User Tag List

123 Last

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Default Inferior Fe vs. Fi

So...how do you tell the difference between inferior Fe overreaction and (dom/aux) Fi sensitivity?
    Last edited by greenfairy; 02-12-2013 at 06:45 PM.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'm guessing that inferior Fe externalizes the feelings more when hurt. The inferior Fe is more likely to cry, yell, and scream at others or do physical things to vent anger like slam doors. The inferior Fi ruminates more on the inside about how they were hurt and how no one understands them and how worthless they are.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Fe would be attached to some percieved, outside sense of respect. If there's disrespect towards them, the retaliation could be easily apparent, but I think the "meltdown" can be subtle sometimes too. Like, for example, if an INTP's ideas or competence were criticized in a public forum or a journal. They might not show anything on their face, but maybe they'll just fester and spend time writing letters or internet replies against their opponents. Soon enough, they're spending hours on it this bullshit, pacing around and imagining different things these assholes are saying. And maybe they lose their usual composure and write with emotionally charged or scathing language. Se might not address it that way. Especially younger Se types, who will do something direct and dish out violence instead.

OTOH, Fe can be an everyday thing that isn't so bad. Sometimes if I know a certain atmosphere or someone I respect "expects" me to be on my best behavior, I kind of choose my approach more carefully. It gets frustrating though if I can't be natural or I'm second guessing myself. I have to get away before I start resenting it. "Superior Fe" probably remains more consistent with their behavior and relationships. I don't understand the "stamina" there. There's no resentment. It's open door policy.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

What it seems like, is that the inferior will be what the feelings of hurt will come through, and then the reaction will be its "shadow" (the opposite attitude), which could be the "Demonic Personality", or the "Crow's Nest" (right/left brain alternative) depending on the version of theory. According to Jung, functions work in sort of "loops" between attitudes, anyway, starting from the primary attitude, flowing to the opposite, and then returning to the primary. (i.e. going back and forth between "subject" and "object").
    I've experienced what @KDude described, and it was interpreted as "Fi", and you can see it that way, but it really stemmed from inferior Fe.

Inferior Fi (such as the people I've dealt with, including one claiming to be another type), seems to be insulted by people seen as crossing some line connected with an internal value (such as invading their "turf" or something), and you can't tell they're upset, but then they begin snarking at you, and finally unleash Fe-like attacks against your standing in the group. ("destructive" archetype).
    This is what I keep pointing out about figures like Hitler. Everyone looks at him, and sees him "using" all this "Fe", but it's how it's coming across that is a clue as to where it falls.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas
    Likes SearchingforPeace, Punderstorm liked this post

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

@KDude: Omg, this describes me perfectly. Which was only the indirect point of the thread, but still. (I mean, the question came up because a lot of what I read about what might upset a sensitive Fi dominant person might also apply to inferior Fe, but I do want to know the answer independently of how it might apply to me.)

That's very interesting, @Eric B.

Also I was really talking about inferior Fe versus dominant/auxiliary Fi, not inferior Fi. I should clarify that in the OP now. Just because, as I said above, Fi doms are all sensitive and stuff, and inferior Fe is sensitive, so there could be some confusion. Like sensitivity in relationships is one of the marks of inferior Fe, but I can imagine IXFP's also being sensitive in relationships- so I guess it goes to what you said, about what it is they're sensitive about.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Oh dear, not this again. *hides*

