User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Oh, that's an interesting theory. I did grow up in a rural area.
    I wouldn't say it's rural here, but wide open. My brother grew up the same way, but ended up moving to NYC (and before that Houston), and think it's the shit. I never thought of him as extroverted, but maybe he is and likes all the contact. To me, it's bad around here in busy shopping plazas. I'd hate to be in a whole city like that.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

I think the rural/urban is an interesting aspect, but I'd expand that concept into general imprinting from nurture, whether on a more cultural level (what someone mentioned earlier when contrasting more stoic & self-sufficient northern europeans vs. more close-knit latino or southern european cultures), or just an immediate-family level (which filters down into attachment styles - some ppl really pushing back on relationships and needing tons of space, and on the opposite side, some ppl becoming more prone to co-dependency and clinginess, which would transcend E/I).

But yeah, obv. introverts need more space and alone time as a general rule. There are just a lot more factors to layer on top of that.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

I prefer to have as much personal space as possible, especially if I'm approached by strangers. Close friends and family I'm fine with the touchy-feely stuff. I'm selective with these things.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    The real answer is of course that people who grow up in rural areas are more likely to require more personal space whereas people who grow up in urban environments require less.
    I don't know that I necessarily agree with this. With my family and friends, I'm known for needing a lot of personal space. I rarely even hug my own parents and I can't even think of the last time I kissed them. I've lived in the same suburban area all of my life and I have three siblings (all boys, if it matters). Between my younger brothers, there is a bit more touching when we are tackling each other, but it isn't really affectionate.

In contrast, I know another girl who has lived here all her life, but she is overly affectionate and touchy (physical sense), to the point where it could be super uncomfortable to interact with her a lot of the time. She was just too close to me and would occasionally touch me when she spoke...and she does it with everyone. Like most people that know me for a while, she eventually took the hint that I didn't like touching people, but she still does this with other people. She has a younger sister and two very young brothers if it matters.

I know you're just speaking in general terms, but this girl and I contrast so much that I felt it was noteworthy.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mia. View Post
    I will also add I seem to have no middle ground. Either do not touch me, or not only do we touch, but I am all over you with affection. I love touch, but my criteria for being a candidate is rigorous, so once you've been selected for touching, you become my outlet for it with all its force.
    +1. For me pretty much only an SO fits into the touching category. So I tend to annoy them with that.
    -end of thread-

garbage

I'm not usually fond of giving or receiving it. I think I broke typology

But then, I didn't grow up with it, either. I think this issue is more nurture (upbringing and culture) than nature.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I'm really ok with touch. If you want to hug me, pet me (non-sexually), kiss my cheek, even, I'm fine with that. But then step back.

Time and place matters a lot to me, too, for this stuff.

So this is about hugging and touching? And here I am not even wanting people to knock on my door.

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    So this is about hugging and touching? And here I am not even wanting people to knock on my door.
    Woah! Introversion confirmed x1000000.

So here's a fancy image.

I'm guessing yours is much larger than average.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    I'm guessing yours is much larger than average.
    It depends. I can hang around people. I just try to decide as much as possible when that happens.