User Tag List

View Poll Results: STs/NTs - Are values-based decisions valid in your opinion?

17. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm ST and yes they are.

3 17.65%
  • I'm ST and no they are not.

0 0%
  • I'm NT and yes they are.

12 70.59%
  • I'm NT and no they are not.

2 11.76%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ts - Using values in decision making

values are necessary to tip the scales between two equally reasonable choices

I'm NT and yes they are, especially if they're mine. :P
    What a waste of life..

Values are the deciding factor between two or more equally rational choices.

Even beyond that, one choice may be more rational simply because of values or other subjective factors.

I think it's clear from the poll so far that values are important. I am not sure why people question feeling type's values when Ti dominated types react the same way with their principles. They're two sides of the same coin except values pertain to a mutual group and principles can be for one person.
    prin•ci•ple –noun
    1. an accepted or professed rule of action or conduct: a person of good moral principles.
    1. the ideals, customs, institutions, etc., of a society toward which the people of the group have an affective regard. These values may be positive, as cleanliness, freedom, or education, or negative, as cruelty, crime, or blasphemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Clarify what you mean by "valid"?

I may disagree with someone's decisions, whether T-based or F-based, but that doesn't make them invalid...what does?
    This kind of thread easily slides into semantics. As pointed out, the definiation of “valid” is subjective, which is to say that, at the end of the day T’s are subjective too. Everyone is subjective. Deciding whether T or F is the more valid means of arriving at a decision is subjective. All you can really say is that Ts are more pragmatic than Fs; their 1st priority is usually on what works ahead of how people feel, not that they don’t care about how people feel.
    "Space was big, and the boys from Earth were awed despite themselves by the things they found there: but worse, their science was in a mess. Every race they met on their way through the Core had a star drive based on a different theory. All those theories worked, even when they ruled out one another’s basic assumptions. You could travel between the stars, it began to seem, by assuming anything.”

—M. John Harrison, “Light”