User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    Ni
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    EII

Sure, this is a 1 hr lecture he gave @ google it gives an overview of his study. Watching this prompted me to purchase the book because I really couldn't find many online sources.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGfhQTbcqmA

TypeC also has a thread and the feed back from other who have read the book provide some insight.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...rsonality.html

I'll check the link you sent out to and i'll keep digging around online to see if there are some useful sources I missed.
    "Re-examine all that you have been told... dismiss that which insults your soul."_Walt Whitman

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by iNtrovert View Post
    Sure, this is a 1 hr lecture he gave @ google it gives an overview of his study. Watching this prompted me to purchase the book because I really couldn't find many online sources.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGfhQTbcqmA

TypeC also has a thread and the feed back from other who have read the book provide some insight.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...rsonality.html

I'll check the link you sent out to and i'll keep digging around online to see if there are some useful sources I missed.
    Thank you. This man's theory needs to be crushed.

deleted

According to Thomson, Js are not "decision"-making types but simply have an easier approach making judgments where little information is present. Similarly Ps are not types that hold off, they actually gather information more quickly. Instead, Tx and Fx primaries are mostly the decision-makers and Nx and Sx primaries moreso embrace open-ended information. Stated always in the foundation of her work, the actual difference between Js vs Ps are defined as "characteristics" of left-brainedness vs right-brainedness (though not physical hemisphere use.) Her definitions of J are construed as long-term efficiency and P is construed as immersion of the current situation, ie.

Judgers (functions of Te, Fe, Ni, Si)
    - Find it easier to ignore sensations wherever possible
    - Prioritize the knowledge of things instead of perceiving the reality
    - Are slow to perceive, rely on a predetermined understanding
    - Focus on conceptualizing and defining
    - Accept one thing at a time, ie:
    - "Don't disrupt my current state-of-mind by giving me new information. My goal is efficiency."
    - Desire instead to put one's preconceived ideas and principles into effect, to test them
    - IJs (Ni and Si): Conceive a long-term general understanding
    - EJs: Utilize a long-term general understanding

Perceivers (functions of Ti, Fi, Ne, Se)
    - Find it easier not to hold permanent ideas or opinions
    - Instead prioritize the materialization of the event at hand, the impacts being made
    - Slow to judge, rely on cues to make decisions
    - Focus on immersing in and supporting the situation
    - Accept all things at once, ie:
    - "Don't disrupt the event unfolding by drawing attention away from it, towards one specific concept or thing."
    - Desire instead to sharpen one's perspective with new context
    - IPs (Ti and Fi): Find the most relevant current reaction or solution
    - EPs: Have the most attuned immediate clarity

Source: "Personality Type"

So in a lot of ways she is saying that Js promote efficiency and Ps promote practicality, in whatever personal ventures they support. Is more energy spent toward revising and upholding the system, or is it more spent toward taking and observing the right actions in real-time? The functions go something like this:

Ni and Si - conceptual information gathering
    Ne and Se - experiential information gathering
    Ti and Fi - experiential decision-making
    Te and Fe - conceptual decision-making
    Last edited by 527468; 03-25-2013 at 08:26 PM.

I'm generally in support of Thomson, but I consider myself left brained.

OTOH, it could be that I'm right brained, but simply know the weaknesses and pitfalls (I've fallen into them before).

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Nardi's research suggests that the areas that correspond to Ti to be on the left hemisphere but I don't think it's that easy to pinpoint. The only type that I know is very clearly left-brained according to Nardi's research is the ExTJ and INxJ is very clearly right-brained. The rest of the types seem to on average use about an equal amount of both hemispheres.

There are many things I like about Thomson (her function descriptions for example) but her theory about brain use is not one of them and I think she's stretching too far, especially since she has absolutely zero to back up why a type would use this side over another side.

I was waiting for the day you and I would meet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Youtuber | The Typologist Blog | Redditor | Message me!

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    According to Thomson, Js are not decision-making types and Ps are not information-gathering types. Tx and Fx primaries are mostly the decision-makers and Nx and Sx primaries are mostly the information-gatherers. Stated always in the foundation of her work, the difference between Js vs Ps are defined as common characteristics of left-brainedness vs right-brainedness, ie.

Judgers
    - Support ignoring perception where possible
    - Focus instead on the knowledge itself
    - Prioritizing conceptualization
    - "Don't disrupt my thoughts by giving me new information. My goal is general efficiency."
    - IJs (Ni and Si): Conceiving a long-term general understanding
    - EJs: Utilizing a long-term general understanding

Perceivers
    - Support not holding any strong opinions
    - Focus instead on the materialization of the event at hand
    - Prioritizing immersing in the immediate situation
    - "Don't disrupt the event unfolding by drawing attention away towards a specific concept or thing."
    - IPs (Ti and Fi): Finding the best immediate solution or reaction
    - EPs: Having the best immediate engagement

Source: "Personality Type."

So the functions go something like this:

Ni and Si - conceptual information gathering
    Ne and Se - experiential information gathering
    Ti and Fi - experiential decision-making
    Te and Fe - conceptual decision-making
    Going by those descriptions, I fit J more than P.

I also get INTJ on Lenore's test.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

deleted

Quote Originally Posted by LeaT View Post
    There are many things I like about Thomson (her function descriptions for example) but her theory about brain use is not one of them and I think she's stretching too far, especially since she has absolutely zero to back up why a type would use this side over another side.
    I've always related to having strong stereotypical manifestations of the right-brained individual, but Thomson seems to define the referred cognitive elements a bit more intuitively (iow, I don't think she is implying types are left-brained or right-brained, but uses hemispheres as a visual basis for explanation.) I understand we're wondering more about physical brain-activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Such Irony View Post
    Going by those descriptions, I fit J more than P.

I also get INTJ on Lenore's test.
    As for her book, I really suggest ignoring the stereotypical preferences of J vs P when reading it and give each type a new perspective. Her book is a bit too in-depth to be worrying about stereotypes, especially those which seem mostly influenced from life-induced propensities. There is more clarity of psychology in her explanation.

I also reworded the above post slightly.
    Last edited by 527468; 03-25-2013 at 03:51 PM.

Infinite Bubble

Quote Originally Posted by LeaT View Post
    INxJ is very clearly right-brained.
    I'm glad you brought that up, because as a supposed J, I've always related to descriptions of the right brain, usually thought of as the most holistic and "artistic" side (even though the entire theory has been debunked, I believe). So when I read about Thompson's theory that Ni is a left brain function, and Judgers in general being left brained, I began to doubt my type.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    I'm glad you brought that up, because as a supposed J, I've always related to descriptions of the right brain, usually thought of as the most holistic and "artistic" side (even though the entire theory has been debunked, I believe). So when I read about Thompson's theory that Ni is a left brain function, and Judgers in general being left brained, I began to doubt my type.
    I have this image of an INTJ brain from Nardi's research (all of it can be found online but hey, saves you the hassle) where the INTJ uses almost the entire right hemisphere:

intj.jpg

Also, even though my supposed Jungian type is INFP and the F function is strongly correlated to some parts of the left brain, I also identify more with being right-brained person. I am not entirely sure how Nardi differentiates between Myers-Briggs typing which really just measures what Jung called the persona and actual cognitive functions.

I was waiting for the day you and I would meet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Youtuber | The Typologist Blog | Redditor | Message me!

I think J/P temperament theories have turned things into a bit of a mess. If I went by Jung, the Ni doms would be the right brainers. In MBTI, they're more conscientiousness. If I used religious terminology, they're monks and nuns. The Jungian INFJ in religious terminology is more stream of consciousness. Poet or prophet (I kind of have Patti Smith in mind). The latter is totally right brain.