First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    I've always related to having strong stereotypical manifestations of the right-brained individual, but Thomson seems to define the referred cognitive elements a bit more intuitively (iow I don't think she is implying types are strictly left-brained and right-brained, but using hemispheres as a visual basis for explanation.) I understand we're wondering more about physical brain-activity. As for her book, I really suggest ignoring the stereotypical preferences of J vs P when reading it and give each type a new perspective. Her book is a bit too in-depth to be worrying about stereotypes, especially those which seem mostly influenced from life-induced propensities. There is more clarity of psychology in her explanation.

I also reworded the above post slightly.
    I understand what she is trying to say and from what I understand, she's also trying to map the J/P to the brain sides based on that people who are a certain way are so because they have a preference for their left or their right hemisphere. I also think modern neuroscience has proved that model quite unrealistic and not very much in line with what we know today which further invaildates the connection she's trying to make in my opinion. Not becuse the idea she had itself was bad but I think she should have researched it more before she tried to make such connections.

I was waiting for the day you and I would meet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Youtuber | The Typologist Blog | Redditor | Message me!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

I should remind everyone (and I keep forgetting myself), that this theory was actually not invented by Lenore Thomson. It is Jon Niednagel's "Brain Types": http://braintypes.com
    He even has a table, which I've never seen before, where all of the dichotomies are assigned different meanings regarding the brain: legendsm.jpg
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Based on that list Im def a perceiver. But I can make that dancing ballerina rotate in both directions so I guess my brain is just awesome overall.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

Infinite Bubble

Quote Originally Posted by LeaT View Post
    I have this image of an INTJ brain from Nardi's research (all of it can be found online but hey, saves you the hassle) where the INTJ uses almost the entire right hemisphere:

Attachment 9223

Also, even though my supposed Jungian type is INFP and the F function is strongly correlated to some parts of the left brain, I also identify more with being right-brained person. I am not entirely sure how Nardi differentiates between Myers-Briggs typing which really just measures what Jung called the persona and actual cognitive functions.
    Thanks. Yes, that theory really is much better than the others. I'm surprised at Feeling being correlated to the left brain though. I would have assumed it would be more T domain. Are J functions more left brain in general then?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Double-post.
    Attached Images Attached Images

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    Thanks. Yes, that theory really is much better than the others. I'm surprised at Feeling being correlated to the left brain though. I would have assumed it would be more T domain. Are J functions more left brain in general then?
    Let me upload all of the brain scans I got and you can see yourself:

Notice on the INFP scan how an area is strongly blue on the left hemisphere and how it relates to an ability to listen well to other people which I think is kind of crucial when we talk about the INFP brain mapping for example.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

The apparent contradiction between the theories regarding "right" and "left" could be a result of each theory describing different layers of the brain (it is three dimensional, afterall).
    Last edited by Eric B; 03-26-2013 at 10:51 AM.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Let me upload all of the brain scans I got and you can see yourself:

Notice on the INFP scan how an area is strongly blue on the left hemisphere and how it relates to an ability to listen well to other people which I think is kind of crucial when we talk about the INFP brain mapping for example.
    I want to see the ENTP brain scan.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    I want to see the ENTP brain scan.
    Sorry these are the only ones available. I asked Nardi before but he told me to buy his book. Generally speaking it shouldn't differ much to the ENFP scan though because the aux is barely discernable on scans. Nardi said that there is for example almost no difference between an ENTJ and ESTJ brain.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Sorry these are the only ones available. I asked Nardi before but he told me to buy his book. Generally speaking it shouldn't differ much to the ENFP scan though because the aux is barely discernable on scans. Nardi said that there is for example almost no difference between an ENTJ and ESTJ brain.
    There are a couple of things to note. First, the diagrams are diagrams of individuals, not averaged diagrams of multiple individuals, so they may not reflect any kind of weighted average of a given type. Plus, when his book was published, he only had 3-5 scans per type (which really isn't enough to get a clear picture of what a weighted "average" for a given type would look like).

And, Nardi was telling that truth in that in the sample ESTJ scan in his book is very close to his sample ENTJ scan. The differences are mostly that F7, F3, T5 and C2 show a bit less use for the sample ENTJ compared to the sample ESTJ, but F4, C4, P4, T4, and O2 show a bit more activity for the ENTJ. Still, definitely not very close different, overall.

This makes some sense given that Ni is generally related to periodic use of a global brain state, and not associated with any particular neocortex region. While, conversely, Si is related to specialized use of particular regions (so Nardi's guess is that it results is more variation based upon experience among Si-doms than for some other types).

Note that Fi (halo regions), Ti (central regions), and Te(quick decision making regions) are associated with specific brain regions, while Se (tennis hop), Ni(zen), and Ne (Christmas tree) are associated with more global brain patterns. Si is associated with training and repetition leading to "burning in" of specific brain regions. Fe is less clear, but appears to be associated with T4 (about social feedback) and T3 (about analyzing aspects of speech) and maybe one or more inner analytical regions (kind of like Ti).