User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 18

  1. #1
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Divination and Gnosticism

    Gnosticism is secret knowledge without evidence or reason.

    And mbti is secret knowledge of the personality not based on evidence or reason. The personality is divined without evidence or reason, in the same way the future is divined in astrology without evidence or reason.

    So mbti and astrology are forms of divination and gnosticism.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will
    Posts
    5,927

    Default

    Enlightenment is the magic that gives us self-mastery.
    This chain of action begins by looking within ourselves.
    Within we find our own true selves or our personalities.
    So it is in a sense a form of divination and Gnosticism.

  3. #3
    Senior Member UniqueMixture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp
    Posts
    3,038

    Default

    dog have legs, turtles have legs, therefore dogs are turtles
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

  4. #4
    your resident asshole
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    dog have legs, turtles have legs, therefore dogs are turtles
    I understand you are trying to create a simpler argument in attempts to disprove Victor's, but the two arguments are not parallels of one another.

    Victor's argument:
    A = B
    C = B
    Therefore A = C

    Your argument:
    If A, then B
    If C, then B
    Therefore A = C

    Notice the difference?

  5. #5
    Senior Member UniqueMixture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp
    Posts
    3,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    I understand you are trying to create a simpler argument in attempts to disprove Victor's, but the two arguments are not parallels of one another.

    Victor's argument:
    A = B
    C = B
    Therefore A = C

    Your argument:
    If A, then B
    If C, then B
    Therefore A = C

    Notice the difference?
    shush. it's clear he equivocates unreasonably
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

  6. #6
    your resident asshole
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    shush. it's clear he equivocates unreasonably
    Just try not to fight fires with fires.

  7. #7
    Senior Member UniqueMixture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp
    Posts
    3,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    Just try not to fight fires with fires.
    sometimes you have to slap someone in the face with your cock to get their attention
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

  8. #8
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,474

    Default

    Gnostic truths can't be communicated either. So, no MBTI =/= Gnosticism.

  9. #9
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524
    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Enlightenment is the magic that gives us self-mastery.
    This chain of action begins by looking within ourselves.
    Within we find our own true selves or our personalities.
    So it is in a sense a form of divination and Gnosticism.
    The Scottish and English Enlightenment of the 17th and 18th centuries replaced magic, in the forms of divination and gnosticism, with evidence and reason.

    Look my dear Wizard, when you are ill, do you want medicine based on the magic of divination and gnosticism, or do you want medicine based on evidence?

  10. #10
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Gnosticism isn't merely secret knowledge. It's secret knowledge handed down through mystical revelation, then doled out piecemeal through command structures and initiation practices. There is no true secret knowledge for the "individual". Just one individual on top. The rest of the individuals only are told that there is a "secret" if they keep pursuing it. It traces back to Pythagorean cults. MBTI explains all of it's workings up front. There's no magical "secret" or "veil" to break through to understand it in depth. And unlike secret societies, you can take it or leave it at any time. You never get in too deep.

    I understand you want to demonize MBTI, but there are better ways of going about that.

Similar Threads

  1. The Banned and The Damned
    By Haight in forum Official Decrees
    Replies: 331
    Last Post: 11-30-2017, 07:12 PM
  2. Replies: 120
    Last Post: 08-01-2017, 10:32 PM
  3. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10-26-2012, 03:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO