User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Type and personal space

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    There are plenty of private individuals in urban areas hurling pots and pans downstairs, telling everyone to STFU.
    That could get expensive if you own decent cookware. Or do you retrieve it after the temper tantrum?
    When all else fails, claim it's rigged.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    That could get expensive if you own decent cookware. Or do you retrieve it after the temper tantrum?
    I'm not speaking for myself. I live in a suburban area. It's OK, I guess, except for highways and movie theaters.

girl with a pretty smile Array Honor's Avatar
    1w2 so

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    I'm not usually fond of giving or receiving it. I think I broke typology

But then, I didn't grow up with it, either. I think this issue is more nurture (upbringing and culture) than nature.
    lol, don't worry, I know an ESFP who said she hates being hugged. That amused me.

Hmm, I always think of myself as an easy-to-approach person, but I have to say, now that I live in a big city, I feel like my personal space is being invaded all the time. I hate having so many people walking so close to me on the street and having so many strangers approaching me. With my friends/family, I'm always accused of being the affectionate one, though.

Alchemist of life Array Coriolis's Avatar
    5w6 sp/sx

I understand the influences of culture, and even rural/urban in that city dwellers usually live in much closer quarters with others, literally rubbing shoulders with strangers routinely. Type is a separate factor, whose influence becomes convolved with the others. An introvert in the city, or growing up in a culture where touching and closeness are commonplace, may develop a greater tolerance for it or greater strategies for handling it, but still won't necessarily like it. For an extravert, these tendencies instead reinforce each other.

I am certainly toward the end of the spectrum that wants to maximize personal space. I don't like to share my workspace, don't like to sit in crowded theaters or lecture halls, and despise the close quarters of airplanes and even airport waiting areas. I can count on one hand the people whose hugs I actually enjoy, and the number whose hugs I will tolerate is quite limited. (Shaking hands is fine.) One thing that annoys me about associating with women (perhaps just older women?) is that they feel a need to touch while we are talking - just a pat on the arm, or a hand on the shoulder - not prodding or guiding in any way, more as if to emphasize a point. But why??? I have learned to anticipate this and step back, or just stand out of range entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentF View Post
    so if we are to have a social bond, my hands or lips will be on you in some socially-acceptable way.* i'm perceptive enough to be affectionate in a respectful manner, though. which is why i waited a full two years to tickle one of my close INTJ friends--he looks like Tickle Me Elmo-meets-Saruman when i do.
    I suppose it is good, then, that we came to know each other online.
    Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it. We should remove the carrot and walk forward with our eyes open. -- Raistlin Majere

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Array Cellmold's Avatar

I'm not sure on this. I have a lucky environment where most people only touch to shake hands or greet with a brief hug and kiss if female.

I used to hate crowds of people or any area in which I had to be in close proximity to anyone. However now i'm older and more experienced this anxiety is almost non-existent. In fact one girl at work loves to hug me all the time and there is even one lady in particular at my mum and dad's climbing club where I GIVE her a hug.

My physical size is another factor. I wouldn't say i'm huge but I am fairly tall and some can find that imposing so i'm rather self aware of my body, albeit still clumsy nonetheless.
    "An upsidedown wire heart
    Being sucked into a periscope
    Still the mind is dull
    Like you need another excuse"

… a theory is primarily a form of insight, i.e. a way of looking
    at the world, and not a form of knowledge of how the world is….
    .. all our different ways of thinking are to be considered as
    different ways of looking at the one reality, each with some
    domain in which it is clear and adequate….
    - David Bohm

insert random title here Array Randomnity's Avatar
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    I'm guessing yours is much larger than average.
    Out of context quotes FTW!
    -end of thread-