• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How NOT to do typology

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Whoever posted that hasn't seen the last 5 years of several female NTs losing their cool in this forum.
The phenomenon of NTs losing their cool is hardly limited to or even best exemplified by the women of those types. Of course, losing your cool implies you had it to begin with.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The phenomenon of NTs losing their cool is hardly limited to or even best exemplified by the women of those types. Of course, losing your cool implies you had it to begin with.
:yes:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Samples from the thread that brought me to this forum in the first place, entitled "What do you think of ESTJs?"

This very post is an example of what annoys me about ESTJs. Their lack of ability to think in abstract terms. They need concrete specific details to extract meaning. By doing this the ESTJ view is extremely limited: They see everything through a window rather than dome. Time and time again NTs will try to show why (in many cases) it is more advantageous to see things from a higher level of abstraction. Yet all to often the ESTJ proves incapable of doing so.

I've starting to believe that ESTJs are inredeemable and ignorant, with visionless agendas of what they believe is stability, a stability that can only be achieved through emulating what there fathers before them have done, but in doing so they close themselves off to so much...

To the ESTJs getting upset by all the negative feedback -- instead of calling us mean and telling us that we should be nice because our perceptions of ESTJs are obviously wrong, maybe you should wonder why SO MANY PEOPLE have this exact same opinion. So many people have such bad experiences with ESTJs because SO MANY ESTJs are like this. If you read through all of this and you don't believe you display any of these characteristics, you're either not seeing yourself OR you are the exception to the rule when it comes to your type.

Can't even begin with the first two, but with the third one: It was a hate thread, and thus the posts were hate posts. Negative confirmation bias.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
For many, it's easier to regurgitate stereotypes.
preguntas2.bmp

Jaguar

The phenomenon of NTs losing their cool is hardly limited to or even best exemplified by the women of those types.

A male originally made the comment to a female - greenfairy. Now do you understand why I worded it that way?

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A male originally made the comment to a female - greenfairy. Now do you understand why I worded it that way?
Sorry, no. But it seemed straightforward on first reading. What did I miss?

Samples from the thread that brought me to this forum in the first place, entitled "What do you think of ESTJs?"

Can't even begin with the first two, but with the third one: It was a hate thread, and thus the posts were hate posts. Negative confirmation bias.
Oh but they are so entertaining to read. Don't worry - I'm not joining the ESTJ-hate. I'm equally amused reading similar stuff about my own type. I think it is the blatant typism and illogic of it all.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Why Within? What's your problem with the great and powerful ESTJ overlords? You must just resent them because they have higher positions in the heirarchy of greatness!

Gosh, all of you INTJs are the same, so dang egocentric, thinking you're better than everyone, getting titles like the alimighty Mastermind and such, and wait, what are the ESTJs, the Supervisors - that's nice, pretty cool, amazingly unique, I guess...

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2214&page=18&p=2127184&viewfull=1#post2127184

Jaguar

Sorry, no. But it seemed straightforward on first reading. What did I miss?

If that's the case, then I'll simply repost this:

"The phenomenon of NTs losing their cool is hardly limited to or even best exemplified by the women of those types"

I never claimed or even intimated NTs losing their cool was limited to women.
I never claimed or even intimated NTs who lose their cool are best exemplified by women.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If that's the case, then I'll simply repost this:

"The phenomenon of NTs losing their cool is hardly limited to or even best exemplified by the women of those types"

I never claimed or even intimated NTs losing their cool was limited to women.
I never claimed or even intimated NTs who lose their cool are best exemplified by women.
And I'll repost this:

Whoever posted that hasn't seen the last 5 years of several female NTs losing their cool in this forum.
If the effect you describe is not something best exemplified by these women NTs, to what purpose did you single them out? Was similar behavior not observed in men NTs, or in women of other types? Was it particularly egregious, amusing, or otherwise noteworthy in women NTs? The remark was never clear in the original context.

Jaguar

If the effect you describe is not something best exemplified by these women NTs, to what purpose did you single them out? Was similar behavior not observed in men NTs, or in women of other types? Was it particularly egregious, amusing, or otherwise noteworthy in women NTs? The remark was never clear in the original context.

I didn't single them out. TGO claimed that if greenfairy were an NT, she would have been able to handle his comment without flying off the handle.

It's here:
http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...122&page=452&p=2126343&viewfull=1#post2126343

My post was made to refute TGO's claim, and nothing more.
Clearly, you misunderstood my reason for posting.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I didn't single them out. TGO claimed that if greenfairy were an NT, she would have been able to handle his comment without flying off the handle.

It's here:
http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...122&page=452&p=2126343&viewfull=1#post2126343

My post was made to refute TGO's claim, and nothing more.
Clearly, you misunderstood my reason for posting.
Clearly I did. If your goal was simply to show that NTs can fly off the handle like anyone else, why mention specifically women? Do women NTs fly off the handle more than men, or less than men, or in a way that is notably different? I'm just curious as to why you mentioned gender at all, since it didn't seem relevant to the original exchange between TGO and Greenfairy.

(If it seems I am picking on you too much about this, it is only because I often feel I misunderstand similar comments, and your answers to my questions may help me do better.)

Jaguar

I'm just curious as to why you mentioned gender at all, since it didn't seem relevant to the original exchange between TGO and Greenfairy.

If you can't see the relevance of my mentioning 'female NTs' when TGO made a claim about NTs while talking to a female, there's nothing more I can say to get you to understand.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you can't see the relevance of my mentioning 'female NTs' when TGO made a claim about NTs while talking to a female, there's nothing more I can say to get you to understand.
Specifying female NTs is relevant only if you see the behavior of female NTs as significantly different from that of male NTs. Since the focus here seemed on NT behavior in general (e.g. they can lose their cool, too, whether male or female) the distinction seemed irrelevant. In other words, adding the word "female" was not necessary for the point you were trying to make, and suggested another dimension to your comment that wasn't really there.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Oh but they are so entertaining to read. Don't worry - I'm not joining the ESTJ-hate. I'm equally amused reading similar stuff about my own type. I think it is the blatant typism and illogic of it all.

It's like picking a satisfying scab, which exists in peoples heads and doesn't belong to yourself.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION]: My impression upon reading the comments is that [MENTION=195]Jaguar[/MENTION] was reading TGO's comment as somehow tying my losing my cool to being female, and using that to refute my supposed NT status. I.e. females lose their cool more often than males, and such behavior means you can't be an NT.

Nonsense, of course, whatever TGO's line of thinking was. I hadn't even interpreted it that way until it was brought up; to be honest I wondered the same thing, but I think this is the answer.

And this is in addition to him losing his cool first, as an ENTP, in reaction to something I said.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
re ESTJ hate:
When first learning about typology I projected all sorts of negative things onto ESTJ's, but that changed quickly when I actually got to know some of them. I think people should get to know at least one healthy and nice person of each type before thinking anything negative about the type.

And really, there's probably nothing a whole type has in common anyway, other than really abstract modes of cognitive functioning.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION]: My impression upon reading the comments is that [MENTION=195]Jaguar[/MENTION] was reading TGO's comment as somehow tying my losing my cool to being female, and using that to refute my supposed NT status. I.e. females lose their cool more often than males, and such behavior means you can't be an NT.
If TGO was implying you lose your cool because you are female, and therefore cannot be an NT, this is very close to saying that women can't be NTs. (Yes, there are fewer female NTs than male, but that is true of all T types). Or, did he mean that female NTs lose their cool more than males? Which assertion was the five years of female NT behavior referenced by Jaguar supposed to support (or contradict)?

TGO's remark didn't make sense when I first read it, and it still doesn't. I thought I understood Jaguar, but from his replies, I obviously do not. I think I will just give up on this one.

re ESTJ hate:
When first learning about typology I projected all sorts of negative things onto ESTJ's, but that changed quickly when I actually got to know some of them. I think people should get to know at least one healthy and nice person of each type before thinking anything negative about the type.

And really, there's probably nothing a whole type has in common anyway, other than really abstract modes of cognitive functioning.
It is equally unrealistic to see only positive in any type. There certainly are negative aspects to ESTJs, the key is to remember that this is true of every type.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It is equally unrealistic to see only positive in any type. There certainly are negative aspects to ESTJs, the key is to remember that this is true of every type.
Right; it's just potentialities for behavior and traits based on underlying patterns, like Enneagram or astrology. People can do opposite things for the same sorts of reasons, based on common psychological dispositions. I'm probably not explaining it well, but it does make sense in my head.

I've learned this from my time on here too. While types tend to produce common behaviors and traits, it doesn't really work the other way around.

Jaguar

My impression upon reading the comments is that @Jaguar was reading TGO's comment as somehow tying my losing my cool to being female, and using that to refute my supposed NT status. I.e. females lose their cool more often than males, and such behavior means you can't be an NT.

Nonsense, of course, whatever TGO's line of thinking was. I hadn't even interpreted it that way until it was brought up; to be honest I wondered the same thing, but I think this is the answer.

You win the prize.

S

Society

Right; it's just potentialities for behavior and traits based on underlying patterns, like Enneagram or astrology. People can do opposite things for the same sorts of reasons, based on common psychological dispositions. I'm probably not explaining it well, but it does make sense in my head.

I've learned this from my time on here too. While types tend to produce common behaviors and traits, it doesn't really work the other way around.

there is a gray area to be walked here - pushing it to either extremes will break the system:

if every pattern and behavior can be linked to any type, how do you state that "someone is not type X"? everyone is every type.
if you eliminate natural human behaviors from various types, a type is going to be an empty silhouette with no person to apply to.