User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Default Can anyone give me scientific proof that mbit or cognitive functions exist?

Not too long ago, someone saw one of my youtube videos and tried to tell me that I was a dumbass and that mbti nor jungian functions existed. They have actually done this with several people that have posted mbti videos and they try to debunk their theories. However, their theory is based on a set of four cognitive functions that go completely contradictory to any modern theory of how the brain works. Here is the video and you will see just how ridiculous his theory is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTTCj...eature=mh_lolz

I pretty much have observed the patterns in my head and know that mbti and cognitive functions exist. However, my problem is that I have Ne, which picks up the psychological patterns naturally and just intuitively understands them, but yet I can't just show people what I pick up with my intuition so it makes it hard to convey to others what I see. Then, I have Ti which is a very internally based logic and it is hard to explain to people what makes logical sense to me as well. I have tried and tried to convince these people that mbti is real, and their theory is shit but I can't find any concrete scientific evidence on mbti or functions. Can anyone show me some scientifically credible evidence?

I'm assuming it was Pod'lair who made this statement? I've had dealings with them before (I think they blocked me after I called their leader, Adymus a sensor when I went into ad hominem attack mode against him) and they are essentially a religion, seeking to only supercede or destroy MBTI so they can flourish instead. Which ever way is easiest but they are irrational; from their simplistic understanding of morality to their goal to "heal the world" which is completely removed from reality. NFgeeks made a long video about them and they did not enjoy it one bit.

I think the best "evidence" you will get is Nardi but that's not saying much. My understanding of functions (though perhaps its just judging functions) is that a "function" is just a general term for a collection of neurons and its connections in a certain area(s) of the brain. The bigger the quantity of neurons and the higher degree of connections and complexity in the respected "governed" area of the brain, the stronger the function. It's a simplifed definition of the whole process and no matter whether functions do or do not exist does not invalidate what your mind does. Your inner world and personal experiences do not need the permission of a scientific theory to be considered valid and real.

I personally think at the end of this MBTI, the Big 5, Enneagrams and Socionics will all be superceded and sent to the dustbin of history without any chance of synthesis simply because I think they are holistic interpretations which will be bested by neuroscience which can operate and observe at a much more refined and precise level. It would be like replacing Newtonian physics with Einstein's. In the end all that will happen is that you would replace being an NeTi user to someone with "a large amount of activity in neurons located in location xyz with an ability to light up large amounts of neurons in area abc when he has a good idea."

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Scientific proof doesn't exist because they aren't really in the realm of science. It's more a categorizing/labeling system which is basically arbitrary but self-consistent enough to be useful in describing human interaction. More like a language than a scientific explanation. Science is a very specific method for understanding more concrete, observable, quantifiable, falsifiable things. Typology is a descriptive model which can be used to predict human interaction - some observation has been used to form the models, but that doesn't make it scientific.
    -end of thread-

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Neuroscience of Personality: Brain Savvy Insights for All Types of People

•How type shows up in the brain
    •How background, age, gender, and type all blend
    •The trick to engaging people of various types
    •The link between emotions and type
    •How to present type from a neuroscience perspective

source - http://www.ccc-apt.org/node/175
    Dario’s interests and teaching include social neuroscience, artificial intelligence and robotics, personality and organizational behavior, modeling and simulation of complex systems, and undergraduate curriculum design. Methods include computer models, live group simulations and phenomenological research. The core theme is “social situated action” — understanding behavior through a “systems” lens.

source - http://www.personalityapps.com/Perso...s/Welcome.html

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

No one can provide scientific proof because MBTI/typology is not science.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

It exists, believe it or not. Introversion and extroversion have been scientifically established. I think we're getting closer to establishing sensing and intuition. T/F and J/P...well, if there's scientific evidence, I ain't read those articles yet.

garbage

This doesn't answer your question directly, but I wouldn't put too much stock in Pod'lair.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Honor View Post
    It exists, believe it or not. Introversion and extroversion have been scientifically established. I think we're getting closer to establishing sensing and intuition. T/F and J/P...well, if there's scientific evidence, I ain't read those articles yet.
    I have read many accounts of demonstrated connections between E/I and brain physiology. More recently, I have started to see papers connecting traits associated with J/P to physiology as well. People attempt to connect F/T differences to hormones, though I'm not sure how credible that is, as people with similar hormones can display vastly different preferences on this scale (more study needed). I have not run across anything (yet) relating to N/S.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

WALMART

Geology doesn't exist, thermodynamics doesn't exist, astronomy doesn't exist.

More contextually accurate: economics doesn't exist, political science doesn't exist, paleontology doesn't exist, and on, and on, and on.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Standuble View Post
    I'm assuming it was Pod'lair who made this statement? I've had dealings with them before (I think they blocked me after I called their leader, Adymus a sensor when I went into ad hominem attack mode against him) and they are essentially a religion, seeking to only supercede or destroy MBTI so they can flourish instead. Which ever way is easiest but they are irrational; from their simplistic understanding of morality to their goal to "heal the world" which is completely removed from reality. NFgeeks made a long video about them and they did not enjoy it one bit.

I think the best "evidence" you will get is Nardi but that's not saying much. My understanding of functions (though perhaps its just judging functions) is that a "function" is just a general term for a collection of neurons and its connections in a certain area(s) of the brain. The bigger the quantity of neurons and the higher degree of connections and complexity in the respected "governed" area of the brain, the stronger the function. It's a simplifed definition of the whole process and no matter whether functions do or do not exist does not invalidate what your mind does. Your inner world and personal experiences do not need the permission of a scientific theory to be considered valid and real.

I personally think at the end of this MBTI, the Big 5, Enneagrams and Socionics will all be superceded and sent to the dustbin of history without any chance of synthesis simply because I think they are holistic interpretations which will be bested by neuroscience which can operate and observe at a much more refined and precise level. It would be like replacing Newtonian physics with Einstein's. In the end all that will happen is that you would replace being an NeTi user to someone with "a large amount of activity in neurons located in location xyz with an ability to light up large amounts of neurons in area abc when he has a good idea."
    Yes it was Pod'lair. I really hate that guy. I've provided the guy with boatloads of evidence to support my theories and they just shoot it all down. However, they in contrast, offer no evidence to support their theory what-so-ever.