• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How NOT to do typology

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
"However, this one might just top them all."
eh? how is my post ridiculous, just cause i wouldnt bother mentioning how i arrived to my conclusions? it would be too much work and irrelevant.

sure doing so leaves possibility of misinterpreting it but i couldnt bother writing an essay for every one piece of my thouhs! >=[
i used to do so and i guess it either left people more convinced or simply too long for them to bear reading my impressive posts..

Again, thank you for your invaluable contribution to my thread, I will address some of your comments later.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Vladimir: What’s this all about? Seems we’ve been here for days, waiting.

Estragon: I don’t really know. I think it’s about some system designed to…um…

Vladimir: Cat got your tongue? Think! Stop letting your emotions muck everything up, you idiot.

Estragon: There’s no reason to insult! I was just getting to the-

Vladimir: Point?! To the point?!

(Pause)
Vladimir takes a swig from a small bottle in his breast pocket.
V: I can wait…
(Pause)

Estragon: Well, I was about to say, it seems like a system that just leads you to…

Vladimir: Yes? Yes? What?!? Spit it out, man!

(Estragon is beginning to show signs of annoyance)
Estragon: It just leads you back… to yourself.

Vladimir (derisive tone): Oh is that it! I see it now! It’s a map that is actually a circle, or a moebius strip! No matter where you go it leads you right back to this spot. IS that it? Is that your profound insight? Can I go to sleep now? With your permission, Socrates?

Estragon: Well, it’s just that it makes you feel good about what you already think about yourself. It gives you reason to stay where you are, even though you think it’s taking you someplace new.

Vladimir: So what is it a theory of?

Estragon: I guess it’s a theory… about nothing. It’s a ship in a round harbor. Bon voyage! Welcome home! It takes you on a prescribed course, then tells you what a wonderful reader of maps you are, how well you navigate, how much you are like the Great Sailors of old…that sort of thing.

Vladimir: So it coddles you?

Estragon: Basically, yes.

Vladimir: Interesting. I’ll have to contemplate that, despite your ham-fisted and irrational delivery. (takes another swig, offers bottle to E.)

Both recite:
Now I sit
Before fate
My personality to contemplate
A paper loop
A shot of brandy
Now it makes sense!
A Perfect Circle of Tom Foolery
From ego-syntonic typology!

Both collapse in laughter.

Fin.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Vladimir: What’s this all about? Seems we’ve been here for days, waiting.

Estragon: I don’t really know. I think it’s about some system designed to…um…

Vladimir: Cat got your tongue? Think! Stop letting your emotions muck everything up, you idiot.

Estragon: There’s no reason to insult! I was just getting to the-

Vladimir: Point?! To the point?!

(Pause)
Vladimir takes a swig from a small bottle in his breast pocket.
V: I can wait…
(Pause)

Estragon: Well, I was about to say, it seems like a system that just leads you to…

Vladimir: Yes? Yes? What?!? Spit it out, man!

(Estragon is beginning to show signs of annoyance)
Estragon: It just leads you back… to yourself.

Vladimir (derisive tone): Oh is that it! I see it now! It’s a map that is actually a circle, or a moebius strip! No matter where you go it leads you right back to this spot. IS that it? Is that your profound insight? Can I go to sleep now? With your permission, Socrates?

Estragon: Well, it’s just that it makes you feel good about what you already think about yourself. It gives you reason to stay where you are, even though you think it’s taking you someplace new.

Vladimir: So what is it a theory of?

Estragon: I guess it’s a theory… about nothing. It’s a ship in a round harbor. Bon voyage! Welcome home! It takes you on a prescribed course, then tells you what a wonderful reader of maps you are, how well you navigate, how much you are like the Great Sailors of old…that sort of thing.

Vladimir: So it coddles you?

Estragon: Basically, yes.

Vladimir: Interesting. I’ll have to contemplate that, despite your ham-fisted and irrational delivery. (takes another swig, offers bottle to E.)

Both recite:
Now I sit
Before fate
My personality to contemplate
A paper loop
A shot of brandy
Now it makes sense!
A Perfect Circle of Tom Foolery
From ego-syntonic typology!

Both collapse in laughter.

Fin.

Relevance?

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Brilliance said:
also, btw, I strongly believe that any Extraverted Sensor, who has learned and studied how to Type people, for years...

has a distinct advantage over all other types, in typing people, quickly/rapidly/with ease.

because we are really good at sensing! duh

so basically, I type incredibly quickly, because I can sense minute facial expressions/tweaks/details really quickly.
almost...picture-like.

my eyes are like a high-end digital SLR camera.

Does anyone here see issues with this statement?

I

Infinite Bubble

intuitors only do emotional damage, and thats somehting i consider myself immune to. look at sensors, emotional damage is their weakness.

I think this deserves a place here.

Dancing_Queen

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Does anyone here see issues with this statement?

The whole post is an issue, I wouldn’t know where to begin :shrug:. I’ve learnt the hard way one should never discuss certain themes with a sensor, only smile and nod.
I don’t wanna get wrinkles before my time;).

I think this deserves a place here.

Hello again, [MENTION=17266]Infinite Bubble[/MENTION]:hi:.

Indeed this was one of the finest moments of MBTI typing history:newwink:

But believe it or not he is finally making sense as of late, while his writing style is still...interesting.

One question: does our sources have to come from this forum? I have some amazing contributions from somewhere else.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Why is my quote nonsense? I'm wondering what's wrong about assuming most ENFPs would have at least a few key general traits in common.

idk, does anyone here actually think the great one is a an enfp mistyped as entp?

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If people would spend half the time they spend taking notice of fails taking notice of wins instead, they would become wiser and more pleasant.

Jaguar

Why is my quote nonsense? I'm wondering what's wrong about assuming most ENFPs would have at least a few key general traits in common.

The Myers & Briggs Foundation said:
The MBTI instrument sorts for preferences and does not measure trait, ability, or character.

http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-personality-type/mbti-basics/

Examples of traits are: nice, naive, and nervous.
If someone claimed they prefer E-N-F-P, how does that make them nice? It doesn't.

S

Society

http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-personality-type/mbti-basics/

Examples of traits are: nice, naive, and nervous.
If someone claimed they prefer E-N-F-P, how does that make them nice? It doesn't.

wrong - well, yes his quote is nonsense, but not because it describes traits - what would you call being a [insert function]-dom if not a trait? the disclaimer is just 90s style "trying to be pc and non judgmental" crap. he's wrong because he is pushing the dichotomy of mind onto a dichotomy of life - he's stereotyping intuitive's to have no consequences or actions in the real world, and thus only their theories can have an impact (and thus at best impact people intellectually or emotionally).

Jaguar

Mane, after pages and pages of incessant whining about your alleged INFJ wife's behavior, then taking it out on all those INFJ women in this forum, as if they're all somehow just like her, I wouldn't expect anything else from you other than "wrong."

I

Infinite Bubble

Hello again, [MENTION=17266]Infinite Bubble[/MENTION]:hi:.

Indeed this was one of the finest moments of MBTI typing history:newwink:

But believe it or not he is finally making sense as of late, while his writing style is still...interesting.

Hi. :) Ah, I'm glad to here that, but still, the quote was pretty special for typological baloney. I still wonder what thought processes lead to that conclusion (and all the other stuff).

Dancing_Queen

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
"There is not 1% sensor brain in me."

If he/she has any type of brain in them they're doing a disservice to it.

/they don't understand you because your not doing a very good job communicating yourself or giving them enough of an incentive to make them try to understand you. also if you know 10 people, statistically there's a good chance 4 of them are intuitives, so why aren't those understanding you?

This is what I've been trying to explain to someone on another thread for five pages. Yet they insist that the whole world is too stupid to understand their superior intelligence, while failing to see it's them that do a poor job of illustrating their views.

Why didn’t I find this thread before??? It’s PURE GOLD.

Here, some classy displays of intelligence:

Sorry, but you're not an 8, far more likely the 7w8 than 8w7, and ESFP.

Your Extraversion is very apparent. "I don't know if I could ever see myself as idealist, I'm quite realistic and even cynical about people, it's very hard for me to believe someone has changed for the better," you're a strong Sensor. You indicate many, many spontaneous Perceiving traits. 'I strive for "win-win" situations' is one of your few Feeling descriptions. Most of your post shows Extraversion and Sensing.

