User Tag List

12311 Last

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Default How NOT to do typology

I am sure we're all quite familiar with many of the absurd inferences people draw about a certain type. Common examples of such preposterous claims include the following.

Most of such claims imply that certain superficial behaviors are evidence that a person does or does not have a particular type.

1. I am a certain type therefore I have this or that quality. E.G, I am an INTJ and I am therefore very good at planning.
    2. I am naturally good at X, therefore I am this or that type. E.G, I am always very imaginative, so I must be an N.
    3. This person's line of reasoning is deplorable, so he cannot be a Thinking type.
    4. This person is insensitive, chauvinistic, arrogant, repressive, so definitely not a Feeling type.
    5. I am an Intuitive type, I've known my friend all of my life, he is too smart to be a sensor.
    6. No way this guy is an intuitive type, he is too practical and pragmatic.
    7. He takes control of his life, he thinks ahead, so he must be a J.
    8. He is very judgmental and direct in his assessments of human behavior, J is for judging, right? So there you go, he is a judging type.
    9. He is good at memorization, so he is definitely a Sensor.
    10. This person is boring, so not an SP.

These basic statements merely represent a limited number of strategies that could be employed in spotting typological absurdities, but as a general principle, you can look for hasty generalizations, assertions that are almost completely divorced from the original Jungian theory, excessive personalization of type and so on.

What I ask you to do this in thread is the following, cite absurd typological statements without making any reference to their authors. The purpose of this thread is to shed light on how "folk typology" arises and hopefully motivate our members to think about this topic with greater care and precision. Individuals who uttered absurdities are more than welcome to make an appearance in this thread to defend their position or clarify their line of reasoning, however, it is not up to us decide if their identity is to be revealed. To avoid early polemics and accusations of trolling, I will not cite any statements that were made on this forum (at least not in the OP), I'll leave that to you!

When you cite the preposterous typological statement that was made on this forum, be sure to explicate your rationale for deeming it to be non-sensical and remain open to any possible objections that may arise.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/sx

1. X does not like public display of affections, hence X is a T.
    2. X is good in social situations, must be an E.
    Great men are like eagles, and build their nest on some lofty solitude.

Schopenhauer

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Thanks, but please remember, I asked you to cite actual statements that were posted on this forum.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

"There is not 1% sensor brain in me."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    Thanks, but please remember, I asked you to cite actual statements that were posted on this forum.
    My bad, sorry. I'm certain I've seen such statements around somewhere, but I won't be able to locate them.
    Great men are like eagles, and build their nest on some lofty solitude.

Schopenhauer

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

This statement was actually made by one of our forum members roughly a month ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum member;
    yes, I definitely would come to the same conclusion if I were born a Mayan. I abso-fucking-lutely would
    you're clearly not an Fi user .

Glycerine

You will find an abundance of such claims in the "What's My Type" sub-forum.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Great, let's move some of them here. Then we can make a video-compilation of the most preposterous of the claims that litter this forum and post it on YouTube.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I do recall a member recently saying that the biggest difference that there is is between S and N because Ss can't see the big picture and have no vision... I'm going to be polite and not point out who it was who said it, but I definitely remember it because I thought "here we go again!" when they said it
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

SW mentioned a "video compilation", so just to contribute to that and the preposterour claims that could potentially be made, here is one of me claiming to be one of 4 stereotypically 'hyper-rational' types, those being INTP, ISTP, ENTP, and INTJ; and you can say that outrageous claim I just made is a prime example of how not to do Typology!