User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 81

  1. #31
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    Yeah, makes sense.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

  2. #32
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    INxx would generally be much more prudent than ESxx types when interacting with the world (they still are in today's society), so what they may lose in terms of quick real world effectiveness, they gain from avoiding danger.
    You are contrasting introversion v extroversion - this is unrelated to intuition.
    Kagan (I think?) suggested that introversion evolved as a response to colder climates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    I often wondered how does this work?

    i.e. you were born a serf in medieval Europe.

    Or in a village in Somalia/Afghanistan/Pakistan etc. today.

    If you were an iNtuitive, would you simply be less effective at surviving, i.e. essentially a slightly slower less "on the ball" version of the people around you?

    Or would iNtuition simply not develop in people in those situations at all?
    Glossing over for a moment your potentially inflammatory ideas about what constitutes a "barbaric" society... I think we have all the evidence we need to answer this question purely based on the distribution of type today. Clearly, through much of human history favouring Sensing has been advantageous to survival and breeding success. But since intuition is wired into the human neocortex (our brains have not changed significantly since the Pleistocene) it's nonsensical to suggest it wouldn't appear at all.
    Intuition is principally about predictive intelligence, spotting patterns, predicting outcomes, linking ideas. So clearly it offers advantages when it comes to strategising, categorising, tool invention etc. I.e. those things which enhance the success of the species or the group, sometimes over that of the individual.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  3. #33
    Senior Member INTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    7,823

    Default

    i think intuition would be very useful in primitives, especially in hunter gatherers. the ability to intuitively perceive your surroundings(Ne) or intuitively form conclusions about sense perceptions(Ni) is essential in hunting(i think INTJs would do best if thrown in the wilderness with only the information on how to survive). ENTPs on the other hand would probably be best at figuring out stuff like how to build traps(and where to place them), more efficient spears, how to ambush prey etc. but luckily there is a good hunting method for sensors aswell:





    also jung thought that primitive psychology was less differentiated than ours today, resulting in sensing and intuition being more tied together, intuitions being more concretistic and mixing up with the sense perceptions.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

    Read

  4. #34
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    i think INTJs would do best if thrown in the wilderness with only the information on how to survive
    Doubtful. Unless they had minions to command. INTJs almost certainly invented hierarchical society.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  5. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    MBTI
    xxTP
    Posts
    1,261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    It depends, if you're a peasant with a tendency towards wondering about the deeper causes of why your harvest changes, or who becomes good at observing weather patterns etc., you might very well develop an advantage through other means (different, peculiar agricultural methods, foresight, etc.).
    I'm not sure about this.

    Knowing about farming requires concrete knowledge and understanding.

    A sensor does not just live in the moment and not think about things. They would surely be equally, if not more, effective at the practical and effective running of a farm, and knowing and understanding in depth about how to make it work better.

    This is why SJ's and SP's, at least IMO, are just as likely to be able to run a business as an N. Because you need "big picture", true, but this can be easily built from concrete knowledge, by an intelligent person.

    For me the N would be more naturally to think about unrealistic and impractical ideas. which is a great advantage in an academic world, but not in such a world as I described.

  6. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    MBTI
    xxTP
    Posts
    1,261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    i think intuition would be very useful in primitives, especially in hunter gatherers. the ability to intuitively perceive your surroundings(Ne) or intuitively form conclusions about sense perceptions(Ni) is essential in hunting
    Sounds like Se to me

    http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/Co...ed-Sensing.cfm

    Extraverted Sensing occurs when we become aware of what is in the physical world in rich detail.

    We notice relevant facts and occurrences in a sea of data and experiences, learning all the facts we can about the immediate context or area of focus and what goes on in that context.

    The process involves instantly reading cues to see how far we can go in a situation and still get the impact we want or respond to the situation with presence.
    The highlighted is the kind "intuition", not iNtuition, which it sounds like you're refering to.

