User Tag List

First 123 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Eilonwy View Post
    Tangent: It reminds me of when I heard a story about Coco the gorilla. Through sign language, her humans determined that, while we think of the future as being ahead of us and the past behind us, Coco saw it the other way around because the future is something that you can't see, so it's behind you, and the past is something you can see, so it's in front of you.
    like Discworld trolls!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

no really, i propose a far easier explanation:

in those calendars people put on the wall, a day earlier is "up" compared to a given day, and a day later is "down". Thus all these people misteriously referring to meetings being moved "up" (earlier) and "down" (later).
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

SP here, when I heard the "move up" phrase I literally moved my hand up, and so I thought it was like pushing the day back.

Not sure if correct or wrong?
    C#2-C#5-F#5
    3 octaves, 2 notes and 1 semitone
    Supported range: F#2-F#4-C#5

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Vetani View Post
    SP here, when I heard the "move up" phrase I literally moved my hand up, and so I thought it was like pushing the day back.

Not sure if correct or wrong?
    better than thinking of the theme song to "The Jeffersons"

it can ALWAYS be worse!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Glycerine

I have a much harder time when someone tells me something is due at 12:00. I think that's why I love military time.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I don't hear anyone saying "move up a day" or "move back a day". That would be horrendously confusing and I have no idea what either of those mean. I would imagine both of those as "later than originally planned", actually. Maybe that phrasing is more common in the US? What I'm more used to would be something like "move the meeting earlier" or "move the meeting later", which isn't ambiguous.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I don't really know that terminology, I've never really heard people use "moving up" or "moving back," and I really hope they don't start.

However, when I guessed what it meant, I guessed wrong. To me, it makes more sense to me think of time in terms of forwards and backwards. We always talk about going back in time, and we mean the past when we say this. Naturally, going forwards in time means going to the future.

I view time as being like an invisible river that flows through all of space in one direction. If you let the current carry you forward, or swim with it, you end up in the future. If you have the capacity to paddle against it, you could go back against the current... perhaps even to the river's origin, the beginning of time.

I asked an INTP friend of mine, and he sees it in the same way I do... although his description was way more complex, involving mathematics.

To me, the issue here really isn't about linguistic precision or whatever, to me, space and time are the same thing; I find that they are essentially intertwined in a way that they cannot be truly separated. When you talk about "next Tuesday", you mean going from point T to T1. You are traveling through space as "time" passes, so when I think of an event that is moved "up", I see it as something that is farther away. For example, if we have a plane with four dimensions, the fourth dimension contains the actual event, and when it is moved "up", it is moved farther along in the positive direction of the x-y-z axis.

So this is a simple chart of how I see it. The blue bars are the fourth dimension, as you can see they intersect our normal three. The point T is Tuesday (now), and T1 is next Tuesday. Now, if you are at, say, some point M (Monday, right before T), and someone said, "we're moving the event up", then it would go to T1, because it's being pushed up through time, and thus along the axes. When something is "moved back", it's closer to the point of origin, and thus closer to your current point, and thus closer (sooner in time).

I suppose that for me, I tend to see time more spatially... though I see it as an element of a larger spatial object (the fabric of the universe, for instance) and that it moves through that, and in turn we move through that.
    So the NJ prediction of Lenore's worked for me, but it didn't work for the INTP... he seems to have been just as confused as I was. I personally think it's a very confusing way of referring to time, and that there's a good reason I've never heard it used before.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Multidimensional growing, living spiderweb. Ever forward.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    better than thinking of the theme song to "The Jeffersons"
    Great minds think alike.

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    no really, i propose a far easier explanation:

in those calendars people put on the wall, a day earlier is "up" compared to a given day, and a day later is "down". Thus all these people mysteriously referring to meetings being moved "up" (earlier) and "down" (later).
    HAH! That is how I see the explanation also. Up/forward would be going towards 1, down/backwards would be going towards 30/31

Bunch of headaches though, just give me a date.