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

So basically, you're comparing ITP to FP.
    Dom. or aux Fi will be "mature" and inward focused, while inferior Fe will be very "vulnerable" and outward focused. I don't really know enough FP's to compare with dom./aux. but I'm familiar with tertiary Fi. (ITJ).
    Like my parents insisting I'm supposed to draw sel-worth from within, but to me, it was ludicrous. You need to be accepted by others to feel good about yourself, yet that was very difficult, and I didn't have the personality to command more acceptance. But my parents insisted you can't rely on others, you have to believe in you. None of us knew about type, so it was just attributed to me just being too "afraid of life".
    The tertiary is itself also immature, but still of more use to the ego than the inferior. So any Fi descriptions of "screw everyone else, just focus on what's important to me" are reflecting a TJ's perspective of the function, based on how it plays out within their ego.
    Dom. or aux will hold on to important values, but these are usually flexible enough to try to accomodate or work with others. FP's are both "role-informative" and "motive focused". So they are sensitive to to others, but it is internally based. Like an example commonly given is "Is how I'm relating to the other person true to who I am/what I believe?" I could never reason like that most of the time; it was all based on fear of some reaction from the other person (externally based). The FP might have a fear of rejection as well, but it's probably more from lack of "congruence", like "if they're rejecting me, is it because I'm doing something wrong"?
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas
    Likes SearchingforPeace, Punderstorm liked this post

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Wondered this myself. I'm with an INFP and his feelings are very much internalized and he would sacrifice himself before hurting someone else. Whoever said self-blame is common, thats right on. I see him as an emotional person but not very sensitive. He is very mature about people and dealing with them. I see myself the opposite way. I dont have much day to day "emotions" like he does but when something upsets me it's harder for me to shake off and I don't internalize it. In fact, it's difficult to do that. I have to do something about it.

Inferior Fe when apparent is childlike in emotion and usually shows itself (when negative) under major stress. So IP inferior Fe (negative) isn't going to be shown until its too late. The positive is only shown when trust is proven. Dom/aux Fi is always apparent and much more mature.

But when positive Fe is shown it can look very much like Fi Dom/aux behavior. However, it is reserved for special few. Dom Fi is much more generous.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Here's my impression as a Fi aux living with an INTP dad and ISTP brother -

The difference is my ISTP little brother getting pissed at me because I wasn't subtle enough responding to him when he told me something about him smoking pot that afternoon, while our mom was nearby, versus ENFP me getting pissed at him because he insults my character for not paying enough attention to modifying my responses to keep him safe from external danger (which, in my mind, he brought upon himself by raising the subject in the room right next to her, and by smoking in the first place).

It is external dynamic Fe versus internal static Fi. He's upset because I'm not very good at attending to the external interpersonal factors, even though I'm willingly engaging in interpersonal exchange. I'm upset because he's placing responsibility on me for walking an ethical line that I don't particularly understand, and then insulting my character for what I see as behavior - two very different things. He felt like I was purposefully endangering him - not caring enough about the outside dynamic factors. I felt like he put himself out there and then tried to blame me for any negative consequences - not caring enough about the internal static factors.

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy
    Just because, as I said above, Fi doms are all sensitive and stuff, and inferior Fe is sensitive, so there could be some confusion.
    Right. Fi dom/aux are sensitive about their "character", their "goodness", their emotions as a means of internal processing, what things mean to themselves. Fi doms are especially concerned about their right to have their own ideas and experiences and for those to be accepted as valid. Fe inf are sensitive about how you behave around them, what you say around/about them, whether you're being respectful to them, whether you're giving attention to them. They have a surprising underlying "radar" that can flare up and accuse the other person of intentionally trying to subvert them. But I've also seen it flare up in situations where groups of people really need help - I've seen my INTP dad be a gracious, welcoming, and effusive host during his own brother's funeral, and I've seen my ISTP brother be a social support pillar for his friends when someone had gone missing. The inferior function often seems quite competent when push comes to shove, just very erratic and unpredictable. Logically so - it's the conscious mind's final line of defense.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    2 so/sx

This is a wonderful post! I enjoyed reading it so much, I had to reply and say this is the post I have enjoyed THE MOST in this thread and in general.

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    character for what I see as behavior - two very different things.
    Please tell me more how you saw the situation. I'm not sure I really understand some of the implications. I would love to hear more!

Keep writing. It's like you touched on some really deep stuff here