, hunters, etc. Surfs still intuited, they just did it whilst at work.

Sure, Se wouldn't be as developed, but we end up doing alright.

Is this what you mean?

It's a disadvantage though.

Despite my aristocratic air, in my life I've done a lot of menial jobs, before I studied.

And however hard I tried, I sucked at them compared to Sensing types, because I just couldn't see details as well as they can. Literally. They just paid my way to then study, nothing more.

If that was my destiny for life - as it would be for a Medieval peasant or a person in a 3rd world village today - yeah I might adapt to survive, like I have done, but I'd still be at a disadvantage compared to a natural.

Another example, I play football (soccer), and while I am good, my inability to focus fully on it means I will never be as consistent as others or be able to go to the "next level" in such a field. Because I can be very good at the basics but I have not got the focus to learn truly great new skills that would make me stand out.

Again, if my life destiny depended on such "int he moment" skills, either I would have to develop my sensing functions fully - i.e. NOT DEVELOP AS AN N TYPE - or be at a disadvantage. Just an average chump. Which would suck.

There's some exmaple of monks and architects etc. but this is just a tiny, tiny proportion of those societies, for 99% of commoners they would/will never get that chance.

So either, IMO, they don't develope as N's, or they live lives scraping by as average chumps, while a Sensor of equivalent intelligence will rise above them*.

*In include "equivalent" intelligence, because obviously, while a more intelligent S can rise above a less intelligent N in a field of abstract thinking, so a more intelligent N can rise above a less intelligent S in a field of concrete thinking - but let's assume a like for like comparison.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

People adapt.

Some typologists maintain that modern cultures in many countries are in fact even more sensory than in the past, i'm not sure I agree altogether but it's an interesting idea.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    xxTP

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    People adapt.
    Of course. My question is regarding precisely that, the nature of this adaption.

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Some typologists maintain that modern cultures in many countries are in fact even more sensory than in the past, i'm not sure I agree altogether but it's an interesting idea.
    What typologists, what countries, what period of 'the past'?