User Tag List

123 Last

Infinite Bubble

Default Type and personal space

Which types really dislike having their personal space invaded? Also, which types tend to invade peoples space without regards to how the other person feels about this? There's an annoying person at my college who constantly does this to everyone, deliberately getting up close and being immature, that's how it got me wondering.

WALMART

infp's are pretty resistant to approach, when they've got that mindset.

estp's are probably most in your face.

I don't like it myself. Depends what kind of invasiveness it is though. If you're spastic and loud, I'll do something immediately. If you're just unsettling a power structure I'm used (like a newcomer displaying dominance or trying to redirect everyone), they're not as easy targets as the goofy ones, so I'm not as impulsive. But someone goes down eventually (and sometimes it's been me). Then there's a third type that invades my space (I might say ESFJs), who sort of "volunteer" me into doing social or "helpful" things. I don't like it, but I'm not as pissed either. Their intentions are ok.

Ime, INFx's are usually prone to fall into the former and Exxx's the latter.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    xxTP

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    Which types really dislike having their personal space invaded? Also, which types tend to invade peoples space without regards to how the other person feels about this? There's an annoying person at my college who constantly does this to everyone, deliberately getting up close and being immature, that's how it got me wondering.
    It's probably cultural as well. If you're in a Latin country, everyone is up close. If you're in an Anglo Saxon country you have to stand like 10 metres from someone to talk to them. Or like when your friend sits across the aisle from you on the metro and you have to shout at them to talk, even though there was a space next to you.

And don't get me started on talking to Muslim women. The men stand close to each other but you have to stand like 100 metres from any woman, it's like fuck it I'll send you an email.

So yeah maybe it is slightly type related, but cultural differences are greater than type differences, and types within the same culture, will be more similair than same types across different cultures.

I don't see why it's an INF thing. Can you explain the theory behind that? I just have my experiences. I have an ESFJ neighbor, for example, who's tried to show up on my doorstep and get me to move pieces of furniture or fix a garage door. You think any ITP jumps for joy with those requests? Whatever it is I'm immersed in - no matter how pointless - it's vastly more important than you. Or if I'm at a party, talking to a girl, and some jackass keeps poking his head into the conversation and tells crappy jokes.. you think I'm going to join along.. because, what, I'm like some "hip" exhuberant SP who loves bullshit like this? More than likely, I will choke him.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Not sure if it's type related. I know I'm more than usually sensitive about it, but I don't think it's an ISTP thing. Introverts, for sure, but I'm not sure beyond that.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    <---- really dislikes having my personal space invaded. Really. If you do it, I may simply remove you/have you removed. If you do it on purpose, you might get hurt, then removed.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I view these things kind of as spectra with intx being at one particular extreme in this case and perhaps esfp at the other. The real answer is of course that people who grow up in rural areas are more likely to require more personal space whereas people who grow up in urban environments require less. It has to do with the population density of the place you grew up in with perhaps even the culture of the individual home you grew up in, etc contributing
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    The real answer is of course that people who grow up in rural areas are more likely to require more personal space whereas people who grow up in urban environments require less.
    Oh, that's an interesting theory. I did grow up in a rural area.
    -end of thread-