User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    MBTI
    Enneagram
    0w0

Default Can personality psychology be bad for you?

i think ive arrived to the point where im obsessed with fitting myself into psychological equations with ideas of how and what each variable means in the total equation which is me, but i dont think im calculating right any more, because of the emotional involvement i have with my identity and lack of distance to observe myself from outside, makes this ultimately feeble and impossible.

And that i take each variable as limitation rather than an opportunity to my identity.

Thus i think it would be better to be typed face to face with people without emotional involvement to your identity. But eugh, am i still obsessing with these matters too much. To the point of possibly obsessive compulsiveness. Which is how ive spent my past two years.

So is it just me or are other people obsessing with this, taking it a liittle bit too seriously?
    healthiness is all about appreciating other peoples inferior function. its like the sore spot no one ever notices, but we desperately wish they did, and if you focus on doing that, youll have many friends. and also learn to appreciate your own inferior function, others wont find it stupid if you show them how cool it is.

INTJ 4w3 Sp Sx. (i dont believe in tritype. i do believe in learning traits from others.)

mistakes happen. expect them, and grow from them. look for them, and avoid them.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

It can be bad for those who mistype themselves, or for those who mistype other people, which would also lead to misunderstanding.

Ideally though, personality systems should ultimately help us understand ourselves better, and not be a tool of separation.

garbage

Use the time-honored tactic of exaggeration to absurdity.

Just think to yourself--"Oh, shit, what's my Holland Code?" When you chuckle at yourself internally, you'll realize how inconsequential that system is--and then, just like that, you'll free yourself from giving a shit about any of the personality systems and categories.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Can personality psychology be bad for you?
    Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Yes, indeed!

Although like any tool it's usage is the most important factor into how true this becomes.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTP

I believe it distances one from others, socially and mentally. One is on a different 'wavelength', so to speak. One is arriving at conclusions that others have no concept of, let alone the building blocks of said conclusions. I may be incorrect, however.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by ehcriktic View Post
    I believe it distances one from others, socially and mentally. One is on a different 'wavelength', so to speak. One is arriving at conclusions that others have no concept of, let alone the building blocks of said conclusions. I may be incorrect, however.
    I agree. It creates imaginary divisions between people, which are focused on endlessly. That's not very useful.

Glycerine

I think much of it can be. Although it can help frame differences and similarities, a lot of interpersonal issues go beyond the scope of personality theory. Most people are fucked up in some way. Some much more than others (which gets incorporated into our interaction style with others). People rely on theory too much to explain behavior and are convinced that they can predict behavior using it.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

It can be bad when you start to overidentify yourself and other people with personality labels.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

If you don't overextend it's application, and just stick with Myer's idea that type is just preference, it isn't a big deal.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    I agree. It creates imaginary divisions between people, which are focused on endlessly. That's not very useful.
    But people just don't think the same way - like it or not. The MBTI, however imperfect it is, tries to find out where they think differently. People who have problems with MBTI by misusing it on other people and themselves also have problems with people who think differently.