  7. #37
    Senior Member INTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    7,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Doubtful. Unless they had minions to command. INTJs almost certainly invented hierarchical society.
    why?

    i mean that Se surely would help, even tho its inferior and Ni represses part of it, Ni only represses the parts that are not relevant. this would cause better concentration to sensory input on essentials in tracking the pray and Ni would obviously be the best at drawing conclusions on things like what direction the pray most likely took if you lost it tracks for a moment. also Te would be much more suitable on this than Ti would, because its faster and well, you only need to use simple thinking based on past experiences on this sort of stuff. F would obviously be useless as dom/aux, but that tert Fi striving to gain for self(as opposed to others) would become handy.

    i think ENTPs would be pretty much on par with INTJs, except that INTJ might be more patient and not make so much rash decisions or take risks on things like when to start chasing fast, which obviously has a risk of you tiring yourself out and not being able to continue tiring down the pray in constant phase.

    also i think many INTJs suffer from add(and/or try to find stimulation from fast phased computer games) for this exact reason that they are missing this sort of hands on doing(to which they developed in evolution). also i discussed about this few times with my INTJ friend(who doesent care to know what INTJ is) and we both came to the conclusion that his temperament fits better living in the woods as people lived in neanderthal times.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

    Read

  8. #38
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Just watch Mad Max. You'll see the types play out their primitive roles. Humongous is ENFJ, Tina Turner ENTJ, Max is ISTP, the Feral Kid ISFP, the helicopter dude is ENTP... Just about everyone else dies.

  9. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    MBTI
    xxTP
    Posts
    1,261

    Default

    @Salomé - I screwed up the quote marks, but see below!

    [QUOTE=Salomé;2041187]

    Glossing over for a moment your potentially inflammatory ideas about what constitutes a "barbaric" society...
    /Fe

    Sorry I could not resist that given past discussion of whether INTP's have Fe as 4th function

    Inflammatory =/= undesirable.

    I think we have all the evidence we need to answer this question purely based on the distribution of type today. Clearly, through much of human history favouring Sensing has been advantageous to survival and breeding success. But since intuition is wired into the human neocortex (our brains have not changed significantly since the Pleistocene) it's nonsensical to suggest it wouldn't appear at all.
    Intuition is principally about predictive intelligence, spotting patterns, predicting outcomes, linking ideas. So clearly it offers advantages when it comes to strategising, categorising, tool invention etc. I.e. those things which enhance the success of the species or the group, sometimes over that of the individual.
    I have no argument with any of this. I never said iNtution would not exist, as you say, if we accept the Cognitive Fucntions model as the framework of our discussion, that would be a stupid thing to say.

    I said, how would iNtutivies - i.e. dom or aux - develop, if at all.

  10. #40
    Senior Member INTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    7,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    Sounds like Se to me

    http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/Co...ed-Sensing.cfm



    The highlighted is the kind "intuition", not iNtuition, which it sounds like you're refering to.
    Im referring to this:

    "Although this(introverted) intuition may receive its impetus from outer objects, it is never arrested by the external possibilities, but stays with that factor which the outer object releases within."

    "Not the strongest sensation, in the physiological sense, obtains the crucial value, but any sensation whatsoever whose value happens to become considerably enhanced by reason of the (extraverted)intuitive's unconscious attitude.

    Just as extraverted sensation strives to reach the highest pitch of actuality, because only thus can the appearance of a complete life be created, so (extraverted)intuition tries to encompass the greatest possibilities, since only through the awareness of possibilities is intuition fully satisfied. Intuition seeks to discover possibilities in the objective situation"

    -Jung

    and i dont understand why you would think im referring to things like 'can i jump over that puddle without wetting my feet'..
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

    Read

Similar Threads

  1. Video: Very In Depth Description of Introverted Intuition
    By highlander in forum Typology Videos and RSS Feeds
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-11-2016, 01:10 PM
  2. In this part of the United States, principals still legally hit students
    By Olm the Water King in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 10-23-2015, 02:40 PM
  3. Possible Shutdown of Government in United States - Effects on Troops
    By Vie in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 181
    Last Post: 04-22-2011, 04:44 PM
  4. What if most of the Sensors here are really iNtuitives in disguise?
    By LunaLuminosity in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 02-11-2011, 02:41 PM
  5. Fictional examples of sensing and intuition in action
    By proteanmix in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-30-2010, 04:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO