User Tag List

First 1725262728 Last

Results 261 to 270 of 276

  1. #261
    girl with a pretty smile Honor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so
    Posts
    1,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Oh, I mean the other way around, like how the public generally takes "smarter" to be "better". Perhaps it means more able, but better is a subjective, personally-determined value thing. Like let's say you are looking at partners... do you want a partner who is smart? Yes, of course, the vast majority does. But do you want a partner who is good at math? Well, you might not care, really. That sort of thing. The idea that "intelligence" is particularly linked to being "better" in general, while many other variables that are part of what we generally consider intelligence come out being less linked to worth when they are isolated.

    I do agree of course that Js probably have an advantage in capitalistic systems... I think Ss have it better in basically any situation that requires being observant... Ts of course are better when dealing with rigid logic systems... and so on...

    It just bothers me how much crossover there is between classification, like typology, and individual worth. It seems to me we should start out assuming that all people have worth because they are humans too, and take it from there.
    I think we actually agree on many things, but we're having a lot of analytical dissonance simply because we value different types of analysis. For example, I agree with you that a person's value doesn't come from whether they are "intelligent" by someone's standard. I also don't believe that a person's worth is determined by how much they make, what type of work they do, and the myriad other criteria that our economic system (and thus, our society) uses to determine how useful a person is. I think all of that is absurd, really. I have a feeling you agree.

    However, here's where I do think we clash: I don't think that we should limit analysis simply because of how people will use the output of that analysis. I do think it's very important to consider that people decide who to value and who to put down based on labels like "intelligent" or its opposite. I think it's important to consider that those labels are often assigned incorrectly and that the resulting actions are often unethical. All of that said, I don't think that means the problem is that "intelligence" has not been defined, is not defined correctly, or is not a valuable concept. People will always take information and appropriate it into inappropriate circumstances. (In other words, even if we withheld evaluation of "intelligence" in the way I think you desire, people would still find ways to keep the exact same people from holding social or economic power.)
    RobertCalifornia: TL thinks im black
    RobertCalifornia: shes my homegurl
    Hive: arent you
    SpankyMcfly: wait... you arent?

    thoughtlost: I am not really religious. I just like getting free stuff from churches.

  2. #262
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Honor View Post
    I think we actually agree on many things, but we're having a lot of analytical dissonance simply because we value different types of analysis. For example, I agree with you that a person's value doesn't come from whether they are "intelligent" by someone's standard. I also don't believe that a person's worth is determined by how much they make, what type of work they do, and the myriad other criteria that our economic system (and thus, our society) uses to determine how useful a person is. I think all of that is absurd, really. I have a feeling you agree.

    However, here's where I do think we clash: I don't think that we should limit analysis simply because of how people will use the output of that analysis. I do think it's very important to consider that people decide who to value and who to put down based on labels like "intelligent" or its opposite. I think it's important to consider that those labels are often assigned incorrectly and that the resulting actions are often unethical. All of that said, I don't think that means the problem is that "intelligence" has not been defined, is not defined correctly, or is not a valuable concept. People will always take information and appropriate it into inappropriate circumstances. (In other words, even if we withheld evaluation of "intelligence" in the way I think you desire, people would still find ways to keep the exact same people from holding social or economic power.)
    Well, I don't actually think we should withhold anything - more propagation of quality information, I think, is what is needed, along with less plutocracy. But of course there is very little motivation for people to give up their money and lower their quality of life so that others can benefit.

  3. #263
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Well, I don't actually think we should withhold anything - more propagation of quality information, I think, is what is needed, along with less plutocracy. But of course there is very little motivation for people to give up their money and lower their quality of life so that others can benefit.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  4. #264
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    If only that were what it were really about!

    I wonder how they decided on the god of the underworld to name the doofy dog.

  5. #265
    girl with a pretty smile Honor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so
    Posts
    1,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    But of course there is very little motivation for people to give up their money and lower their quality of life so that others can benefit.
    Exactly. Even amongst people who purportedly devote their careers for the benefit of the underprivileged, I've found it incredibly rare to find anyone who wants equality if it means giving up even the smallest portion of their own social or economic capital. Wanting anything for anyone's benefit other than one's own is a characteristic that this society preys on.
    RobertCalifornia: TL thinks im black
    RobertCalifornia: shes my homegurl
    Hive: arent you
    SpankyMcfly: wait... you arent?

    thoughtlost: I am not really religious. I just like getting free stuff from churches.

  6. #266
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Honor View Post
    Exactly. Even amongst people who purport to devote their careers for the benefit of the underprivileged, I've found it incredibly rare to find anyone who wants equality if it means giving up even the smallest portion of their own social or economic capital.
    Straw dog.

    It's never been about equality versus money, but equality versus liberty.

    Obviously, if I have less money, I have less liberty.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  7. #267
    girl with a pretty smile Honor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so
    Posts
    1,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Straw dog.

    It's never been about equality versus money, but equality versus liberty.

    Obviously, if I have less money, I have less liberty.
    wtf, you just made your own argument moot. if money and liberty are directly related, then if it's equality vs liberty, it can also be about equality vs money.

    for example, if x is directly to y, then if you're measuring a variable k against x, you can also get a sense of k by measuring y.

    also, wtf to "straw dog." i believe the term is "straw man."
    RobertCalifornia: TL thinks im black
    RobertCalifornia: shes my homegurl
    Hive: arent you
    SpankyMcfly: wait... you arent?

    thoughtlost: I am not really religious. I just like getting free stuff from churches.

  8. #268
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Honor View Post
    wtf, you just made your own argument moot. if money and liberty are directly related, then if it's equality vs liberty, it can also be about equality vs money.
    But if liberty is taken from a rich person then all that money becomes worthless.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  9. #269
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Poimandres View Post
    O gosh, all these gay INTP super-genius uber-epic almighty-Architects of everything are the most freaking annoying people in existence!

    They think that they're like the smartest people in the world, can build all these amazing systems, and design the master blueprints for the ignorant slaves to render.

    If you question their incredibly complex and boring logic, they will annihilate you with the most powerfully devestating arguments conceivable, leaving you crying your brains out for a week!

    And worst of all, they have no respect whatsoever for upholding the sacred traditions of society or putting on the right face to please people.

    They truly are the most despicable creatures in all of Typology. It's pathetic really, watching them all worship at the alter of Kerisey and chanting his antichrist bible!
    You have INTP-ness envy!
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  10. #270
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will
    Posts
    5,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    I'd rather be the master-mind type. Fuck Keirsey!
    Another good option is to go for the Mastermind-Healer, or the Architect-Inspector.

Similar Threads

  1. [ISTJ] How NOT to Mislead an ISTJ?
    By Bubbles in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-03-2015, 03:37 PM
  2. [ENFJ] ENFJ Communication/ how not to annoy them?
    By paddington bear in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-16-2011, 08:23 PM
  3. ENFJ Communication/ how not to annoy them?
    By paddington bear in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-07-2011, 09:35 PM
  4. [ISTJ] How not to pursue an ISTJ
    By raz in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 94
    Last Post: 09-15-2010, 12:24 PM
  5. How not to geocache
    By Martoon in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-23-2008, 04:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO