User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 19

  1. #1
    undergoing self-analysis louiesgonnadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    206

    Default Am I more Ni or Ne? (very complex!)

    I am an internally (and somewhat externally) suspected INTP, yet in ways I feel kind of skeptical about it, and now I'm a little skeptical of the idea I may have Ne as an auxillary function. To start:

    If I'm not lost in my thoughts or depressed about something, I sometimes do look at the external world and take unrelated ideas and make something funny out of it. I recently concluded that snapbacks look like severed duck heads, just a little wider. I do pretty well at looking at a deformed shape and pinpointing what it looks like. I consider multiple possibilities at the same time, even when something seems likely. I think about how a certain response could be taken in various ways from someone. As a child, I loved building things out of almost anything, and decorating legos and creating little cities, and would pretend I was Godzilla sometimes. My sense of humor is very observational, and it can "train" sometimes, as in, one funny comment will lead to another related funny comment, and so on. I took a earlier joke from one of my favorite comedians and modified the hell out of it, I won't go into extra detail about that right now. I'm good at rhyming words or weaving them together for comedic purposes, for example, "there was once a cat who ate so much crap, he got so fat that all he did was nap". I feel like I'm lacking in knowledge right now, and I vision if I had more, I could do so much more with my possible Ne. In other words, my possible Ne is weak due to my weak knowledge base of things I can relate external things to.

    However, I have gotten better at reading people. I look into a comment someone may say, or frequent facial expressions and behaviors, and it will open up an explosion of possibly related data in my head, and then draw possibilities of what this person may be like based off of that, and give me above average reliability of an impression, yet amazingly I am not quick to judge or conclude just based of of that external data, and consider other possibilities. I can predict what may happen next based on past history, or obvious patterns. I am always forming possibilities of anything in my head, and I'm usually stimulated by movement or music to generate new thoughts and ideas. I have always been a future oriented thinker, and have planned my future at times, sometimes prematurely and irrationally (when I was a kid, this was just due to my resilliance). I sometimes have "aha!" gut feelings that come out of nowhere. My foresight has gotten better.

    Therefore, it seems there is an Ne/Ni overlap here, and it is hard for me to pinpoint the preference.

    I may come up with some more about me later, but this is enough data for you guys to work on and analyze. Cheers.

  2. #2
    Junior Member Emerill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTp
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Let's go over the basics of these functions.

    Ni doesn't necessarily mean you can't come up with a variety of ideas. It does consider a variety of ideas but cuts ideas out as other, better ideas come along. Basically, it gathers a lot of information, and considering ideas as they come along, then fine tunes them, snipping ideas away and shaping them until Ni is satisfied.

    Ne does the opposite. It takes one idea and though it considers all of the possibilities, it's not as quick to cut ideas away. It will keep every idea that comes along, going on and on, creating a web of ideas. If you've seen an INTP or INFP trying to make decisions, for example, they're not quick to form a decision, from considering all of the options, and when they come up with a decision, they still leave other options. An INFJ or INTJ, Ni dominants, come up with decisions rather quickly, and stick with it, cutting out the other possibilities once deemed unnecessary.

    Though you've written a lot of details, I can't quite pick through it enough to see either of these two basics.

    These lines:
    "I think about how a certain response could be taken in various ways from someone."
    "My sense of humor is very observational, and it can "train" sometimes, as in, one funny comment will lead to another related funny comment, and so on."
    " I look into a comment someone may say, or frequent facial expressions and behaviors, and it will open up an explosion of possibly related data in my head, and then draw possibilities of what this person may be like based off of that, and give me above average reliability of an impression, yet amazingly I am not quick to judge or conclude just based of of that external data, and consider other possibilities."

    Sound like Ne
    You're most likely an Ne user.

  3. #3
    undergoing self-analysis louiesgonnadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emerill View Post
    Let's go over the basics of these functions.

    Ni doesn't necessarily mean you can't come up with a variety of ideas. It does consider a variety of ideas but cuts ideas out as other, better ideas come along. Basically, it gathers a lot of information, and considering ideas as they come along, then fine tunes them, snipping ideas away and shaping them until Ni is satisfied.

    Ne does the opposite. It takes one idea and though it considers all of the possibilities, it's not as quick to cut ideas away. It will keep every idea that comes along, going on and on, creating a web of ideas. If you've seen an INTP or INFP trying to make decisions, for example, they're not quick to form a decision, from considering all of the options, and when they come up with a decision, they still leave other options. An INFJ or INTJ, Ni dominants, come up with decisions rather quickly, and stick with it, cutting out the other possibilities once deemed unnecessary.

    Though you've written a lot of details, I can't quite pick through it enough to see either of these two basics.

    These lines:
    "I think about how a certain response could be taken in various ways from someone."
    "My sense of humor is very observational, and it can "train" sometimes, as in, one funny comment will lead to another related funny comment, and so on."
    " I look into a comment someone may say, or frequent facial expressions and behaviors, and it will open up an explosion of possibly related data in my head, and then draw possibilities of what this person may be like based off of that, and give me above average reliability of an impression, yet amazingly I am not quick to judge or conclude just based of of that external data, and consider other possibilities."

    Sound like Ne
    You're most likely an Ne user.
    This makes sense, but I also feel like I can relate to Ni sometimes since on occasion, I may temporarily dismiss ideas and focus on just one or two at a time.

    But I'm not very in touch with myself, so.....

  4. #4
    FRACTALICIOUS phobik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7,368
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

    Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

  5. #5
    undergoing self-analysis louiesgonnadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Based on that, combined with all of the other research I have done on Ne, I feel like I do indeed have an Ne preference. It appears a little weak though due to my lack of knowledge.

  6. #6
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by louiesgonnadie View Post
    Based on that, combined with all of the other research I have done on Ne, I feel like I do indeed have an Ne preference. It appears a little weak though due to my lack of knowledge.
    If you're sure of your Enneagram 6 typing, it's not surprising that you associate with Ni. I feel like 6s try to do a lot of the same looking ahead and predicting that Ni users do, so we end up thinking a lot like that at times. You do sound slightly more Ne than Ni to me too, though.

  7. #7
    undergoing self-analysis louiesgonnadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    If you're sure of your Enneagram 6 typing, it's not surprising that you associate with Ni. I feel like 6s try to do a lot of the same looking ahead and predicting that Ni users do, so we end up thinking a lot like that at times. You do sound slightly more Ne than Ni to me too, though.
    I took another enneagram test and got type 5, and I've been suspected as a 5w4, so I'm personally leaning towards that at the moment.

  8. #8
    Tier 1 Member LunaLuminosity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    2,484

    Default

    It all has some bit of an Ne flavor, not really much to indicate Ni (though I understand Ni is kind of harder to get at).

  9. #9
    FRACTALICIOUS phobik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7,368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    It all has some bit of an Ne flavor, not really much to indicate Ni (though I understand Ni is kind of harder to get at all).
    FYP.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

    Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

  10. #10
    undergoing self-analysis louiesgonnadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    206

    Default

    It's funny that a lot of people are saying I'm Ne because I posted a video of myself on another forum as a reference to try and create a better idea of my personality type, and someone thought I was Ni-dom based on my facial expressions, hand gestures, and based on some of the things I said.
    Last edited by louiesgonnadie; 01-23-2013 at 07:11 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] Discerning Ni or Ne. Any explanations?
    By Bea Hale in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-29-2017, 03:34 PM
  2. Ni versus Ne: is one more optimistic / pessimistic?
    By lamp in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 05-06-2016, 05:11 AM
  3. IXFP Is this Ni or Ne in action ?
    By j colour in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-06-2015, 12:37 PM
  4. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 02-16-2013, 11:56 PM
  5. Inspiration for Story-writing and Cognitive Function: Ni or Ne?
    By Ribonuke in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-22-2012, 01:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO