User Tag List

First 6141516171826 Last

Society

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Who stated it? Hell, you can't even get the original source correct.
    Go email the Myers & Briggs foundation and tell them they're full of shit.

Knock yourself out.
    rofl, they said what they needed to say to avoid negative social reactions & the stigma that comes with it out of previous faulty systems attempting to distinguish the nature of individuals (eugenics, race, etc), it's you that is reading a PC disclaimer completely out of context and in flat out contradiction to the nature of MBTI. simply put, if it is describing anything - real or hypothetical - those can only be defined as personality traits. their statement is reasonable within a social context, your naive interpretation of it isn't - and you are the source of that.

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

In response to me saying that an NT should be able to handle criticism:
    Well you clearly couldn't handle it when I told you what I like. If you "were" an NT you clearly handle my comment as well without flying off the handle like you did.
    For the record, I think it is a myth (and a bad way of doing typology) that thinkers are better at taking criticism than feelers. I was being facetious, holding this person to common (I think false) standards, which he proceeded to uphold.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post

For the record, I think it is a myth (and a bad way of doing typology) that thinkers are better at taking criticism than feelers. I was being facetious, holding this person to common (I think false) standards, which he proceeded to uphold.
    This is a pretty accurate example of how I deal with criticism in the workplace.

"I'm just here so I won't get fined."

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Lol, I love it!

For the record, I think it is a myth (and a bad way of doing typology) that thinkers are better at taking criticism than feelers.
    If you "were" an NT you clearly handle my comment as well without flying off the handle like you did.
    Whoever posted that hasn't seen the last 5 years of several female NTs losing their cool in this forum.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    this isn't really the argument i was making (i don't see much value in arguing that someone is incompetent unless i'm debating whether i should hire them) , but while we're at it: an incompetent judge of figure-skating is judging a skill set whose quality can be divorced form how well one understands it, so even without understanding why he's good and applying the same criteria to the students he can still be good. in contrast, if your judging people's physics tests and you corrected people that E=MC^7000, then either you or einstein really screwed up. likewise with typology, when you judge how it's applied you are contrasting someone else's understanding of it with your own - you are demonstrating your application of typology in the process, your showing what assumptions your making and your showing your take on it.

it would be wrong to assume that people of a certain type would make the disposed error in judgement without knowing anything about their capacity for critical thinking prior to them making one at all, but once they are making the error in judgement it wouldn't be incorrect to make note of it's predisposition. let's say you had two groups of L.D. students, both can overcome it and become very proficient in related fields and it would be incorrect to assume they couldn't - but once you see someone isn't overcoming it, it wouldn't be wrong to diagnose what L.D. they have based on identifying the obstacles they have most difficulty with. doing the first isn't the same as doing the later.
    Thank you for your nifty ripost, almost seems like you've kicked the habit of speaking with your mouth full.

Whoever posted that hasn't seen the last 5 years of several female NTs losing their cool in this forum.
    I think this is part of a more general category of fallacies I'd describe as "Keirseyism" that essentially equates certain virtues of character with one's four letter temperament code. NTs are cool-headed and analytical, NFs are compassionate and sentimental, SJs are dutiful and loyal and SPs are adventurous. I'd say Keirseyism is the most prevalent typological fallacy on MBTI forums, would you agree with that statement?
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    I think this is part of a more general category of fallacies I'd describe as "Keirseyism" that essentially equates certain virtues of character with one's four letter temperament code. NTs are cool-headed and analytical, NFs are compassionate and sentimental, SJs are dutiful and loyal and SPs are adventurous. I'd say Keirseyism is the most prevalent typological fallacy on MBTI forums, would you agree with that statement?
    If you're defining Keireyism as what is contained within your post, of course I agree. Furthermore, the line of thought: "If you do X, you can't possibly be a certain type" needs to be eradicated. Why can't an NT be compassionate? Why can't an NF be uncompassionate? If the truth is more difficult to accept, how many will choose the path of least resistance? For many, it's easier to regurgitate stereotypes.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    ^ at least now i know what one can expect from you

let me guess - you've being hiding on PerC? anyway, while people using the N/S dichotomy to rationalize their "nobody understands me" angst is one of the most common things i've seen, it was actually addressing posts by a specific person here. but i've being trying to play nice - by the thread rules - with no mention of origins. i'm not sure if i agree with that (a bit like talking behind someone's back)... but i guess it avoid derails.
    I was actually talking about another thread on this very forum. Good for you you're not aware of it, it's not very good for most people's nerves.

I do realize that, but it's a fitting explanation to what was going over that at the time, so I thought I'd comment on that.

I also don't think this is talking behind someone's backs, I had someone I quoted private message me earlier so I think at least some of them are aware.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

If you're defining Keireyism as what is contained within your post, of course I agree.
    Yes, Keirseyism is the principle that certain qualities of character are to be regarded as a consequence of their temperament.

Why can't an NT be compassionate? Why can't an NF be uncompassionate? If the truth is more difficult to accept, how many will choose the path of least resistance? For many, it's easier to regurgitate stereotypes.
    Keirsey didn't quite say that, but it is easy to see how such conclusions seem to follow from his premises. If certain virtues of character such as compassion stem from one's "NF" temperament, it would follow that an absence of such a temperament entails an absence of compassion. It seems that the central fallacy of Keirseyism is that it exaggerates the influence that one's temperament carries upon the development of virtuous character traits. There are many ways to cultivate morally commendable traits and they all take enormous dedication and a temperament is largely influenced by one's innate biological dispositions.

I'd say Keirseyism contains numerous traits including but not limited to the following.

1. Presence of a certain temperament leads one to cultivate admirable character traits
    2. Absence of a certain temperament is to be interpreted as synonymous with an absence of the traits in question
    3. People of some temperament by their nature have more admirable qualities than people of other temperaments, at least from the general perspective of the Western culture concerning what is considered praiseworthy
    4. Because temperaments shed light on one's immutable and fundamental personality qualities, it is possible to determine the professional or a social environment that any person is best suited for simply by knowing their temperament.
    5. Temperaments by definition consists of virtuous character traits, hence, if someone has been identified as a member of a privileged temperament group and seem to lack those qualities, their membership in the group must be revoked. This seems to lead to the conclusion that most people cannot be typed accurately with Keirsey's Temperament Sorter, otherwise his profiles would not be fraught with lavish and gratuitous praise for each of the 16 temperaments.
    6. When someone apparently engages in action that is associated with a certain type, it should be assumed that they do so because their Temperament leads them to do so and not because of external circumstances that have nothing to do with their personal identity. This is the Fundamental Attribution Error.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

garbage

Haha, this is among the top contenders for "the best one in this whole thread"