He gave a diagnosis complete with Ennegram type and wing, after reading one post out of several long ones I made, including a page long questionnaire. I won't post the Enneagram part because this thread is about MBTI, but let me tell you it's based on one person he knows.

This person popped up on my thread only AFTER I informed people I had been professionally tested as an ENFP 8w7. When I asked him if he thought he knew better then the two psychiatrists that tested me he disappeared :dry:

After years of listening to my INFP sister and her INFP friend scream "god isn't real" at random passerbys, chant the same phrases ad infinitum as loud as possible, and generally conduct themselves without a scrap of regard towards the external world, I've come to understand the territory of Ne.

It is certainly absurd.

Absurd, indeed. Not to mention the lovely grammar.

Also, look for the girl who is slighly disheveled in appearance - like has a leaf stuck in her hair, and her blouse on inside out and walks into doors.

The old ENFP stereotype.

This is not what I have extrapolated from my studies.

Se would host a dinner party primarily for fostering a good atmosphere for company, for example.

Ne would host a dinner party primarily to foster healthy social connections.

Ne looks for "what they can get" out of something. Se looks for the general pleasure of experience.

It's pretty well laid out; I even remember reading this on Socionics forums...

No comments necessary on this one.

From the same genius:

Se is so hipster, btw. It does what it wants almost always. Ne is about as close to the stylized view of Fe as it gets.

Well, let's think about the two poles of Se and Ne. Se is blindly charging forth, brute force prying open every nook of possibility.Ne is what, then? It is sizing a situation and manipulating the variables to forcibly produce an outcome. There's no real way around it...

He knows all about Ne, obviously.

I've been typed things from "monster INTP" to "transcendent of functions". But if you feel this rift too wide, simply because I identify ISTP and you identify ENFP... so be it.

I would love to know where he was going with it. On a second thought, I wouldn't.

on the functions thing: infp's world is totally alien to me, so cant be that. and in general i have trouble connecting with Fi's, its as if they just wont let me connect to them with my empathy, idk why! =S (i suppose, its as in socionics says the merry vs serious difference, that fi's are too serious, thus afraid of conencting to people.)

"It's on MBTI that we have a "Shadow Type", which is the opposite of our normal cognitive functions. There's no such a thing in Enneagram."

yes, mine is Ti + Se, dont know which order, but i always occasionally just stop all this contemplation stuff and get all content, just being happy nonproductive idiot. in fact, im having one of those moments right now..

i just thought, it would be very much fun to pretend an esfj and say, in a group situation, out of topic, nonchalantly, in a total retard voice enthusiastically: "i feel like fucking." =D (its so ironic, that sensors cant differentiate my sarcastic acting from who i actually am. =] )

"Always occasionally"

You don't say :dry:

Because saying idiotic things it's an ESFJ trait, of course.

imagine you were me. when you look at other people, youd see colourful shapes radiating, sparkling and consuming you. these colours are their feelings. and their mbti type, ennea and instincts affect these colours shape, tone, qualities and colorations. thats one part of how i decipher peoples types. my second method is pattern seeking.

The last one is actually just the beginning of the most epic MBTI related thread I've ever had the questionable pleasure to read.

[MENTION=17266]Infinite Bubble[/MENTION], would know :D

Dancing_Queen

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hi. :) Ah, I'm glad to here that, but still, the quote was pretty special for typological baloney. I still wonder what thought processes lead to that conclusion (and all the other stuff).

In order to do that you’d have to survive our last 4 or 5 posts. Which I’m not sure you’d want to try :unsure:.

But it’s very illustrative of how traumas and environment can affect a person, and it’s useful in relation to MBTI.

I’ve learned a lot despite the suffering trough horrible grammar, punctuation and lack of proper use of forum codes :D.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I have some amazing contributions from somewhere else.

Amazing contributions from somewhere else will do, the purpose of this thread is to help us avoid the most common and the most severe typological fallacies.

Dancing_Queen

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Amazing contributions from somewhere else will do, the purpose of this thread is to help us avoid the most common and the most severe typological fallacies.

All right, I wouldn't want to break rules when my stay here has been great so far.