User Tag List

First 123 Last

WALMART

Bad for you, yes.

Edit: But don't get discouraged. Every time you're wrong you'll grow. I made some jaunty juxtapositions starting off.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Yeah, it definitely can be.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

If it's becoming unhealthy it's only because you're doing it wrong.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    If it's becoming unhealthy it's only because you're doing it wrong.
    ?

Can homeopathy be bad for you?

Can phrenology be bad for you?

Can mbti be bad for you?

Personality Psychology is called Psychometrics.

And mbti is not part of Psychometrics.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I think it can be good or bad. People can have a tendency to take things too literally. If you form your identity based on some personality type stereotype, I think that is about as useful as forming your identity around being a Gemini or a Scorpio. It's complicated because I think it can actually be a great help if you get the type correct, if you take it with some grains of salt and and consider it as providing some useful data points in an overall picture vs defining you. It can help you understand yourself better. If someone doesn't know who they are though and they are looking for MBTI or Enneagram or something else to define themselves, it could actually be detrimental. @SolitaryWalker used to talk about some of these types of things and I believe he had some valid points.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Totally....

It can lead to paranoia and indecision.... If you looked seriously at most 'psychologists' theories and applied it to their own lives you'd be shocked they can boil an egg let alone achieve a PhD! Somewhere along the line this stuff got chiseled in stone and the whole 'industry' forgot that this was just approximation and that science/philosophy/psychology are still fairly blunt tools, sadly with many hubristic full advocates.

There are loads of utterly stupid theories not given a warning sticker... Seriously do you really think that Freud's Oedipus Complex applied to anyone? Yet guff like that was and still is taken seriously by some psychoanalysts; and people put their trust into it. I wonder at times what damage this has done to people, often the most vulnerable.

Attempting to shoehorn your life into any theory isn't a good idea, it can breed a dependancy on psychology and leave you doubting far too much. I look at the skeptic movement which seems to have turned inwards on itself and instead of being a bastion of virtue for humanity seeks to undermine and ridicule that which makes us human. It seems utterly academically unacceptable and almost career suicidal to even hint that humans might be kinda alright. But look around you, does life really approximate to most psychological/skeptical findings? Hardly in my opinion. Psychology somewhat overplays its hand, it's a nice route map at times but it isn't the road, it's a welcome friend at times but it isn't the gatekeeper of your life.

Pinch of salt needed....

NB... I forget who but I remember a philosopher saying that "... You can learn more about the human condition reading say Anna Karenina than you can in the whole of psychology's library"

He was being slightly tongue in cheek, but he had a valid point....
    Last edited by StarChild; 01-25-2013 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Addition

MBTI
    MBTI
    Enneagram
    0w0

ok, im fairly sure in my new conclusion, that im in a Ni Ti loop restlessly devouring any thoughts i can imagine, and oh do i feel stupid, cause even as deep as my view is, im completely blind to whats next to me. I think i desperately need an Ne dom to open my eyes like how they often do to me.

And the reason im in this loop is cause my Fe is overloaded with pain, too much so that i can barely even stand using the function anymore.

I wonder how long this state of clarity will last, as madness will soon ensue again..

I know i need to find some form of hope as the concrete integration point for my 9w1 and Fe which is the integration point itself. I used to gain it from faith in intelligence before this loop, guess i could try restoring that..
    healthiness is all about appreciating other peoples inferior function. its like the sore spot no one ever notices, but we desperately wish they did, and if you focus on doing that, youll have many friends. and also learn to appreciate your own inferior function, others wont find it stupid if you show them how cool it is.

INTJ 4w3 Sp Sx. (i dont believe in tritype. i do believe in learning traits from others.)

mistakes happen. expect them, and grow from them. look for them, and avoid them.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    It can be bad when you start to overidentify yourself and other people with personality labels.
    I agree with this and the gist of all the other comments made.

It should be used to open possibilities for growth, not to confine behavior to a fixed set based on some predetermined and (likely) inapplicable standards.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft