• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

mbti vs big 5

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
met with an intj friend today and we chatted a little. i tested him before and he took some psych classes and got intj. he seems pretty healthy but he seems pretty content with sitting on the couch vegging out. he is far more resistant to being open than anyone i know. new possibilities and such that sometimes i wonder why i come around. if i were to describe him, he is reserved and extremely conservative, not really creative. no nerdy interest.

i honestly thought intuitives were more open minded broad minded and consider things just further out and explore ideas. i had him take the big 5, it seemed more inline with his personality. there seems to be greater variation than mbti in the big 5 and a little more closeness to accuracy. just an observation. mbti is bunk im sure everyone knows this already but just reiterate, big 5 has more variation and is a little more closer than mbti.

Folderol

MBTI Type
INTP
Big 5 (aka SLOAN aka OCEAN) is more advanced and takes neuroticism into account. Remember, Carl Jung (the basis for all fo this) was coming up with his ideas WAY before computers all that we know nowadays. And MBTI was around World War II!

However, I think the reason why its' not caught on in popular on forums like this becuause 4 letters are easier to remember and it has all the books and papers around it. It's not just INTJ, it's the strategiest or mastermind, etc. What the hell od you call a RLUEI?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
big 5 might give more accurate %'s, but the meaning behind the %'s is lacking, Jung typology and other derived from it offer much more in this field. big5 is more like "hey im 64% E", but so what? also when it comes to things like extraversion in both systems, big 5 again is quite bland and focuses on behavior more than things that actually come with having extraverted mindset, which isnt so much about sociability, assertiveness, how enthusiast and positive you are etc. those are just some of the products of what comes from extraversion, but Jungs typology looks at what this extraversion which creates these things actually is. same goes with the rest of the big5 scales, except neuroticism, which is the only scale that doesent correlate significantly to MBTI scales.

G

garbage

Some folks (even some psychometricians, including one of my profs) aren't fond of the lack of theoretical depth of the Big Five compared to other frameworks. I'll admit that there's not exactly much to discuss about the Big Five.

Some people fit better in certain models than other models. I've heard some say that their Big Five results don't describe them as well as their MBTI types, and vice versa.

A

Anew Leaf

I find the descriptions for the Big 5 to read pretty much like a suicide note.

roastingmallows

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
met with an intj friend today and we chatted a little. i tested him before and he took some psych classes and got intj. he seems pretty healthy but he seems pretty content with sitting on the couch vegging out. he is far more resistant to being open than anyone i know. new possibilities and such that sometimes i wonder why i come around. if i were to describe him, he is reserved and extremely conservative, not really creative. no nerdy interest.

i honestly thought intuitives were more open minded broad minded and consider things just further out and explore ideas. i had him take the big 5, it seemed more inline with his personality. there seems to be greater variation than mbti in the big 5 and a little more closeness to accuracy. just an observation. mbti is bunk im sure everyone knows this already but just reiterate, big 5 has more variation and is a little more closer than mbti.

Totally! To some of that at least...

I actually think it is interesting the way MBTI and SLOAN can interact. They are similar in that a lot of the scales seemingly correlate, but there are some subtle differences. The other day I read a post in which someone listed all the common SLOAN to MBTI types, and it was pretty predictable. ESFP-SXUAN, INFP-RXUAI, INTJ-RXOEI, etc. (The only letter unique to SLOAN of course being L vs. C), so basically they were saying I is the same as Ntuition and Sensing is the same as non curious, which I don't think is fair to say. I score sc|U|ai on SLOAN, though I am pretty close to the n/i line.

I really don't think MBTI is as you say "bunk". Jung described cognitive processes. It's less concrete than SLOAN. Just because two people have the same cognitive functions, that doesn't mean they will act the same way or have the same interests. That just means they both process information in a similar manner.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I remember the Big 5.

Took a test when Robert Winston was presenting Child of Our Time and he introduced it.

Scored fully on neuroticism and extremely low on everything else.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6

I'd agree that MBTI is full of it, but it's just a branch of function theory, not the whole thing. Just ignore it and big out the good stuff from the rest of the works decended from Jung's ideas.

As has been mentioned before, the big 5 is more of a method of describing someone than a way of understanding people.

True, but to be fair, most descriptions of the big 5 are terrible.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

In the SLOAN system, certain 'types' are clearly more desirable than others. Extraverted, Calm, Open, Agreeable, and Conscientious is the best way to be. Any deviation from this is going to make you sound undesirable. MBTI is not like this. No 'good' or 'bad' types. Just different ones.