User Tag List

First 132122232425 Last

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    That's uh lot uf words to basically say that *gasp* practice makes perfect... eventually, etc.
    No, that's just dumbing it down. If practice made perfect, patzers playing thousands of games on random chess sites would have been masters by now. Players who constantly analyze their games and integrate theoretical insights into their play are the ones who tend to improve the most.

Also have a bunch of amateurs
    I appreciate your aggressive argumentative energy and polemical zeal, but I am afraid you're oversimplifying the situation. While almost nobody on this forum makes a living by studying typology full-time and is clearly an expert on this subject, not everybody is a neophyte either.

make passive aggressive guesses in a thread where no real forward thinking is activated seems like a verbal.
    That's not true, most posters who cite abuses of typology tend to point out the author's initial error and recommend a stronger line of argument.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    That's not true, most posters who cite abuses of typology tend to point out the author's initial error and recommend a stronger line of argument.
    Provide examples to shore up the defensive walls of your Camelot of Win.

For my side I provide: the forum at large in all of its quivering jello ways and saucy sundry moments.

Anew Leaf

Actually scratch that. I think we need to have a concise and precise definition of "abuse of typology" in all of its various demon forms. The better to provide the forum and its users with appropriate exorcisms as needed.

Constantine, where are thee now?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Provide examples to shore up the defensive walls of your Camelot of Win.

For my side I provide: the forum at large in all of its quivering jello ways and saucy sundry moments.
    Not sure what you've just said, but I don't have time to go back and forth with you. If you want examples of how people provided superior methods of argument to the abuses of typology you've cited, they're all over this thread.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

Anew Leaf

Not sure what you've just said, but I don't have time to go back and forth with you. If you want examples of how people provided superior methods of argument to the abuses of typology you've cited, they're all over this thread.
    Ah yes, I see what you mean right here:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...10#post2130410

This one is possibly the Greatest Post Of All Time In This Thread.

so, your thoughts on this, dare I say? Genius' ideas?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Actually scratch that. I think we need to have a concise and precise definition of "abuse of typology" in all of its various demon forms. The better to provide the forum and its users with appropriate exorcisms as needed.

The initial framework for that has already been provided in the OP and supplemented by my recent post on Kerseyism.

Constantine, where are thee now?
    You won't build Rome in a day, a concise and a precise definition of abuses of typology is the end-result of this inquiry, we're at least a few dozen posts away from that.

Anew Leaf

The initial framework for that has already been provided in the OP and supplemented by my recent post on Kerseyism.

You won't build Rome in a day, a concise and a precise definition of abuses of typology is the end-result of this inquiry, we're at least a few dozen posts away from that.
    Well, I am not quite sure that typology is the same to Rome as cheese is to the moon, but for the sake of this moment... I am with you, man. let's fight the power together.

Perhaps since I am a recent convert you could answer my questions up above for they were not satisfactorily covered in the small OP of this here thread.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

We're getting around to it.
    Somehow I doubt that. It has been more than 6 months already.

You should acknowledge the fact that you've been using this thread to feed a (false) sense of superiority and learn something with the experience.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Somehow I doubt that. It has been more than 6 months already.
    What's the rush? Let everyone make their contributions and then we will analyze the input in our concluding assessments.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    You should acknowledge the fact that you've been using this thread to feed a (false) sense of superiority and learn something with the experience.
    I don't know if that's a fact, but I appreciate your attempt to psychologize my motives. Please carry on, the value of your incisive critiques can never be underestimated.

Perhaps since I am a recent convert you could answer my questions up above for they were not satisfactorily covered in the small OP of this here thread.

I am not looking for converts, but in a nutshell, the abuse of typology is essentially a deviation from the original principles Jung laid down in Psychological Types. For Jung, type represented general cognitive tendencies and that is why he primarily analyzes works of poetry, philosophy and the sciences in his attempts to shed light on the key characteristics of each type. Modern typologists, from Isabella Briggs to Keirsey repudiated Jung's method and reconstructed typology as an analysis of highly visible behavioral traits that are taken to be the defining characteristics of each type. The problem with this approach is that it commits the fundamental attribution error or the unwarranted assumption that one's behavior is a reflection of his or her fundamental temperament rather than that of circumstances. As you may see, the evidence that most of the authors of fallacious quotes cited in this thread frequently misinterpreted the way people behaved in response to certain situations for infallible indicators of their type.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I don't know if that's a fact, but I appreciate your attempt to psychologize my motives. Please carry on, the value of your incisive critiques can never be underestimated.
    As you wish.

Based on what I've gathered in this thread, you're basically a failed author who believes his work is superior to Isabel Myers' and Keirsey's.

Correct so far?

So when observers watch the failed author criticizing the work of the accomplished authors without giving them any merits whatsoever, what can they usually conclude about the motivations behind it?

Then you begin to see yourself as the word of Jung, while all the other typology attempts are regarded as 'folk typology'.

Tsk tsk.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------